A new word added to the verboten list

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Saint_of_Killers, Dec 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. BOBAFETISH Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I think your post would have been more powerful had you not used the word "crap", which is a synonym for "@%&!". Maybe you should leave if discussions of policy in the communications forum upset you so.

That said, I can understand why MOFO is banned, and why people with children wouldn't want it here.
  2. rogue11lovesjag Jedi Master

star 4
    Pardon my choice of language, then. But crap is not obscene, and there is no other way to describe the nitpicky trials that our mods are put through day to day. I'm also not making my point with a word used on the List, and one that is offensive to most people like the words under discussion here.

~Rogue
  3. BOBAFETISH Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I hear you, Rouge, and I myself have no problem with any offensive language. I just found it ironic that you argued against using a synonym for a banned word(mofo) by using a non-banned synonym(crap) for another bad word.

I honestly do agree that Mofo crosses the line, though.
  4. jada_marnew Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    A lot of people, some who are parents speaking on behalf of kids visiting this site, but some who are adults speaking for themselves, have complained that they find profanity on this site offensive.

Thanks, DLM, as a parent I appreciate the moderating that is done here.
  5. MeBeJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    "wtf which are allowed to be said on TV or the radio"

I've never heard "wtf" used on TV or the radio. How would you pronounce it? [face_laugh]

"If you're going to take a concrete rule which says not to say words X, Y and Z, and then extend it to include words like X-1+B, Y+U, and Z*7, then you open up a whole can of worms."

Only with people possessing very small vocabularies.

[Ruby Rhod] "Will you please act like you have move than a two word vocabulary!" [/Ruby Rhod]

"Basically that makes for a lot more work for the administration and a lot more of the users constantly double guessing themselves and looking over their shoulders out of fear of big brother not liking their posts. People here probably spend most of their time on this board worrying about whether their post is going to be edited or their thread closed than just talking and having a good time (do not misconstrue that to mean they are "cussing" and whatnot)."

That's a stretch in so many ways.

"Sure you can say that you only want people who fit your mold to come visit, but that's just bad business."

Don't let it hit you on the way out...

"You'd be surprised how "good" most people can be when you give them a little breathing room."

They do have breathing room, so long as they don't breath cuss words. ;)

"In short, words are not always used literally. There are colloquialisms to be taken into account."

Which, of course, refers to "implied meanings". The "implied meaning" of Mofo is exceptionally clear.

"as a parent I appreciate the moderating that is done here."

As do I.
  6. Jjanda_Solo Force Ghost

star 5
    I just want to say that as far as I can remember I have never had a post edited for a bad word, and I have managed to express whatever I had to say here for almost three years and almost 4000 posts. In other words, if you would just try to follow the rules, they really aren't that restricting. If you would just try to use a little common sense instead of trying to be as obnoxious as possible then you would find it easy to figure out what isn't allowed and avoid it.
  7. Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus

star 6
    English is a wonderful language, replete with mannerisms of expressing disgust, disappointment, anger, and frustration. They do not, however, require the use of profanity.

Honestly, what could get someone so worked up as to warrant typing expletives or their derivatives on an internet message board? That's pathetisad; if you feel the urge to express yourself in a vulgar manner, Real Life affords many opportunities to do so. Just don't bring it here, where the rules have been posted and explained, and make a ruckus when you get in trouble. It's more than a little like going to McDonald's and getting livid that you can't order a Whopper.
  8. DarthBreezy Chosen One

star 6
    Just an Aside... I believe the term

SUPERSHADOW

[image=http://members.aol.com/Malamar/bags.jpg]

*Horses whinnnney*

Should be on the list of words...
  9. Dingo Chosen One

star 5
    I don't know that the entire list has ever been made public, but part of the list that's in the Mod Squad (or was, when last I was there), as compiled by Kadue (I believe) included "f*** and all its derivatives," which has been quoted time and again when the issue of the banning of "WTF" comes up. That's why "MILF" also isn't allowed, and "STFU". And "mofo" falls under the same heading. I've always thought the "and all its derivatives" part was kind of ridiculous, because that could be extended to things like "fudge."

Actally, the entire list was made public, just it was a long time ago. As for the "and all derivatives", that was more for things like "motherf*****" et al. The banning on "WTF" was added seperately months later, and was then interpreted sometime this year to cover other contractions.
  10. Jedi_Hood Force Ghost

star 6
    If you can't find another way of expressing yourself other than using an expletive, your vocabulary needs some serious help.
  11. MeBeJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Agreed. I, myself, would be terribly embarrased to admit that my ability to discuss Star Wars was in any way hampered by the removal of these words from my posts....but that's just me.
  12. Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Ikhy makes me laugh. Seriously, when was the last time you posted here? UBB? Did you even ever post on snowboards before this thread?

Some people, is your grasp of the English language that slim that you need to resort to swearing and swearing abbreviations to express yourself? Someone above suggested a theasaurus as a solution and I concur.
  13. Ikhnaton Jedi Master

star 4
    DDH, i have posted a fair amount since the switchover, but personally, this place is too strictly moderated for my taste, so i choose not to for the most part. But i did enjoy posting here at one point, and that is why i occasionally stop in to argue.

some of you are misunderstanding my point. It's not that I have a miniscule vocabulary or even small, or that i have this need to "cuss". Sometimes certain words are more fitting than others.

If i say that DDH made me angry, that's one thing. If i say that DDH pissed me off, that's another thing.

If i say that DDH is a jerk, that's one thing. If i say that DDH is a mofo, that's another thing. But that is flaming, so that's a bad example. If i'm venting about a bad day at work, a rude customer is one thing, an a-hole customer is another thing.

Am I saying to open up the floodgates any allow any language? of course not. I'm a parent as well, and I don't want overly sexual discussion or profanity on a family board like this. But banning wtf or mofo just seemed a bit much. the word is not displayed, so the impact is greatly reduced. Does everyone think the words "what the f***" when they see wtf? I don't think "laughing out loud" when i see "lol".

I can understand, respect and even appreciate efforts to keep this place family friendly. I just have issues when rules are taken to this extreme level. This site is devoted to a pastime, a leisure activity, but the moderation is almost gestapo-ish (don't like nazi references? replace gestapo with KGB).

that's my piece (again)
  14. Cheri Jedi Master

star 4
    Actually, when I see wtf I do read it out to be all three words. Yes, this place is heavily moderated, and I'm glad it is. Star Wars is a set of films, books, etc. that appeal to adults, yes, but also to a LOT of kids.

I know they are supposed to be 13 and over to be on here. And I know 13 year olds have probably said and heard tons of foul language. But it certainly doesn't need to be reinforced by seeing it on a message board that is supposed to be about Star Wars. And, come on, it only takes about a minute to figure out what "mofo" is, if you don't see it right off.
  15. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    That's how I feel as well.
  16. Sam_Skywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    Why do we need the word? If you wish to vent frustrations out that way, just scream it at the monitor. Otherwise, any other reason you would want to do it would be just as inappopriate as the word itself.
  17. Ikhnaton Jedi Master

star 4
    since when is it wrong to vent frustration and anger over the internet? venting does not equal flaming.
  18. BOBAFETISH Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'd like the words "Old-kootish" added to the verboten list, please.
  19. Sam_Skywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    since when is it wrong to vent frustration and anger over the internet? venting does not equal flaming

I should have worded my post better. i was saying that any reason why you should use the word other than venting frustration, which you can do like I said, would be as inapporpiate as the word
  20. dehrian Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Does everyone think the words "what the f***" when they see wtf?

I do.

I don't think "laughing out loud" when i see "lol".

I do.
  21. Krash RSA Emeritus

star 5
    It's times like this I wish Barbara Billingsly from Airplane was available to say...
    "Oh stewartess, I speak jive"

...cause I'm either too old, or too suburban to know this one:

Crunk...as in "let's get crunk(ed?)"

What does this mean?
  22. Genghis12 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    When used as an adjective ("Tonight is going to be crunk"), it means hype. When used as an adverb ("to get crunk") it means to have a good time...

...Dawg.
  23. Sam_Skywalker Jedi Master

star 4
  24. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    Dag, G. Sup wit dat, money?
  25. Krash RSA Emeritus

star 5
    Good, I was concerned that someone was posting a "verboten" word/phrase, tough to moderate...when your a little behind the times.

I'm just as white as a stormtrooper's ### :D
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.