main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A new word added to the verboten list

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Saint_of_Killers, Dec 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _across-the-stars_

_across-the-stars_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2003
    Well, to toss my two cents into the pot:

Swearing should be left at the door, as far as these forums are concerned.

When speaking, we have a tendency to say things rapidly. Our words slip out quickly, and we don't always have time to think before we speak. So, naturally, the quality of communication is significantly degraded when speaking aloud. We can't go back and change things.

The entire concept of forums means that you have the opportunity to read, review, think about, and edit what you will post. You can sculpt your post, rearrange what you've written, consult a thesaurus, whatever you like. And you can think about how it will affect others. Because, unlike our mouths, the "Post" button is a bit easier to control.

I don't see why any swearing, other than 'damn', 'hell', and 'ass', and other minor profanity, is needed to communicate your feelings, when you can demonstrate your intelligence level every time you click "Post".

Cheers.

2. Jedi_Hood

Jedi_Hood Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 10, 2000
    You are way too mature. ;)

3. DarthBane420

DarthBane420 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 13, 2003
    Crunk is also related to a style of Rap music.
    Lil John and the Eastside boys are credited for bringing "Crunk" music to the forefront of Hip Hop.

Doesn't anyone besides G-12, Sapient, Kimball, and myself listen to Rap music on this site?

4. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    Doesn't anyone besides G-12, Sapient, Kimball, and myself listen to Rap music on this site?

I only listen to rap when my fiance is in the car. I'm mostly a country guy, myself.

Kimball Kinnison

5. Devi

Devi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 22, 2002
    Swearing should be left at the door, as far as these forums are concerned.

I don't disagree. I think no one here is seriously saying that we should be allowed to use all-out profanity. The only thing that people are questioning is whether a mere reminder of profanity is as bad - and should be as prohibited - as the profanity itself.

Sure, when you read "WTF" or one of the other forbidden abbreviations, you get reminded of the words those letters stand for. But "WTF" isn't the words itself. A kid who's grown up so sheltered that he's never heard the f-word in his life won't understand what "WTF" or "mofo" means, he'll just see the letters.

Nobody's saying that people should be allowed to spew uncensored obscenities on the JC, but "WTF" (for instance) is a censored form of the original expression. Let me put it this way:

Writing out "What the ****?!?" without the stars would be the equivalent of swearing on the radio. Writing "WTF" it the equivalent of beeping out the bad words on the radio. Insisting that we have to write "WT*" or "star out the whole word" is the equivalent of saying, "But if people hear the 'beep!' on the radio, they're gonna be reminded that there was a swearword, and we can't have that! So we need another 'beep!' sound to mask the original 'beep!'"

Sure, "WTF" is reminding people who know what it stands for of a bad word. But the bad word itself is not there on the page. The letter "F" is a mere reminder of a bad word, just like the "beep!" on the radio lets us know that someone used a bad word. But does that mean that the "beep!" itself is offensive and has to be censored? Is a mere reminder of profanity really as bad as the profanity itself? That is the question.

6. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    A line must be drawn somewhere. An arbitrary line where something goes from acceptable to unacceptable.

In this cse the line is a few paces back from where you would have drawn it yourself.

No big deal. Just accept it and adjust your posting habits accordingly.

It's not difficult.

7. jada_marnew

jada_marnew Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 22, 2003
    I just came across this news at CNN about

FCC Commissioner Michael Powell said Wednesday he is calling for a dramatic increase in fines for broadcasters that allow the "*-word" and other obscenities on the air.

I thought it pertained to the discussion here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.