main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph A New(er) World of Gods and Monsters: The Universal Monsters (The Invisible Man)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DantheJedi, Jul 31, 2014.

1. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Eh, the first Brendan Fraser film was action/adventure with some horror sprinkled in. Mummy 2 was action/adventure with comedy sprinkled in, with some bad CGI (hello Scorpion King at the end of the film). I don't remember enough about the third beyond me asking "when is this over?"

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  2. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Never got that Inca mummy movie though. That could of been good.

Gamiel likes this.
  3. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Saw trailer with Walking Dead last night. The Independence Day sequel of 2017. And poor Sofia Boutella. She looks like she's wearing a costume salvaged from a 30 year old off Broadway production of Cats.

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It's the Victor Frankenstein of 2017. Is that movie set in this universe? Since rumors are that Dracula Untold takes place during this timeline too?

5. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    FWIW, while I didn't see Dracula untold in theaters, I did enjoy it from what I remember.

6. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Universal is still on the fence about putting Dracula Untold in the UMCU. AFAIK.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, Untold wasn't made to be a UMCU film but they added the epilogue to make it an option. Then supposedly it wasn't going to happen then more recently it was said it was still being considered. So we'll see.

8. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Or they could just get rid of the stupid *** UMCU designation.

jabberwalkie likes this.
  9. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    I'll admit it's a tacky abbreviation but it's to let fans know it's in the same canon. So people won't be like....."Wait a second, that's the same guy from......"

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    BTS featurette:

11. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I think they should just use The Mummy as their launching point (their Iron Man if you will) and not try and graft Dracula Untold onto this shared universe ex post facto. Unless it more or less serves their purpose of course (intro the character--not unlike what they did w/Ang Lee's Hulk more or less being the origin and then just dropping Bruce/Hulk into the MCU fully formed so to speak). If they like Luke Evans in the role and don't have any interesting ideas for a different introduction, there's another piece already in place. But, if they do have something new and fresh that would fit in more organically with their larger plan, I say go that route.

12. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    And I'm sold. Where do I buy my ticket?
    The issue is if you did another Dracula movie, it would be another Dracula movie. With the coda/epilogue that Dracula Untold has, it basically brings the character into present day and the story it tells differs from previous iterations that I can remember of the character in that rather than Dracula being a villain it makes him more of anti-hero/superhero with a dark past from what I remember.

It wasn't a great film, but it was a slightly different take on the character. Whether or not they take him into a different direction if they included Evans' version in the new Monsters Universe they're doing, well that's up to them but I can't say that it would necessarily be appealing to me to sit through another Dracula movie.

13. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Boutella's mummy makeup: outstanding

[​IMG]

PCCViking likes this.
  14. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Dracula Untold only worked because of Charles Dance. So, obviously, Charles Dance should play every single character in the next Dracula reboot they inevitably make. Oh except for Van Helsing. That, of course, will go to Nicolas Cage.

Somebody call the Chancellor of Hollywood!

15. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Fixed. ;)

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Including Charles Dance's vampire in the UMCU is really the main reason to that include DU into the continuity. Beyond that,,I think people would be fine either way.

17. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    No he's busy starring in 6 more Creed sequels.

18. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Fixed it for ya again. ;)

19. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004

And lending some credence to all that, I've read that the Van Helsing entry will be set in present day. With Luke Evans' Drac already there...

20. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Oh, boy, that Mummy trailer is the worst. Oh my God. What trash.

21. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    I'm guessing you missed the new Transformers trailer then?

22. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Oh, yes, I have assuredly not seen the new Transformers trailer.

23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Have to ask: was I the only one that enjoyed Van Helsing as a good monster mash action?

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So apparently a few days ago IMAX uploaded the IMAX version of the trailer (pretty much identical the regular theatrical trailer), but the sound mix wasn't properly bounced so it effectively had missing audio tracks/sound effects leaving isolated dialogue and incidental noises. It's actually pretty funny.

It mostly notably affects the first half of the trailer (the plane sequence) but the second half is subtly affected as well (though a creepy little laugh during the eyeball shot is kinda neat- I hadn't detected that in the final audio mix version before).

VadersLaMent likes this.
  25. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002