main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends "A Night of Goodbye" (Jag/Jaina) One shot Speculation on Revelation's Missing Moment.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by THE_PIED_PIPER, Feb 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. THE_PIED_PIPER

THE_PIED_PIPER Chapter Rep Knoxville, TN star 4

Jun 8, 2006
    Title: A Night of Goodbye
    Author: Kick McGregor
    Timeframe: LOTF: Set in the early stages of the novel by Karen Traviss; Revelation
    Characters: Jagged Fel, Jaina Solo
    Genre: Romance
    Summary: Now that would be telling. [face_whistling]
    Notes: canon speculation

Disclaimer: George Lucas owns Star Wars and its many fantastic characters. This is just one fan playing in the sandbox that has always brought her immense joy. :)

<Kick Notes> There are a few because I?m longwinded.

First a special shout out to my fantastic Betas: Yoda Kenobi and Jagsredlady.

Wes: My fellow animal lover and all around great person. Your guidance through this was priceless to me and I?ll never forget your kindness and encouragement, I know your standards and thank you for applying them to this story. You are a true epic writer of fan fiction and I have the utmost respect for you as a writer and a person. You?re simply the bes? Wes. [:D]

Jagsredlady: You may be the ultimate Jag Fel fan, but I?m in a Claw craft and coming up behind you fast. Thank you so much for your valuable time and giving the final nod on this for the ?Jag? feel. You Rule! [:D]

Jade Eyes: My fellow rabid J/J?er, L/M?er, and lover of all things Princess Diana. You are truly the Grace that places itself on The Force.net. Thank you for the encouragement to write in the first place. [:D]

And last but certainly not least a special thank you to my Master and Mentor, Tahi, who is the guardian of the coolest dog in the world! Your friendship and guidance has been invaluable to me this past year and a half, and I?m so fortunate to be your friend and learner. [:D]

Dedication:

This story is dedicated to my sister?s firstborn, my nephew, Caleb whose ice blue eyes never fell to own me. He along with his little sister are the apples of my eye. Caleb is today celebrating his fifteenth life day, and on Saturday earned his black belt in Karate. I?m so proud of you baby. May your brilliance, charm and intellect continue to entertain our family, your friends and I?m sure someday the world. And remember one thing, no matter what happens in life?I?ve got your back. Always. [face_love]

"I love you, I always will."
    ~Jaina Solo to Jagged Fel, 35 ABY.

"A Night of Goodbye"

Jaina sighed softly to herself as she continued her sojourn through the ancient Endorian woods, her brandy brown eyes and sharpened Jedi senses observing everything around her.

She wore a plain black flight suit with matching black knee-high boots and gloves. Her hair was swept back on her head in a style reminiscent of her mother?s in her youth. The elegant weapon of a Jedi Knight hung on her belt along with a small blaster. She quickly ran her hand over the hilt of the lightsaber; the security it provided was substantial.

The Force burned with life in all directions, it was vibrant and alive. From the ancient trees and plants to the wildlife that had evolved over millions of years on this very small moon, a completely unique environment and evolutionary marvel with a culture completely its own.

She thought of all the history that had taken place here, both for her family and the galaxy. In the skies above this forest, the second Death Star had exploded and ushered in a new era. Her grandfather had been redeemed in those same heavens and his armor that had once terrified the galaxy had burned not too far from here. But, most importantly, Jaina thought, was the fact that it was here in these hallowed forests that her parents had finally found each other.

She smiled at the irony of that considering what she was now going to do. It was making her nervous and she didn?t quite understand why.

Her current mission was an easy one compared with what she would soon face.

She had to face her twin, and most likely one of them would not walk away.

No, that wasn?t quite rig

2. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    First. :)

So good to see you posting this lovely story, PP. You capture Jag and Jaina perfectly, and the exploration of Jaina's thoughts is excellent.

I especially loved the references to Anakin because Jaina and Anakin had a very special bond - and it was good to see you taking into account that feeling that Jaina had (in DJ I think) about how she felt Anakin was on the verge of figuring out a wider understanding of the Force. I also loved the idea of him being with her and strengthening her. :)

There was a nice balance of drama and humour, and the ending was very moving - and most of all hopeful. And boy do we need more of that!

I enjoyed the fact you worked in a sense of the past - memories and connections that Jaina had with the setting, making the ending even more meaningful. The story had a great sense of "family" if you know what I mean. Considering what Jaina i about to try and achieve, that sense of family support and strength is really important.

You've worked it in beautifully to canon. =D= What a way to make your debut.

Now for some favourite bits:

The Force burned with life in all directions, it was vibrant and alive. From the ancient trees and plants to the wildlife that had evolved over millions of years on this very small moon, a completely unique environment and evolutionary marvel with a culture completely its own.
    I liked that a lot because I think this is one of the BIG things that Jaina has and that Jacen has lost - this connection with the universe at large and the living energy of the Force.

Jaina knew Anakin was with her. The last few days she had felt his presence burn brightly around her, pouring love into her, healing her and giving her confidence and strength. No, Anakin wasn?t dead at all.
    What more can I say? Beautiful thought - and true!

He didn?t move or turn his head to acknowledge her, his trademark perfect posture and mannerisms not betraying that he knew she was there. Jaina began to rub her arms and wish that she had brought her flight jacket along.

After a few moments that seemed an eternity to Jaina, and without lifting his gaze from the trees and horizon beyond, Jag finally spoke.

?You smell good, and it gives you away. I suggest you walk down wind when hunting your brother. I?m sure he?ll recognize the Jaina scent as well?.

She nodded,?I?ll remember that?.

?Good?, was his reply.

LOL Oh Jag! You laconic so-and-so. ;)

Jag had drawn the blaster from the blanket and was now pointing it towards the trees where the Ewoks had undoubtedly been watching them.

?Jag, what are you doing?! They are not attacking you!?

?Oh, come on Jaina, it will be fun. It?s called a pre-emptive strike, or aggressive negotiations whichever you prefer.?

?Jag!?

?The only thing that can stop me is you joining me on this blanket, and don?t you even think about Force grabbing this blaster out of my hand, it?s set to destruct the instant it passes more than a few feet from me, taking both of us with it, just ask Alema.?

And he's tricky, too. :D But I like the way he thinks.

?The galaxy is broken, Jaina, your brother?s rampage has proved that. The Galactic Alliance government and the Jedi leadership have both proven completely ineffective in dealing with it, and you know it.?
    So true. And isn't it typical Jag that he wants to do something about it.

Yes, the Sword of the Jedi knew peace in the form of Jagged Fel. Uncle Luke had been wrong about that all along.
    Yes - I'm afraid Luke has been wrong about quite a few things!

Her child.

Jag?s child.

A child of destiny conceived in perfect love. This child would change the galaxy.

Beautiful. [face_love] Love embodied.

Like Anakin before her, she would face her destiny.
    This was the perfect note on which to end.

Thanks so much for posting this, PP. Truly inspiring. =D= And the best Valentine's Day gift ever.

3. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    *Steals second... Shakes fist at Tahi*

4. jacensolofangirl2007

jacensolofangirl2007 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 30, 2007
    wow very well done!! I love Jag/Jaina pairing [face_love]
    And I loved the way you wrote them.:D

5. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Heh heh - it's the quick and the dead around here, Yoda. :D

6. JEDI_MARAUDER

JEDI_MARAUDER Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2007
    That was un-freaking-believable! So awesome. Even since the Dark Nest fiasco those two have been ridiculous and I am glad to read them as they figure out what the heck it is that they really want.

I liked your set up with Jaina watching Jag several times before working up the guts to go talk to him, it seems like something she might do while trying to figure her thoughts out. Also, Jag's little advice for her inevitable fight with Caedus...definitely a LotF Jag thing to say, all business while showing he cares at the same time. I don't know about the Ewoks though, I thought Jag would be smart enough not to mess with them. He's lucky a giant log didn't swing out of a tree and smash him ;-P The tie in to Legacy was pretty cool as well. I really hope that it is Jaina and Jag that lead to the Fel dynasty, which seems to be the leading theory right now anyways.

As far as Jaina being pregnant, I'd say Threepio could give some outrageous odds against Caedus right about now. An extremely angry, totally betrayed, Sword of the Jedi with Mandalorian training and the entire Jedi Order at her back plus she's fighting to protect her unborn child vs. deranged Sith Lord with no friends to speak of. I know who I'd put my money on....George Lucas to totally change everything. just kidding

Awesome job with this post!

7. Chimpo

Chimpo Jedi Youngling

Dec 16, 2007
    Uh that was a good read :D

Not too many J/J stories on the Boards these days :(

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Your characterizations are deep and rich; your dialogue fun. Piper, you've made me care about Jaina and Jag and what happens to them in LOTF-- ;) and because of what happened to Mara, I've boycotted the series except in fanfic LOL & brilliant pieces like this put the proficcers to shame. Hugs!!!

9. THE_PIED_PIPER

Jun 8, 2006
    Response to replies coming up in a bit everyone, its been quite a day. [face_blush]

Happy Valentines Day!

10. cheersweetie27

cheersweetie27 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 20, 2003
    absolutely wonderful. now if only it would actually turn out this way...

great job!!

11. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    That was too sweet and wonderful for words![face_love]

Oh, if only profic would lear from great authors like you. *shakes fist at Traviss*

Congradulations on your first forray into writing, too! You pulled it off like a pro.=D=

~MJ@};-

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    If only a lot of things LOL!!! Just ignore it!! [face_laugh] It never happened anyway. ;)

13. THE_PIED_PIPER

Jun 8, 2006
    [:D]

Thank you Tahi, that was my main purpose here, I'm glad that it came across. [face_blush]

Yes Ma'am, Jaina and Anakin always were very close and really alot alike. Anakin had a connection to the Force that was so natural and thats what lead to his understanding on a level so few others even know exist.

*nods* I put that line in with you and Wes in mind. [face_blush] And I fully suspect that Anakin will be with Jaina...always

Once again, I tried, thank you for noticing. [face_peace]

AMEN! I believe that Jag and Jaina are the new hope for Star Wars, in particular, their great-grand daughter, Marasiah Fel! :D

I think that Star Wars has so many facinating things about it, but above all else is the Skywalker/Solo family. They are what certainly drives my interest in the franchise the most. The story of Anakin Skywalker and his children as they try to make their way through having incredible gifts, power, burdens and failures. They captivate me. :D

I agree, and I think that its Jag that gives her that sense of security. No, in fact I know it is because I've scence the POV scenes from Jaina on Jag from Revelation :D

[face_blush]

</Anakin Skywalker> "Only with your guidance Master". ;)

*nods* Yes they have lost it. However I think its for completely different reasons. Jacen lost his for trying to understand and be too much. Jaina lost hers for trying to be too little. However, I think she'll be fine.

That says it all Tahi, thank you. [face_blush]

14. angry_bendu1

angry_bendu1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 15, 2007
    Mmmmm... Jag/Jaina is the absolute best.[face_love]

"Maybe, you could start a new trend, Jedi who wear armor. I think Imperial Red would be appropriate." He is so smooth. Way to start your empire, Jaggie! Oh, but we're not supposed to know that yet.[face_shhh] :D

Great story! Thanks for the V-Day entertainment!:)

15. jadesabre75

jadesabre75 Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 14, 2007
    Astral! I loved this!

Yes, the Sword of the Jedi knew peace in the form of Jagged Fel. Uncle Luke had been wrong about that all along.

This will def be very interesting.

16. Solo_and_Fel

Solo_and_Fel Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2004
    This was a nice read.

I was wondering how Jag would acknowledge her presence... the smell thing was highly amusing.

She simply lowered her head and replied, ?I know you and your leadership abilities. I know how you care for the people under you and their well being, and I know your integrity. I certainly know what all you have taught me, and I?m not the easiest of students. The galaxy needs leadership like that Jag, the galaxy needs you.?

When she lifted her gaze she found that he was staring directly at her with a grin on his face, ?And what about you, Jaina Solo? Do you need me??

This was my absolute favorite moment in the story. When he asked her that I could just feel how her stomach probably dropped. He's bluntly caught her like this before in Fury, so I wouldn't be surprised for him to do it again. Not to mention it was a nice little nod towards the possibilities leading to Legacy.

Nice job!

17. THE_PIED_PIPER

Jun 8, 2006
    Agreed! [face_dancing]

I know right! ;) But hey, we're pretty smart!

Thank you, I?m glad you enjoyed it. And thanks for reading! :D

[face_blush] Thanks Jadesabre75!

I know and I can?t wait for the ride! Thanks for reading!

[face_blush] Thank you.

Aye, I liked that myself. [face_blush] It was one of the first lines between the two of them that came to me. I thought it reflected on the astral hunter that Jag has become.

Jag has been very respectful of Jaina and her space, in LotF. He is not pushing her in any form but letting things manifest as they may, so in typical Jag fashion he was giving her time and space there.

And, yes, he has caught her like that before, he makes her think and won?t let her hide and avoid the obvious which she is sometimes prone to do. He cuts her to her core, but ONLY for her benefit, with no regard or expectations for himself. They compliment each other perfectly. :D ;)

Thank you for reading and the reply. [:D]

Happy Friday Everyone! [face_dancing]

~Piper :)

18. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Aww, thanks :D It was my pleasure.

[face_skull]

Okay, onto a proper review of the fic!

I really liked that, showing that Jaina was in touch with her surroundings through the Force.

She had to face her twin, and most likely one of them would not walk away.
    No, that wasn?t quite right. It wasn?t her twin she would face.
    Her twin had died in the Embrace of Pain in the hands of the madness of Vergere. What was left was his shell. She owed it to Jacen to end his suffering, and the suffering he had caused billion?s of beings.

So true.

Jag had said that a sword is a weapon and is to be used as such. But what exactly did it mean to be a Jedi? Jaina wasn?t sure she knew anymore. She wasn?t sure any of them did. Maybe it was what her younger brother Anakin had tried to figure out. Maybe it was what the Jedi Order had lost with Anakin?s death. Maybe Anakin would have seen all of this coming and stopped it.
    No one would ever know for sure what Anakin would have done, but now it was up to Jaina to finish it.
    Jaina knew Anakin was with her. The last few days she had felt his presence burn brightly around her, pouring love into her, healing her and giving her confidence and strength. No, Anakin wasn?t dead at all.
    The words came through the Force as if he was standing there, ?Do what must be done, Jaina?.
    With tears in her eyes, Jaina whispered out loud, ?I always do, little brother. I always do?.

:_|

Really liked this too, obviously :p

?You smell good, and it gives you away. I suggest you walk down wind when hunting your brother. I?m sure he?ll recognize the Jaina scent as well?.

That was cute.

Jag cocked his head slightly and looked at her, ?Brilliance is often misunderstood for less, by those who lack the mental abilities and fortitude to understand it.?
    Jaina snorted, ?Is that a Thrawn quote, Fel??
    ?No,no, it?s a Jag Fel quote, which is better if not slightly less twisted.?

[face_laugh]

Jag and Jaina's love had ignited the stars.

I recognize that :p

Good post, PIPER =D= I really liked your characterization of Jaina and all her reflection. I'm glad you had her choose duty over staying with Jag and I thought it was right in character for Jag to guess it. It certainly makes for an interesting start to the Fel Empire ;)

I'm looking forward to the rest :D Great work!

19. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    If you would be willing, we (the Jaina/Jag Index) would like to include this story in our database. If you could, please PM the following information to Jaina_Jag_Index (absolutely no mark-up codes please):

Author: (link to profile)
    Title: (link to story)
    Co-Authors: (If applicable) And their user profiles
    Timeframe: (post NJO, post-Ruin, etc.)
    Characters:
    Genre: (romance, action, etc.)
    Keywords:
    Summary:
    Notes: (WIP, Complete, Vignette, etc., Awards it's won)

20. Flowerlady

Flowerlady Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2005
    I really enjoyed this...I love J/J LotF stories[face_love]...probably because I became a J/J shipper because of LotF and Legacy (better late than never...right? ;) )

I liked Jag bluffing about shooting the Ewoks..that was funny. :p

And you really did set things up with what happens in Legacy...great job.

Wonderful little story that I hope forshadows some elements of canon. =D=

FL @};-

21. THE_PIED_PIPER

Jun 8, 2006
    [:D]

:D

*nods* I think she's come along way in that sense in LotF. I think that was their intent to get her where she needs to be. She will need it for the days ahead of her.

I know. I don't know if thats what they had planned when Matt wrote Traitor or not, most people say no. If not, considering what has happened to Jacen, it turned into the perfect retcon.

Aye, I thought you would. ;)

[face_blush] I liked it myself.

:p :D

It was a last minute addition. [face_blush] I couldn't resist, man, I love that book! :D Full credit to Mr. Stover of course. :cool:

*nods* Jaina is very duty oriented like her mother. How much she admits that? [face_whistling] And Jag is an extremely bright guy and well trained in about every discipline there is really. Added to that is the fact that he knows Jaina on so many different levels. So I thought both of those aspects were appropriate for the characters involved.

*nods* They're going to hit Star Wars like Vaders Fist, a

22. canadianjedimama

canadianjedimama Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 28, 2008
    Piper, sorry I'm late.[face_blush]

This story was wonderful. You captured the Jaina/Jag dynamic very well. I think that the key to their relationship is that Jag "sees" her. Completely, totally, down to her core. And he's the only one who does. And you snagged that perfectly.

My fav line was the "you smell good" comment. Tactical, but oh-so-romantic.[face_love]

*sigh* I was wondering when all the J/J "goodbye" fics were going to come out. This made my day when I saw it. Guess it means that I'll have to finish mine and post it.:p

And big congrats and huggles on posting your first fic....I remember almost having a stroke when I posted mine. I was all like George McFly from BTTF, "I don't think I can take that kind of rejection", you know, but it was cool too.

Keep it up![:D]

23. THE_PIED_PIPER

Jun 8, 2006
    No worries my friend thank you for the reply. :)

[face_blush] Thanks Mama, and I agree, its the dynamic that they have together as a couple.

Aye, very Jag'ish..;) He's sexxy.

:eek: :eek:Yes, yes!!! [face_dancing] :D You must, you must!! Please!

[face_tired] Tell me about it, I told Yobi..."What if no one replies?"...[face_worried]

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] Well, I'll trust that you knocked Biff out. :p

Thank yo for the reply, you're a gem, Mama! [face_dancing] And I can't wait for yours.

24. princess_of_naboo

princess_of_naboo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2000
    Could have sworn I'd already replied to this...

Anyway, I absolutes loved this 'fic and need Revelation so bad now.

25. THE_PIED_PIPER

Jun 8, 2006
    Thank you for reading Princess of Naboo, and I'm glad that you enjoyed the 'fic. As far as Revelation is concerned? As a J/J'er I'm pleased. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.