main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Night's Refuge---A Completed Vignette

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by LuvEwan, Feb 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Well, since I have less than a life than I thought, I was able to finish this up tonight instead of tomorrow...sigh...

Hope you enjoy it. ;)

A Night's Refuge

A Vignette by LuvEwan

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

The desk was rickety, the surface cracked with age, and covered in stains. A lamp dangled low, and spread ugly jaundiced light across the woman's fingers.

She drummed them absently, jagged nails clacking on the wood. Her other hand was propped under her sagging chin.

When the door managed to slide noisily open, she raised rheumy eyes and bushy brows, threads of shadow gripping to her high, brightly rouged cheekbones.

The doorway was filled with a hulking figure possessing broad shoulders and a thick, powerful body.

Her own willowy, hunched frame trembled slightly when the man stepped closer , immerging from the darkness.

Her heart thumped. A smaller, unconscious man was carried in well-muscled arms, and though he was no child, the stranger didn't seem to mind the weighty burden.

The older man's eyes were the color of twilight, but murky clouds eclipsed that rich blue beauty.

And, for some reason, she relaxed, her tightened lungs easing. She stood from her hard-backed chair, smoothing out the dismal gray dress that hung loosely on her.

"Can I help you sir?" She croaked, and offered a rare, unguarded smile.

Qui-Gon returned the expression, but it was painfully weary. "Yes." He whispered.

His voice was low and husky. She had heard the tone often, many times from her own dry throat. The grating sound of exhaustion.

"I?have no credits."

"Oh." Her gaze raked over his face, searching the leonine features for some sort of trickery, a hint of the crude greed she was accustomed to here. But her probe found nothing, save raw honesty.

The man swallowed. "I would not ask, but my?son is so tired. He can't go any further." Those hazed eyes dropped momentarily to the floor. "I can't go any further. We need a place to rest?Please."

She walked from the behind the desk, glancing at the sleeping youth before shifting her attention to the man again. "This isn't the most desirable hotel, if you haven't noticed. But it's the cheapest you'll find 'round here. So it's pretty much full."

Qui-Gon blinked, disappointment visible in his slightly slumped posture.

She held up a wrinkled hand. "But there is a spare room for employees, if you would like. Nobody's using it right now."

Qui-Gon released a grateful sigh, smiling. "Thank you."

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

The Jedi Master scanned the hotel corridor discreetly as the woman led him down to the room.

From behind closed doors he heard muffled shouts and louder curses, saw the flicker of faulty glow rods and peeling, yellowed paint, smelled the must and smoke?

Felt his apprentice's soft damp skin against his cheek.

The heat of his spent body spurred Qui-Gon forth when he would turn back.

"Here we are." The woman announced quietly, fiddling with the lock.

Qui-Gon shielded Obi-Wan's exposed ear from the din of a sudden, close crash.

"Damn drunk." She grumbled in her sour voice. The door finally opened, and the woman shuffled inside, yanking the weak light on. Qui-Gon followed.

The room was cramped, containing a single thin coat, a dust-coated table, with a lavatory attached.

"This is it." She patted his arm awkwardly. "I hope you have a good rest."

Qui-Gon smiled, allowing the tired shadow to clear, to reveal a thankful twinkle. "You have my deepest gratitude." He told her.

She only nodded, and returned to her work, apparently resigned to the gloom, leaving him in the tiny space.

Qui-Gon moved slowly to the bed, and with the gentlest of care, lowered Obi-Wan down.

The young man's body stretched out, relieving crowded, sore muscles. Qui-Gon sat heavily at his side, and slipped off the dirty boots, peeled away the stockings.

Obi-Wan breathed out, turning on his side.

The Master watched him a moment, then removed

2. bobilll

bobilll Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    Awww, so sweet of them! I guess Jedi aren't the only nice people out there! Poor little Obi-Wan, so tired all the time.

3. jainasolo2001

jainasolo2001 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2001
  4. Cascadia

Cascadia Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    The affection Qui-Gon shows Obi-Wan is very sweet. I like the way he takes care of his apprentice; it's very fatherly. Also, it's nice that the Jedi are shown the kindness that they show others.

Very enjoyable and contenting to read before bedtime. :D

Beautiful job, as always. [face_love]

5. Nat

Nat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    [face_love] That was beautiful, LE. What a nice way to start my day.
    We can see again the precision and beauty of your descriptions, a peace and harmony in the strangest places that you can write so well.

Thank you for this vignette!

6. PaddyJuan

PaddyJuan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    a very touching story. thank you.

7. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    LE - see comment on Haven. NO TEARS AT WORK! :D

Shaindl

PS: Loved this - I'm fascinated by your OCs - I would love to know that old woman's history...

8. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    Aw, you guys are so sweet! [face_love]

**runs off to read HAVEN comment by Shaindl**

9. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    What can I say? :)

10. Sheila

Sheila Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2002
    You are becoming the master at portraying a beautiful father/son relationship between Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon. I liked the added element of compassion found where least expected. Great job LE . I've said it before but I will say it again, I absolutely love your writing. :)

11. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    Shiela, you're simply the best. I've said it before, I'll say it again. ;)

12. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    Givin' this another little boost. [face_blush]

13. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    That was lovely

14. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    Thanks, Kitara. ;)

15. TheSwedishJedi

TheSwedishJedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 15, 2001
    Very sweet and lovely, LE. But not too sweet, just right. Just enough to give the heart strings a good tug. :) I always love these nice, short little fics.

~Swede :p

16. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    Thanks for the reply, Swede ;) Very much appreciated.

17. Wild_Huntress

Wild_Huntress Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    [face_love] That was a very sweet little dignette, LE. Loved it. ;) Wonderful job, as always.

18. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    Thanks, W_H! [face_blush]

19. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    No wonder you didn't know I saw your reply, W_H! This thing sunk far!!!

Thanks again. You're truly a devoted reader, and sometimes that's hard to come by. [face_love]

LuvEwan

20. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    'Up's for froggy. ;) In case my link went whacko on ya, PaddyJuan.

21. PaddyJuan

PaddyJuan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    you know, the funny thing is that I've actually read this, replied to it, and wanted to read it again, but couldn't remember that I'd read it. Sigh. I really need more coffee.

but it is just as good this time as it was last time.

thanks LE

22. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    silly froggy

**Hands over steaming coffeecup**

;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.