main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT A non-EU explanation for how Yoda knew about the Rule of Two

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by darklordoftech, Nov 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    this thread interested me:

it was refreshing to see "NON-EU" in the film section

*reads about the ABC canon law*

*swallows one ibuprofen*

2. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I always brought up EU just to piss off the EU haters because they are in denial about non movie stuff being canon.

Yunners likes this.
  3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    There's also a large amount of Lucas involvement in "movie-related tie-ins"- visual guides, dictionaries, magazines, etc.

4. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Is that like when Michael Scott declared bankruptcy?
    [​IMG]

5. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    nothing about denial, it's to do with whart you yourself want to believe as canon,

no one has the right to say "this is canon" or "this is not canon"

but "according to me this is/not canon" then everyone is a happy camper

6. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    IMO, its the Dark Empire stuff that is incredibly dopey and gives the EU a bad name. The Emporer having clones is a "jump the shark" moment for the EU, but that is just the comics, not the novels--there has not been a "jump the shark" moment there.

Darth Plagueis, DL:TRoDV, are good. As much as there may be things which I don't care for that happen in the post-RotJ EU, I just came to accept them because I find it difficult to believe GL--a man who is such a micro-manager of his own creation--would allow storylines to be made without his explicit approval. This includes things like Han and Leia having three kids (Jacen, Jaina, and Anakin) and Luke getting married (to Mara Jade--A former Emporer's hand, which is a good twist I think) and having a son (Ben, which just fits the SW saga to have him name his son after Obi-Wan).

I came to accept the EU novels because they were my only avenue to learning what became of the big 3 after RotJ. Do I like everything which occurs in these books, no, but they are not absolutely crap. In fact there is more good in them than there is bad. It's really annoying having to read people critique these books like they could possibly write anything as good or imaginative as the stories contained therein. I had and/or have my own ideas about what would happen post-RotJ, and it is different than what did happen in the novels, but that doesn't mean I go around thinking they are complete trash, they are not, there are great stories, story-arcs, characters, character-arcs, events, places, etc. contained within them.

Iron_lord likes this.
  7. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    I remember Lucas liking Dark Empire at one point.

8. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    so TCW is not canon then?

9. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
  10. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    Asks for non-EU explanation, mentions Darth Bane . . .

I doubt he thought about it at all

11. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Gentle correction - his Aunt, not his little brother (than was the Vong).

12. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    Kiryan: since I don't think Ahsoka is canon, i'd have to say no.

but hey, those who want to believe she is, no skin off my nose, nor should their be people hurt over me not thinking she is

13. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Or perhaps Yoda knows galactic history... I don't think it requires that much of an explanation.

14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Problem being that, if only Bane and his apprentice knew about the Rule of Two, and neither gave it away to the Order, the Order have no opportunity to find out about it.

15. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    If you don't think a character from a star wars television show is canon, then more power to you bud.

16. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Darth Bane is from the TPM novel, so he might or might not be EU.

17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Novelization content and background details of that kind are usually established by Lucas.

When Terry Brooks, writer of that novel, was given the layout- chances are it would have incorporated stuff that didn't come up in the script.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Episode_I:_The_Phantom_Menace_(novel)

The novelization is especially well-known for a passage describing the history of the Sith, including Darth Bane. According to Terry Brooks' memoir, Sometimes the Magic Works: Lessons from a Writing Life, Lucas spent an hour on the telephone with him discussing the history of the Jedi and the Sith. Therefore, the information on this subject provided in Brooks' novelization can be presumed to derive from Lucas himself.

Dark-Fox likes this.
  18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Yes, it's fairly known that the whole Sith backstory from TPM novel came directly from Lucas.

19. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Caedus didn't kill his little brother. He killed Luke's wife.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.