main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A note about the profile page

Discussion in 'Communications' started by ~ô¿ô~, Jun 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ~ô¿ô~

~ô¿ô~ Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 25, 1999
    The way it currently stands, the profile page has a section for "gender" where the choices are "male" and "female." However, "gender" is not the correct term under which "male" and "female" fall, though it is becoming accepted as such in recent years. In order to be truly accurate, "gender" should have choices such as "masculine" "feminine" and "neuter" as it is a social construct that describes one's sexual identity. If you are refering to the biological terms of "male" and "female" then the correct term should be "sex."

I do understand that not much can be done about that since this is IGN's baby and they control everything. I also understand the problems that may arise were it to be changed from "gender" to "sex," as little boys on this site may try to put "yes, please" in an effort to show that yes, they are interested in sex. However, I did want to bring this to your attention, as it is a mistake that is made often, and has become so misunderstood that a new definition is being placed on word.

KK EDIT: Since there is nothing that can be done about this, and this thread is being filled with spam, I'm locking it.

2. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    The english language evolves.

3. ~ô¿ô~

Dec 25, 1999
    Generally due to sloppy usage, as with this case.

4. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    Next case: Color vs Colour.

*dingding* Fight!

5. ~ô¿ô~

Dec 25, 1999
    Color vs colour should not be an issue here, as the boards are hosted in the US, and the United States spells it color. However, in the United States, the appropriate designations under gender are masculine and feminine (sloppy usage aside, Darth_Ignant) so it is something that should be brought up.

6. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    It sometimes evolves from mistakes, however you can't generalize and say that this is the major reason for the gradual changes in languages. It is more complex than that. Though, I don't deny that many changes occur as a result of "sloppy" grammar, this isn't the only thing that is affecting it.

-Seldon

7. ~ô¿ô~

Dec 25, 1999
    Darth-Seldon, I'm really not trying to start a debate about language decay here.

8. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    [face_laugh]

I'm sorry, but this just funny. I never thought of 'gender' as 'a sloppy usage of the English language'. In 2020 when no one has a clue what it means, yeah, I'd be sending an e-mail to IGN, but it's now 2005. I'm pretty sure everyone has an idea about what 'gender' could possibly mean in this format.

9. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    This is something that is outside of our control, as it is hard-coded into the boards. There's nothing we can do about it.

Kimball Kinnison

10. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Jan 23, 2002
    Not to mention that if the mods called up zerosleep for every little disagreement with the code, he would get annoyed quickly.

11. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    ...and we may actually be forced to move.

12. carmenite42

carmenite42 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    This is something that is outside of our control, as it is hard-coded into the boards. There's nothing we can do about it.

I think he got that, due to the fact that he said:
    "I do understand that not much can be done about that since this is IGN's baby and they control everything."

13. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    This is a very pressing issue and I would like to see it resolved immediately.

14. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    ...and we may actually be forced to move.

In that case...

Do It.

15. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    This is a very pressing issue and I would like to see it resolved immediately.

Agreed.

16. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    If the mods don't pay attention to this, then we'll be forced to take it to the admins. This is ridiculous.

17. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Jan 23, 2002
    I concur. This is madness. [face_plain]

18. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    I have come before you to resolve this attack on our word choice now. I did not register to watch my language suffer and die while you discuss this in a committee. If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Darth Sapient's leadership.

19. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
  20. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Couldn't you simply decline to specify? Kimball has already said they can't change it so why not do like many others around here and not put anything there if you don't like the choices?

If you have a problem with pieces of the board that are hard-coded I suggest you talk to IGN because the Admin's here can't achieve what you seek.

Just my two cents.

21. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Jan 23, 2002
    jedi_master_ousley posted on 6/10/05 2:29pm
    I have come before you to resolve this attack on our word choice now. I did not register to watch my language suffer and die while you discuss this in a committee. If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Darth Sapient's leadership.[hr][/blockquote]

Been watching [i]TPM[/i] again, ay [b]Matt[/b]? :p

22. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
  23. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    gen·der
    n.

2.) Sexual identity, especially in relation to society or culture.

a.) The condition of being female or male; sex.

There's nothing wrong with the usage of the word in the profile page.

24. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Plus, if we didn't allow the language to evolve like this, we'd still be speaking Ye Olde English. Although that would be kind of cool, since Father sounds a lot like Vader in Olde English :p

25. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    No. I am your Vader!

I mean... Father!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.