Orlando, FL A note on fanfilm terminology by an anal-retentive professional

Discussion in 'South East Regional Discussion' started by Wolfgang_Treadwell, Jan 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wolfgang_Treadwell Jedi Knight

star 1
    A lot of people use "film" and "tape"/"video" interchangably, but they are not the same thing.

That's forgiveable from Joe-Sixpack Blockbuster Customer, but if you're actually producing material, then it's time to get it right.

I could go on and on about the differences, but if you're shooting on a magnetic medium, you're not "filming". You can hold film up to the light and see pictures, and the camera makes a chattering noise. Not so with video, be it VHS way on up to the digital stuff Lucas is using for EpII and beyond.

Now, your final product can arguably be called a "film" since that definition is a little more broad. But the medium you're using, and the VERB you use to describe what you're doing...nope.

Some alternate words you can use: shooting, lensing, taping, recording.

To sum up: if your camera doesn't go rat-a-tat-tat, you're not filming. (And if your video camera goes rat-a-tat-tat, it's broken! :p )

Okay, lecture over! Thanks for your indulgence. :cool:

2. Ia-Bou Jedi Knight

star 3
    I just feel like venting about troubles with filming..about all the crap my friends give me......and lingo happens to be one of them........I was wondering if anyone wanted to listen.

Ia
  3. Wolfgang_Treadwell Jedi Knight

star 1
    By all means share!

...even though you just called it "filming". [face_devil]
  4. SeaTrooper Jedi Knight

star 3
    Can we use the word "Flick" instead?
  5. Cigam Retah Force Ghost

star 5
    I like to call them 'Fan Home Movies' sometimes, however alot of them branch out beyond them. I think 'Star Wars Based Short Feature' would be a good technical term.

However, I do belive 'film' is in reference to a feature shot on film, be it 8, 16, 35, or even 70 mm film. Which raises the question, is Episode II a film? It was shot all on Digital Video, thus, no film. It's like writing a book on the computer. It's typing, no pens involved.

I say use the terms interchangeably. However, it's safe to assume that hardly none of the fan film makers use film, because they have to use lower end equipment to acheive their special effects, and can't afford a lofty film-to-DV transfer.
  6. Sandy Jedi Knight

star 2
    Plus, shooting on rilm film is expensive, especially if you're overshooting for alternate shots.

I think "film" is a term so interchangeable that almost nobody blinks an eye--much like driving up to Burger King and asking for a Dr. Pepper and then later explaining that you had a burger and a coke rather than a carbonated drink and sandwich.

Sandy
  7. Wolfgang_Treadwell Jedi Knight

star 1
    Again, I'm not referring to the final product. That's a different issue imho. (Although to answer your question EpII would be a film even to sticklers because it will be distributed on 35mm projection prints...except for those oh-so-few theatres with digital projection.) So for what it's worth, I have no problem with "fanfilm" (although "fanflick" does seem to roll of the tounge..).

It's the VERB (and the noun referring to what you're recording on) that I'm referring to: "we'll be filming" when videotape is what's being used. Pepsi certainly wouldn't dig their product being referred to as "Coke", and I think it's important not to do the same thing here. There are two terms referring to two different things, and linguistically it is a step backwards to transform specific terms into general ones...especially since there are already general terms available that can apply to both mediums (as I supplied above).

If I decided to get into, say, restoring classic cars as a hobby, went to a show and started calling Fords "Chevys", and insisted the difference didn't matter, doncha think they'd set me straight? Or if I entered the military and kept calling my rifle a "gun", or a prop plane a "jet"...the new recruit doesn't get to change the rules.

Or you video game fans: doesn't it bug you when people refer to system cartridges as "tapes"?

Anyhow, I didn't mean to come across so arrogant up there! :) I think it's great that SW is inspiring people to get into this stuff (as it did me). The more the merrier! Naturally there is a learning curve and no one can expect beginners to be well versed in the subject. But beginners should be willing, nay, EAGER to learn about the world they're entering, terminology and all.

8. Lumwyrm Jedi Knight

star 1
    This is my rifle, this my gun; this is for shooting, this is for fun!

Film, film, film, film, film, film, film.
    Ah don't like film!
    Ah love film; I'm having film, film, film, eggs, and film.
    We're outta eggs!
    Well can I have film instead?
    You want film, film, film, film, and film?
  9. Ia-Bou Jedi Knight

star 3
    ok, I am going to vent here my friends....

a few years ago I wrote this chapter of a starwars story...then a few years after I see some fan films on the net and I say to myself.."Im gonna turn it into a fan film,!!! " So I write this story...based on a female Jedi. This would be something most starwars stories lack. Then as I write the story I develope the secondary character into the main character at times. The story is about a "myth" or "legend" told within the jedi temple walls. A story forgotten with time because many failed to believe the corruption deception and inability to make an effort to protect and defend made by the Jedi Council. So the story is about this female Jedi. Who coems from a past she and the council has hidden...she then retrurns to that past and procedes to take the place she would have originally taken had she never been forced to become a Jedi.

So the story is about her.....and its about her protector, Ijun Dergeberillious, who is a normal Jedi that gets caught up in the mess and deception intwined into the sotry of his best friend's life. It is not till the very end that you truely find her fate, her past, my she has been protected by the council, what path she choses to take, why this story became a myth, and who the apprentice of the force truely is...........

But when you look at the whole story, it is really told through Ijun's eyes. It is really about his Journey to become a Jedi, and this girl, his bst friend, that he swore to protect. Basically its about growing up in the life of a Jedi and giving up all those instincts common to your species.

Now here is the problem. Some of the people I have asked to be in my movie have a problem with me playing the main part in the movie. The truth is that I am the only one really putting in the effort to make the ovie so is it to much of a problem to want to be in my own movie? besides all the laborate costumes I am making are easier to fit when the person who wears them is sleeping in my bed! (I was referring to myself by the way) What ever happened to the right to have your own prjects your own creativity, and your own imagination.....whats wrong with me wanting to dress up like a jedi and be in a movie? I mean I have spent hours on the pre production for this project. all I ask form my actors is to sho up when I need them and to buy theirselves shoes for the movie

Can't I just have a little fun!!!! besides, I know I will always be theie for filming, and I can depend on me...ive always wanted to make a movie like this...why cant I be one of the main characters? besides.....the real "star" of the show is Aaron, who plays "Ijun" grrrrr...I just want to get this done and have some fun!!!!!!!1
  10. Sandy Jedi Knight

star 2
    Ia,

Hard to comment since I'm not sure of the exact content of the criticism. If you're worried about the feedback, I'd suggest you step back a bit and ask: (1) Are you playing the role because you really are the best one to play that character, and (2) Are you playing that character to best achieve the completion of your fan film/vid/flick (all politically correct terms here). If the foremost reason isn't because you're the best for that part then I'd have to guess that some of the criticism is valid.

The shorter answer is: "Yes, you have the right to just want to have a little fun playing the role but they have the right to not want to participate".

Just my opinion based on what you've written.

Sandy
  11. Mayo_Solo Jedi Master

star 4
    Ia I think it's great that you are doing that part. Since you wrote the character then you are most likely going to be able to play them better. Plus a lot of big time writers and directors acted in their movies. So don't worry about it.
  12. Wolfgang_Treadwell Jedi Knight

star 1
    Nothing wrong with doing whatever the heck you want with your own project. It's YOUR baby, and if you wanna star in it, who's to stop you?

And you're right, you are the one person you can count on to always be there when it's time to roll. I had the same problem when I made my Indiana Jones parody in 1989; I fully intended to have someone else play the part but never found anyone and ended up doing it myself. Fortunately, I take my own direction well (and was a lot thinner then :)

But to try to explain the reactions you describe: the phenomenon of fans putting thinly disguised versions of themselves into their own fiction goes way back to when the original Star Trek was first airing and "Spockies" wrote stories about characters remarkably like themselves showing their favorite Vulcan the wonderful world of human emotion and passion (to varying degrees of explicity). Such stories were basically wish-fulfillment, which can be a healthy thing to put on paper, but most of them should've remained a personal exercise and not published in fanzines for the whole of fandom to be subjected to. Not many folks really wanted to know THAT much about the author's desires for a fictional character.

Thus when folks think they detect a "Star Wars ME Story starring ME!" in the works they roll their eyes and dismiss the project as an egocentric exercise....which can be unfair when it isn't so.

13. Ia-Bou Jedi Knight

star 3
    wow thanks for reassuring me guys....the truth is the character is nothing like me at all....I am a really creative person...so I just thought it would be a good story....I fact ...in real life...I am a victim of love have been my whole life...where as my character has totally refused love....I have a close and loving family...my character has no family...was hated and abandonned by them..therefore never learned to love..

grrr...someone tell this to my meighbor
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.