main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Note on Photos and Scans of LFL publications

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by surlygirlie, Mar 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    As per the forum ownership at the request of Lucasfilm, posting any scans or photos of licensed book material (novelization, comics, visual dictionary, etc.), or links to same, is now forbidden as it is a violation of copyright. All such items and links will be removed, and can result in banning.

Since this is a new directive, posts including such materials made prior to this announcement will be edited, but will not incur punishment.

2. surlygirlie

Aug 1, 2000
    Just for the record, I?m really sorry this is happening, and I know Sister_Sola is, too ? please know that we will miss juicy spoiler pics as much as everyone else. :(

-edited for really bad grammar/typo. [face_blush]

3. LadySonnet

LadySonnet Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2003
    Thanks for the apology, though I'm pretty sure we all know it's not your fault. I forgive you, at least. ;)

Just for the record though, in case anyone from Lucasfilm is listening, this really annoys me. Not because I've posted lots of pictures that I have to take down or anything, but because it makes me wonder what's next. Sigh. [face_frustrated]

Sonnet

4. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    It's beyond frustrating. I can understand Hyperspace restrictions (though I don't like them) because it is pay-per-view - but now prohibiting written material? What's next - we're not allowed to link to or repost web site images? On the one hand they want us to participate in costume contests and to dress up at CIII - but that's hard to do when you can't see what the costumes look like.

My enthusiasm for Star Wars and ROTS has been increasingly dampened by the heavy-handedness this time out. It was far more fun anticipating AOTC. I know it's not SG or Sola's fault, so this isn't aimed at them.

I'll stop by complaining now.

5. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Thanks for the info girlie.

It is bothersome now but perhaps LFL will ease up once these copyrighted materials become available for purchase on April 2. I can understand why they would like to keep these products under wraps until they have a chance to sell them.

April 2 can't come soon enough.

6. Aliabes

Aliabes Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    On the French Fan Force board, we were told that it was TFn's april fool's joke. I must say not it's not really my kind of humour? :p

7. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Hi Aliabes, unfortunately, this is not an April Fool's joke - note this sticky thread was posted on March 22nd.

We ARE in fact not allowed to post any scans or photos of licensed book material (novelization, comics, visual dictionary, etc.), or links to same, and it IS really at the request of Lucasfilm.

Thanks for understanding.

8. Aliabes

Aliabes Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    Gosh I knew it! It was the 3rd joke of the guy who told us that. He's officially on my "must-shoot" list now :oops:

Thanks anyway to the trust-worthy moderators here :)

9. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Is posting links to licensed material on authorized sites OK? Like a link to things on amazon.com (but NOT reposting anything)? One can only assume that they get permission for the samples they display.

10. Sister_Sola

Nov 19, 2002
    Quoting DarthSapient: "Regarding the lit part of Episode III, we need to remove all links, scans, posts saying where to view these things, etc... until after the film is released."

So to be on the safe side, I'd say we had better not post links to amazon's listing of these either.

11. Ice_Ghost11

Ice_Ghost11 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 24, 2005
    Um... is it okay to make offers to email things to people? Like scans of species or things from like the comics and whatnot or should I speak to the person off the board?

12. Sister_Sola

Nov 19, 2002
    I'm not sure about that one, let me check.

13. Sister_Sola

Nov 19, 2002
    Update: it is not okay to post an offer to email or request that someone email you these things either (*slaps self on hand*). If you want someone to send you the photos, you can PM them directly; just don't post about it in the threads.

Note: there won't be any retroactive bannings for having done so, since it wasn't clarified until now.

14. FiorCara

FiorCara Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 9, 2001
    Is this just on new stuff? i.e ROTS?

15. Ice_Ghost11

Ice_Ghost11 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 24, 2005
    Thank you Sola Sista! I'll make a point not to do that anymore. [face_worried]

16. Sister_Sola

Nov 19, 2002
    "Posting any scans or photos of licensed book material (novelization, comics, visual dictionary, etc.), or links to same, is now forbidden as it is a violation of copyright."

This does not specify ROTS only, so we will consider this as applying to all licensed LFL material.

17. Jorg_Sacul_from_C3

Jorg_Sacul_from_C3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 26, 2004
    quote: "...so we will consider this as applying to all licensed LFL material."

But...but...EVERYTHING is licensed. Sure, I can say Jehovah, Jehovah, Jehovah all day long on the boards, but I can't mention anything with the LFL TM on it?

That's just a little uh, wacky, don't you think? We are fans. We aren't in this for profit (buying and selling is forbidden on these boards) and we aren't trying to damage the image or likeness of any characters of this franchise.

I will comply with their wishes, but jeezlooeeze, how are we supposed to communicate about this stuff?

"Hey, dig my new *** **** blaster! It was made from a modified **** ********* blaster toy. Did you see the latest pictures released for ******* ** *** ****? ****** sure looks scary with those yellow eyes. I hear the ***** ******** ****** makes an appearance, owned by **** ******, senator from ********. The two ****** show up, and are in the same hallway as the beginning of ******* ** from 1977. I saw a picture in ******* magazine that was very cool.

See my point?

18. surlygirlie

Aug 1, 2000
    In all honesty, I think things will be more relaxed once Ep. III is out and all the merchandising rush is past. I conjecture that they are wanting to control the scans from books and other publications in an effort to prevent diminished sales (though most fans probably download whatever they can find AND buy the books anyway, IMO).

19. Jorg_Sacul_from_C3

Jorg_Sacul_from_C3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 26, 2004
    There is no way having pictures online will dissuade me from buying a Star Wars book.

I'm a definite book junkie when it comes to Star Wars picture books. The only ones I don't have other than the monster $150 coffee table book are the ROTS books. Still trying to be spoiler-free! Don't worry, LFL, I have them on reserve at my local Barnes & Noble's.

20. kawaiiwildragon

kawaiiwildragon Jedi Youngling

Sep 24, 2003
    It's Lucas' right to ask for us not to post spoiler pics. In case you people forget, its George Lucas' movie. I think we can all deal with the pictures they let out for publicity in magazines, not stuff people dig up. They have every right to ban us from seeing that stuff, and even though I would like to see those images for the sake of costuming, I am willing to be respectful and not post spoiler images.

21. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    The reason why the ruling went down when it did is that books like the Ep 3 Visual Dictionary was being scanned and posted in a number of forums, weeks before the book was even released.

Lucasfilm was protecting their property and their publishers, because while you and I would still buy the books anyways, there is going to be a certain percentage of people who won't now because they got the images they want.

While any scans from any book breaks copyrights, I'm sure the occasional scan of an image from a book to illustrate a point will eventually be overlooked as it was in the past, but for now we need to respect the decision of the copyright holder to defend their position.

This will get stronger in the fall. With the Trisha Biggar book, the John Knoll book and the new PT version of Chronicles all coming out with much higher price tags than things like the Visual Dictionary, there will be more people who will be happy with wholesale scans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.