main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends A Padawan No More (An Obaona plot idea story) Updated 3/29!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by masterobiwankenobi, Jul 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masterobiwankenobi

masterobiwankenobi Jedi Master star 1

Mar 1, 2003
    Chapter Two
    Second Thoughts

Author Notes: Words in ittalics indicate text taken from JA #6.

Qui-Gon sat silently in the dark room trying not to think about what had happened on his last mission. It had proved a futile effort though. His Padawan of only 3 months, who he had begun to believe was the perfect Padawan for him, had drawn his weapon on him. The boy had not challenged him, but he had drawn the weapon nonetheless. Obi-Wan had handed him his lightsaber, the same weapon that Qui-Gon now held in his hands, and walked away from him.

He had not thought Obi-Wan would leave the Order, leave him, and his friends. He remembered how determined the boy had been to become a Padawan. It was still hard to believe the lad had given up his dreams so easily. As Qui-Gon turned his former Padawan?s weapon repeatedly in his hands, he wondered if the boy was all right. He had left him alone and weaponless on a war torn world that had been slowly destroying itself for years. He knew it had been Obi-Wan?s choice to remain on Melida/Dann, but it didn?t feel right to leave him helpless like that.

He wondered for at least the tenth time, if he should have let Obi-Wan go to Bandomeer to become a farmer. Perhaps he had been wrong about the Force guiding him to Obi-Wan after all. He had been wrong about the good he had sensed in Xanatos before he had chosen him. Maybe he just was not meant to have a Padawan. He certainly would not take another just to watch a third Apprentice turn against him. He had finally started to allow himself to trust Obi-Wan, and then the mission to Melida/Dann changed everything. It would not happen again.

Mace Windu watched his friend sit alone at a table in the cafeteria. The stubborn man had done little more than push the contents of his meal around his plate for the last half hour. He thought his obstinate friend would have realized the mistake he had made after a couple of days away from Obi-Wan, but it had been weeks now since he had returned to the Temple without the boy.

Mace had finally had enough of Qui-Gon Jinn?s inflexibility, and decided to do something about it, especially since Master Yoda had also given up on convincing Qui-Gon that he and Obi-Wan were meant to be together. The Council member walked purposefully through the hallway and stopped outside of Tahl?s apartment. Knight Tahl was one of the only people he knew who might be able to convince their friend that he was making what a terrible mistake.

Mace pushed the button to announce his presence and the door simultaneously slid open. ?Did you come to check up on me too?? Tahl questioned irritably.

?No,? Mace tentatively entered the room looking around the sparsely decorated apartment. It looked the same as he remembered. She had even left the holocubes on the shelves and tabletops. Each one showed a memorable occasion in Tahl?s life, like the day she was Knighted, he and Qui-Gon were both in the holocube with her. ?I came to ask you a favor.?

?Really,? Tahl raised an eyebrow. ?What kind of favor??

?I would like you to talk to Qui-Gon. He will listen to you. He is hurting himself more than he realizes by letting Obi-Wan remain on Melida/Dann.?

?I?ve tried to talk to him already. He won?t listen. He wouldn?t even tell me exactly what happened between him and his Padawan. All I know is that the boy drew his weapon on him. That is something that a Padawan is never supposed to do, and this is the second Padawan to do it.?

Mace sighed and sat down on a nearby chair. ?Tahl, according to Qui-Gon?s report, Obi-Wan only did it because he felt he had to help the Young. He believed that he was doing the right thing. Master Yoda and I suspect that the Force had guided him to do so. Yoda has received word that the Young have won the war. Qui-Gon thought Obi-Wan was fighting for a lost cause; obviously the Padawan saw it differently.?

?They have achieved peace?? Tahl questioned turning her unseeing eyes in his direction for the first time

2. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

OMG Qui-Gon you idiot
    Wake up and look around. Obi-wan is just a kid
    trying to do the right thing.

This is great But I dont like that the elders have shot him
    and then used a stun gun on him
    What do they want.

Poor Obi

MORE SOON [:D]

3. JOINME

JOINME Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 25, 2005
    Oh no! Will Obi-Wan be OK? [face_worried]

I liked how Mace and Tahl were helping Qui-Gon to see the truth. Although I fear he will not easily trust Obi-Wan again. :(

Great update! :) I can't wait to see what will happen next. Post soon! [face_praying]

4. masterobiwankenobi

Mar 1, 2003
    Gkilkenny Qui was quite stuborn in the beginning of the JA series, [face_thinking] i can't tell you what the elders are planning then i'd have to shoot you. :eek: lol. Thanks for reading.

JOINME with qui, trusting obi always seemed to come a little late, but perhaps he'll have a change of heart. [face_whistling] Thanks for reading, i'm glad that you like it.

i'm kind of busy with college right now, i have a psychology project to do, a report to write, and an oral presentation due soon; but i'll try to get the next post done as soon as posible. it's actually finished, i just have to edit it, and then send it to my beta reader for more editing. (i'm picky about what i post);)

Peggy 8-}

5. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004

Shoot me! Shoot Me? you wouldn't WOULD you

Ok we will wait take your time make it a good post
    like all the others[face_dancing]

6. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Oh no, poor Obi-Wan! What do the elders want? [face_worried] Qui-Gon, you stubborn bantha brain! Go back and save Obi! I'm glad that Mace and Tahl seem to finally be getting through to him though.

Nice job! Thanks for the pm :)

7. kateydidnt

kateydidnt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Gah!
    Update update update PLEASE!

8. ___Sithspawn___

___Sithspawn___ Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 17, 2004
    ^I second that; this is getting really good.

9. Star_Drifter

Star_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2005
    :oops: I can't believe I left this next post unread for so long!

So, I just reread all of it! :D

He fell face first onto the hard dirt, before the darkness of unconsciousness engulfed him, he realized that he would not have a chance to apologize to Qui-Gon Jinn, or see any of his real friends from the Temple again.

You have to admit that you left off in a rather bad place, Obi-Wan laying there helpless and wounded... [face_worried]

:rolleyes: I know, real life must come first, and my own college years were insanely busy...

More, please, when you can! [:D]

10. masterobiwankenobi

Mar 1, 2003
    Thanks for all the reviews and patience.

I had the next chapter, which i will post right after this one, finished for nearly a month, but because of problems with my son and college i was unable to post it before now. :mad: hopefully everything is back on track and it won't be as long for the next chapter, which i should post next week or the following week. [face_praying]

thanks again,

Peggy 8-}

11. masterobiwankenobi

Mar 1, 2003
    Chapter Three

A Stubborn Fool

Tahl sat silently in The Room of a Thousand Fountains. Qui-Gon, who sat beside her, was trying to find his calm center so he could meditate. Tahl took solace in the life that she sensed surrounding them. Insects buzzed near by most likely near the blooming flowers that she could smell. She and Qui-Gon both enjoyed this very spot near a pond and a large statue of a Jedi hero from long ago. The area was partially secluded, only a handful of other Jedi frequented the spot, which was part of what made it their favorite. Qui-Gon had mentioned finding Obi-Wan here once after he had first accepted him, apparently the boy had enjoyed the area as much as they did.

Tahl took a deep breath, savoring the aroma of the various plants that assaulted her senses. She could almost see the red Willi flowers that bloomed for only three short weeks during the year. The pale blue Crininan plants swayed slightly with the synthetic breeze that lightly blew through the air disturbing her companion?s long flowing hair. Her mind projected an image of Qui-Gon Jinn staring out at the pond dwelling on the betrayal of a second Padawan. She could sense that he wanted to believe all that she, Mace, and Yoda had told him, and not to give up on his Padawan; but the stubborn man was arguing with himself considering all the reasons why he should never trust the young boy again.

?Excuse me,? a young female voice asked interrupting her thoughts. Tahl turned her head in the direction of the narrow barely discernable path, which led to this area from the more commonly used walkway. Tahl could smell the faint lingering scent of the pond closest to the largest fountain where the Gorix lilies kept the water smelling more flowery than the usual fishy smells of most of the other ponds in the large room.

?Hello Bant,? Tahl smiled, ?how can we help you??

?I um? I was just wondering if you could tell me why Obi-Wan left. I heard that he chose to stay behind with new friends that he made. But that just doesn?t make sense, he has friends here; true friends that have been his friends for a long time. I know he felt aggravated about your relationship, but he wouldn?t have just left like that. He would have stayed with you, unless you didn?t want him anymore,? the young girl said. She spoke very quickly, and Tahl noted the way she barely took a breath between words. She could hear the quiver in her voice as the youngster spoke, and knew the girl was either already crying or on the verge of tears.

?What do you mean he was aggravated about our relationship? Was Obi-Wan unhappy with his training?? Qui-Gon?s deep voice interrupted her thoughts.

?No, he was glad to be a Padawan, especially your Padawan.?

?But,? Qui-Gon prompted, Tahl could hear the irritation in his voice.

?I shouldn?t tell you, Obi-Wan trusted me,? Bant told him.

?Initiate Eerin, tell me,? Qui-Gon demanded using her lower rank against the young girl. Tahl shook her head as the girl began to sob. She knew exactly what Qui-Gon was doing; he was trying to find out if Obi-Wan had intended to leave him all along. The fool was even more of a Bantha brain than she had originally thought.

?He loved being your Padawan,? Bant began with another sob. ?But he thought the only reason you took him as your Padawan was because you felt sorry for him; he thinks that you don?t really want him. He said that you constantly shielded from him and barely spoke to him unless you had to. But he told me that he was glad that he would still have a chance to become a Knight. He did wish, though, that you could have a relationship like other Masters and Padawans, where you are like best friends or even a father/son relationship. That?s why I know that he would not just leave without a good reason.?

Tahl did not need the Force to know that the girl?s words and the truth they could both easily sense stunned him; she knew by his silence how he felt. ?Bant, this is not a good time to speak with Master Jinn. Perhaps you can come and see

12. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004

OOOOh this is getting exciting, every one wants Obi as their apprentice.
    Find him quickly, let him be Mace's or Tahls padawan
    better still Yoda's padawan.[face_dancing]

Let Qui-gon sit on the sidelines and watch him grow into a fine Knight.[face_praying]

More soon please.

13. Star_Drifter

Star_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2005
    Mace Windu had enough of his friend?s stubbornness. The Councilman walked determinedly down the Temple?s vast corridors toward the hangar. He had made up his mind that since Qui-Gon Jinn apparently was not going to realize the fool he was being anytime soon, he would have to do something. He was going to go to Melida/Dann himself to help Obi-Wan and bring him back where he belonged. If he had to, he would take over the boy?s training. Master Yoda had told him many times that he felt the boy was important to the future of the Jedi. He would not allow one fool to destroy that future.

Are we going to see the Jedi fight over who gets to train Obi-Wan? [face_batting]

That is, if he will be okay. After all, he was wounded! [face_worried]

I hope that you can update soon! [face_praying]

14. Stella_Ripple

Stella_Ripple Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    Yay! Qui's finally come to his senses! [face_dancing] But, poor obi, he seemed in a bad way the last time we saw him, hope he's alright [face_praying]
    Can't wait for the next post!

15. Jedi_Tigris

Mar 7, 2005
    Yay, Qui finally realized! And now all the other Masters want Obi-Wan. [face_laugh] :D Qui is going to have to fight for Obi, if he really does want Obi back. Loved how Mace told Qui in no uncertain terms to get out, he was going to get Obi not matter what. :D

Very nice! Thanks for the pm!

16. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Nicely done. I'm enjoying this so far. I think you've captured both of them well. Please update me with PMs. Thanks.

17. masterobiwankenobi

Mar 1, 2003
    Sorry it took so long to reply, I've been very busy and sick. and then the kids got sick too. I have the next update ready and will post it in a few minutes. I would have had it posted a lot sooner, but....

Gkilkenny It does seem like everyone wants obi as their Padawan doesn't it. [face_thinking] yoda would be a good master for obi, but i have other plans. there will be much more excitement ahead. [face_mischief]
    Star_Drifter [face_thinking] the jedi fighting over obi would be interesting.... we'll have to see what happens.
    Stella_Ripple yes qui did finally come to his senses. glad you like the story so far. :)
    Jedi_Tigris yes qui will definately have to fight for obi although, it may end up being slightly different than what you think. [face_whistling]
    dianethx thanks, i'm glad that you're enjoying this. :)

Peggy 8-}

18. masterobiwankenobi

Mar 1, 2003
    Chapter Four

A Jedi?s Lifeline

Pain was the first thing that entered his awareness as he slowly began to regain consciousness. The pain was a searing throb on his arm just below his shoulder that screamed for him to visit the healers. Slowly Obi-Wan opened his eyes, unsure of what he would find. He was lying on the cool floor of a dimly lit room. The damp and unheated room was empty except for his injured form. He felt like he was lying in a puddle of water; at least he hoped it was water. The filthy durasteel floor was cold and he felt his body shiver as he slowly rolled over onto his back, before he carefully moved into a sitting position.

With a deep breath, Obi-Wan glanced at his left arm. A scorch mark covered his dirty tunic where the laser bolt had hit him. His chest tingled where he had been stunned. He remembered Knight Tahl?s injuries at the hands of the Melida elders, and wondered if he was in the same room where they had kept Knight Tahl Obi-Wan groaned as he thought about his predicament, unlike Tahl, he had no one who would rescue him. He doubted that anyone knew he was in danger. If they did know, they wouldn?t care.

You are nobody, you?re nowhere, and you are nothing?

Nield would most likely assume that he had found a way off planet. Roenni was probably kicking herself for trying to talk to him, and Qui-Gon by now, had to be back on Coruscant, telling the Council how Obi-Wan had betrayed him. Nield was right. He was not a Dann, he was not a Melida, and he was no longer a Jedi; he was nobody.

Taking another deep breath, he tried to access the Force to release his fears and try to heal his wound. Qui-Gon had not taught him to heal himself before they came here, and he doubted the little bit that he had learned by observing healers, and other Knights would help him. Once again the Force eluded him, and attempting to heal himself was useless. Further attempts to call on the Force ceased with the sound of footsteps outside the room. The door opened with a screech of protest. Three Melida elders entered the room, carrying blasters that they each aimed at him. Even if he could, access the Force there was nothing that he could do; a fight now would ensure his death.

?Alright kid,? the tallest of the three men began, ?I want to know where your Master is??

?I don?t know,? Obi-Wan answered, ?I don?t have a Master anymore.?

One of the other men kicked him in the stomach and said, ?don?t lie to us kid. Tell us where Qui-Gon Jinn is.? A scar that ran from his chin down to his shoulder blade seemed to vibrate with his words. ?We can make this easy or hard on you, it?s your choice.?

?He took Tahl back to Coruscant. He?s not on Melida/Dann anymore,? Obi-Wan told them knowing they would not believe him.

?Why would he leave without you?? the shortest of the three men asked.

?Because I chose to stay here and help the Young,? Obi-Wan said through clenched teeth.

?I don?t believe you. Why would you want to stay here?? the man with the scar kicked him in the chest. The force of the kick knocked Obi-Wan backward against the wall as the crack of bones breaking filled the small room. A new pain tore through the former Padawan?s body. Breathing was rapidly becoming difficult; he knew that he now had broken ribs to go along with the blaster wound.

?Where is your Master?? the first man demanded again.

?I told you he?s on Coruscant,? Obi-Wan ground out.

The Elder who had kicked him before, bent down so he was eye level with the boy, wrapped his large wrinkled hand around Obi-Wan?s neck, and lifted the youth as he slowly stood up. As Obi-Wan struggled to catch his breath the man, holding him pulled a vibro-shiv out of his pocket. He held the blade of the weapon close to the boy?s neck, so close that if he moved his throat would be slit. ?Tell us where your Master really is boy.?

?I told you the truth; he went back to the Jedi Temple on Coruscant. Tahl needed medical attention, and I chose to help the Young. Qui-Gon Jinn is no lon

19. Jedi_Tigris

Mar 7, 2005
    Oh, poor Obi-Wan, thinking that he has no one. :_| Stupid, mean elders. :mad: [face_worried] I hope they don't do anything else to Obi before Qui and Mace find him. They will, right? [face_praying] I'm glad Mace is with Qui, and I hope they can find some resolution to the conflict. Loved the bit about the lightsaber being the Jedi's lifeline.

Great job! Thanks for the pm. :)

Edit: spelling

20. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    I just read this whole thing, and I must say that now I'm hooked! :D

I'm glad that Qui-Gon seems to be slowly coming to his sense where Obi-Wan is concerned, I just hope that he's not too late! [face_worried] Poor Obi-Wan! :_| I'm glad Mace is there too, now the two Masters can kick double the butt! [face_devil] ;)

I'm definitely a sucker for Qui/Obi stories, I'm glad I found this one! :D I'm definitely looking forward to more! [face_batting]

21. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004

=D=

Poor Obi-wan, he has lost faith.:_|

and if Qui-Gon doesn't find him in time
    Qui-Gon will never be the same again.[face_worried]

He was tormented by Xanatos betrayal
    But the torment of his own betrayal of Obi-wan
    may be to much for him to bear.[face_worried]

Please update as soon as possible[face_praying]

22. masterobiwankenobi

Mar 1, 2003
    hey, i was just checking email and stuff before i go to college and finally got to check if i had replies. ;)

Jedi_Tigris thanks, i'm glad you liked it. I thought the part about the lifeline turned out really good too, (i actually think that a better writer took over my body for that scene. lol)

Stupid, mean elders. I hope they don't do anything else to Obi before Qui and Mace find him. They will, right? would i write a story where they didn't find him? [face_thinking]

Bastet thanks, glad you found the story and are enjoying it. The next part is already written, I just have to finish editing it and then send it to my beta reader. :)

Gkilkenny yeah obi has lost his faith, can't really blame him though. you're right qui wouldn't be the same again if he didn't find obi in time. I will try to edit the next chapter in between classes today at college, hopefully it won't take too long. glad you're still enjoying this.

Peggy 8-}

23. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Very nice work! I hope you'll be updating soon! :D

24. cyberspy7

cyberspy7 Jedi Youngling

Nov 16, 2005
    Great work, can't wait for more,

p.s. whats with the dating system? dd/mm/yy does'nt seem to fit it? i'm confused

25. masterobiwankenobi

Mar 1, 2003
    Chapter Five
    The Cost of Peace

?Six hours,? Qui-Gon thought, his aggravation at the lack of information quite obvious. He and Mace Windu had been on Melida/Dann for over six hours and still hadn?t heard anything about Obi-Wan. A boy named Tegan, who Roenni had sent to look for the former Padawan, had returned an hour ago. The boy, about ten or eleven-years-old had informed them that he had checked every hiding place that he knew, but could not find him. Qui-Gon had felt a pang of hope that perhaps the teen had made it off the planet, but that hope was dashed with Tegan?s next words. The boy told them that he had hacked into the communications center and had determined that there had been no transmissions sent off planet other than Roenni?s message to Qui-Gon and Yoda. And no transports other than Qui-Gon?s had been seen landing or departing the planet.

Qui-Gon?s stomach began to twist into tighter and tighter knots as each hour passed without word of the boy?s location. Qui-Gon and Mace had made significant progress with helping the Young in their quest for peace. However, despite the progress they made, Qui-Gon knew he should be looking for Obi-Wan instead. He feared the lad was in danger and needed his help. His rational side told him that Obi-Wan was trained in survival skills and was more than capable of taking care of himself. His cynical side, however, nagged at him that the training had not included a war torn planet; with Elders that hated the Jedi, and had already blinded and nearly killed a Jedi Knight much more experienced than Obi-Wan.

?Qui-Gon,? Mace called, breaking him out of his reverie. ?The Young and the Elders are going to Zehava, to the Hall of Evidence. We must bring this recording that we found there and stop this madness. We will find Obi-Wan,? the Councilman assured him with a hand on Qui-gon?s shoulder.

Qui-Gon could only nod. He felt as if each step they took toward achieving peace was bathed in an undeniable sense of wrongness. It clung to him, slowing his steps and making his mind sluggish. Obi-Wan Kenobi should stand beside them as they fought to restore peace to Melida/Dann; he had risked his life as a Jedi as well as his own safety to help them. The Padawan had believed peace could be attained, and had forsaken his own dreams for that cause. Tahl, Yoda, and Mace were right; Obi-Wan was nothing like Xanatos. Yes, the boy had turned his back on Qui-Gon, but he did it for a reason, a good reason. Xanatos had turned his back on him out of revenge and greed. Obi-Wan had left his friends and his dreams behind for Peace; and the cost of that peace was high. He was no longer a Jedi and his new friends had turned against him, leaving him alone on an unfamiliar planet with no one to turn to for help.

His legs felt as if they were dragging large boulders attached securely to his ankles, making each step agonizingly harder than the previous one. With an equally heavy heart, Qui-Gon followed Mace toward the Hall of Evidence to restore peace to Melida/Dann without his Padawan following two steps behind.

?Knight Tahl,? Bant Eerin?s voice spoke tentatively in front of the table where the sightless Knight sat.

?Hello Bant,? Tahl grinned turning her head in the direction of the girl?s voice. ?Would you care to join me??

?Yes? no? I need to speak with you,? the Mon Calamarian stammered. Tahl could hear the girl?s boots scrape over the floor as she fidgeted.

?Bant, you?d be much more comfortable speaking with me if you would sit down,? Tahl told her pushing a nearby chair toward the girl with her foot.

?Thank you,? Bant said with a nod of her head that the older woman was unable to see. The Initiate slowly sat down on the edge of the proffered chair.

?You are here to talk about Obi-Wan, correct?? The Knight ate a spoonful of her Bantha meat stew while she waited for an answer.

?Yes, I?m worried about him. I still don?t understand why he left. He wanted to be a Jedi Knight more than anything el

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.