main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Padawan's Destiny

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by piano_man_73, Jul 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. piano_man_73

piano_man_73 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 17, 2002
    edit/ good story, but put it in the Fanfiction forums instead. :)

Canon: Jedi Apprentice characters used, but the story line is not followed, and while a very minor point, I've made Bant the same age as Obi-Wan.

Summary: A Padawan Learner is something very different from an Apprentice Knight.

Author's Notes: Two things collided in my mind to inspire this story: I was reading Mary Renault's "The Persian Boy" at the same time I had the thought that it was extremely redundant to call a Jedi-in-training a Padawan Learner. After all, the secondary canon is in agreement that Padawan is an old word for Apprentice. Apprentice Learner? Nah. So what if there is a difference between a Padawan Learner and an Apprentice Knight?

Warning: This one is squicky as hell. Obi-Wan is not only underage throughout, but this contains a consensual castration as part of a Jedi ritual. It does not have the reasons for or the effects of such a procedure in our world. IOW, Obi-Wan will remain the ... frisky Padawan we all know and love. Qui-Gon would have it no other way.

A Padawan's Destiny
    By Anne Higgins (annehiggins@mindspring.com)

Different. Obi-Wan sat in the corner away from his crechemates and contemplated them. All were nervous, even a little worried. They'd spent the last few days meditating as much as a group of seven-year-old Initiates could endure in an attempt to be ready for what waited for each of them behind the door Obi-Wan sat next to.

That was one of the differences between them and him. The others cast worried directions at the non-descript door and had chosen to sit as far away from it as possible. The last thing any of them wanted to do was go through it, yet Obi-Wan viewed his summons with anticipation. Because he was different.

He'd not understood until this very morning. Since the Force had spoken so clearly to him during his meditations, he'd assumed it had done so for everyone. A mistake. Nothing, not even a vague whisper had answered the contemplations of his friends. Now he was trying to figure out why.

Obi-Wan was neither falsely modest nor vain. He knew he was bright, enjoyed learning new things and cherished the company of others. Some of his crechemates were smarter in other things than he was, all shared his curiosity, but he'd noticed none craved affection the way he did. That must be why. Yes, it made sense.

A slight smile tugged at the corners of his mouth. He knew some of his friends would eventually chose the path which called so clearly to him, but no one else had heard the call in time for First Declaration Day. As Obi-Wan had understood their Crechemaster's words of assurance, it was very rare for Initiates of their age to be called to a particular path. Instead this was a day to affirm the Force called each of them to be a Jedi no matter what the eventual duties. Master N'bara had said no one would fail, for those who would, had learned a few basic things about shielding and control, then left the Temple long before reaching seven.

This didn't keep the others from worrying they would be the first to fail. Obi-Wan was certain he would be very afraid if the Force had not told him what he was to become. He smiled his secret little smile again. He'd seen himself so clearly with the Padawan braid draped over his right shoulder, while he walked a pace behind and to the right of a tall man in the dark brown robe of a Master.

Yes, he was different. It was First Declaration Day and he knew what his choice would be.

The door opened, and Bant stepped out. She smiled slightly. "I think it's okay," she whispered.

He gave the Mon Calamari's hand a friendly squeeze. "I told you you'd do fine."

She nodded. "You will, too."

A slight tugging within his mind made him stand. "Guess it's time to find out."

"Good luck," she said, then scurried off.

Obi-Wan straightened his robe, then entered the meditation chamber. Master N'bara sat on the floor with Master Yoda. A slender, regal silver-skinned woman next to the small, green, pointed-eared figur

2. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    You ought to repost this in the Fan Fiction- Before the Saga forum, since this is the incorrect forum to post Fan Fiction, and since your story takes place before Episode I, it would be best suited in the Fan Fiction forum I linked above. ;) :)

Nice story though. :)

Ken Kenobi- And you have a nice day ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.