main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends A Padawan's Measure - (Qui/Obi/Xan) - *one-shot*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Princess_Arulmozhi, Apr 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Title: A Padawan's Measure
    Author: PA
    Timeframe: Pre-JA
    Characters: Qui, Little Obi, Lightside!Xan
    Genre: Mush, Fluff, some angst
    Summary: A Knight, a Master and a padawan meet.
    Notes: A vain attempt to get my muse working. She seems to have deserted me completely, of late. also, I desperately wanted to read smirking Lightside Xan. Hope it works.

?Well, really.?

The sight that greeted Jedi Knight Xanatos De Crion, as he stood at the entrance to his erstwhile master?s rooms ? was certainly unexpected.

A small boy ? he barely seemed older than the average toddler ? stood at the door. His Jedi tunics were simple, yet perfectly draped over him, right down to miniature obi and tabards. A thin belt held the clothing in place, and small boots graced the legs. The boy himself looked suitably serious, large green-blue eyes taking in the visitor.

?Hello, youngling,? said Xanatos, wondering now if he had simply wandered off, unwitting, to the Temple?s Crèche. Had they switched places during his absence?

?Hello,? said the boy in return, emphasizing the ?l.?

Unlikely. There was only one youngling here in place of the horrifying hordes, had this really been a crèche. Following hard on the heels of this thought was the terrifying idea that perhaps his subconscious mind was willing him to take on a padawan, and that was why his legs had led to the toddler-quarters. He quelled a shudder that threatened to envelope him, and bent down again to the solemn boy who was still looking at him, hands clasped properly behind his back.

?Where is the Crèche-master, youngling? Why are you here alone??

?Masser Ada is in the crèche,? stated the youngster categorically, now looking, Xanatos noted, a little displeased. ?Who are you pwease?? the boy paused. ?Plllease??

The knight?s puzzlement retreated, suddenly replaced by good humour. ?I am Knight Xanatos De Crion,? he replied, spine stiffening unconsciously. ?And these are Master Qui-Gon Jinn?s rooms, little one. Why are you here?? Perhaps that wasn?t altogether the right way to phrase the question, but the fact really did puzzle him: why was the little boy here?

Qui-Gon has changed his rooms, he thought, resigned. And they are probably occupied by someone else. Now he would have to go searching for one errant Jedi master. Would he find Qui-Gon in a salle, perhaps? Or the Gardens? Or, he smiled, in the Temple Kitchens?

?These are Master Qui-Gon Jinn?s quarters, aren?t they?? he asked, doubtful.Certainly the name-plate indicated as much.

?Yes,? replied the child, staring at him. Then, the boy seemed to come to himself with a shake. ?Gweetings, Knight Zantos.? he paused, obviously negotiating ?DeCrion,? around his tongue, and then seemed to give it up. ?Pwease come in.?

Good Force. Had he not seen the evidence with his own eyes, and heard the betraying lisp, Xanatos would have thought himself in the presence of an esteemed Council Member. An aged Master, at any rate. And these did seem to be Qui-Gon?s rooms still. What in the name of merciful stars was a child this young doing in Qui-Gon?s rooms?

He hesitated at the doorway still ? to see Qui-Gon emerging from a chamber to his far left. At last.

?Master?? he called out. He had meant to say Qui-Gon ? his former Master had asked him to address him as such, once his training was over ? but Xanatos nearly always ended up using the title.

Qui-Gon himself had spotted him just that instant. The Master stood in the middle of the small room, dressed in a simple tunic, his hair unbound, cascading over his shoulders in chestnut waves. His somber eyes lit up. He strode swiftly to the door. ?Xanatos.?

They looked at each other, smiles blossoming on their faces. Xanatos stepped in first. Qui-Gon held his arms out. ?Padawan,? he said, and engulfed the knight in a warm embrace. ?It has been a while.?

?You look well,? Xanatos?s smile grew. ?And you have an interesting companion.? He looked down at the small boy who still stood with hands cl

2. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    As always, lovely, and a toddler Obi-Wan is just adorable. Hope your muse returns - I miss updates on your stories.

3. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Wow. That has to be one of my very, very favorite stories of yours (well, all of them are favorites :) ). I think you had just the right mixture of humor, drama and sweetness. I laughed, but my heart also clenched with the way Qui-Gon was living after Xanatos was Knighted.

?None of the Jedi I know would take a padawan more grow-up than they are, I believe,? Xanatos voice was edged with laughter. ?Certainly not at this ridiculous age.?

Qui-Gon crossed his arms across his chest, one eyebrow lifted elegantly. Obi-Wan, who had been standing by the door, edged closer and closer, until he stood by Qui-Gon?s side. Then, he raised a hand to clutch the edge of Qui-Gon?s robe.

Xanatos stood watching them, his lips parting slightly. ?Oh, good grief.? he said in a low voice.

[face_laugh] I laughed out loud at that. And Obi-Wan playing was so funny and cute. You really know how to write kids, and express the utter love that the people who care about them possess. It's almost painful it's so all-encompassing.

You'd never know you'd had a block. This is just perfect. [face_love] I'll be thinking of it all day, I'm sure. ;)

4. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Lovely Princess! Wonderfully well written and played out! [face_love] Love lil Obi! So adorable! Liked how Xan eventually gave in to the youth's fun! :D :D

Poor Qui :( at least he's found peace for a while with the lil youngling of Obi! :D

Thanks for sharing this! [:D]

5. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    As always, your work is flawless! :)

?You look well,? Xanatos?s smile grew. ?And you have an interesting companion.? He looked down at the small boy who still stood with hands clasped ? something that made Xanatos stare hard at him ? his eyes glistening with curiosity.

?How remiss of me,? Qui-Gon?s lips quirked in a smile. ?Obi-Wan, this is Xanatos De Crion. My former pupil.?

Obi-Wan bowed again, so deeply that he almost toppled over. Xanatos suppressed a chuckle, curbing an instinct to put out a hand and steady the boy.

?Ah. Our sage Council Member,? he said, bowing deeply in turn. Obi-Wan looked puzzled, while Qui-Gon?s lips twitched.

?Not a Council member yet, but he yearns to be a good Jedi. Xanatos, I present Obi-Wan Kenobi.? He paused, looking at Xanatos to observe his reaction fully. ?Padawan Obi-Wan Kenobi.?

Absolutely LOVED it! =D= But then, I love everything you write!

6. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Awww...that was lovely

[face_love] [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

It was so nice seeing a light Xanatos for a change and lil' Obi was just adorable.

=D= =D= =D= =D=

7. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    That was wonderful. I loved the shock of Xan finding out that young Obi-Wan was Qui-Gon's apprentice - especially at that age. I'm sure Xan must have thought Qui out of his mind. The adorable Obi-Wan was just hilarious. I especially liked the lightsaber duel he had with invisible friends.

Obi-Wan, by now satisfied that no one had seen him at his play, tiptoed out with a small pillow which covered his face until only his eyes were visible. ?Gweetings, Knight,? he spoke to the invisible playmate. ?I am pwincess Amema of Cowellia. How do you doo?? [face_laugh]

I also loved the dynamic between Qui and Xan and Qui's reason for taking Obi at such an age.

Great job. Love that your muse is back. I've missed your lovely writing.

8. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Wow, just wow.

A block you say, after reading this incredibly delightful story I find it hard to believe. Seriously, it was one of the most heartwarming fics I've read. I so wish this is what really happened.

P_A, I truly hope that this particular AU world is revisited again and again. I love the three of them together. And if it is, please don't hesitate to PM me. :D :D

9. XANl

XANl Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2006
    wonderful story!!
    this needs to be continued. =D= Your muse is back and has a great storyline right (or write) here to finish. Obi needs to get closer to xani and xani needs to get into trouble as he is so good at doing.. and xani needs a padawan. Possibly as young as obi, to help him understand the meaning of responiblity.

I love that sweet obi, and the nice caring xani[face_blush]please continue

10. Musing

Musing Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2003
    Wonderul! Another lil Obi story! [:D]

Does this fit into the "Gah!" framework somewhere? Looks like a natural fit to me. ;)

11. ThePreacher

ThePreacher Jedi Youngling

Apr 7, 2007
    Little Obi-Wan is always very cute. And also, a very nice job on Xanatos as a Jedi Knight. I always wondered what would happen if he hadn't chosen going back to his father. I really hope you continue with this.

-ThePreacher

12. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Oooooh, very nice! =D= Little Obi-Wan just brings the child out of Xanatos with their playtime. I wonder if Qui-Gon's position on the Council contributes to his need for such a young padawan? And Xanatos's sarcastic wit plays so well with Qui-Gon more conventional Jedi attitude. I think it is the mix of the three personalities that makes them so fun together. They each respond differently to each other, while being distinct personalities as well.

13. Fifilla

Fifilla Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2006
    Qui-Gon crossed his arms across his chest, one eyebrow lifted elegantly. Obi-Wan, who had been standing by the door, edged closer and closer, until he stood by Qui-Gon?s side. Then, he raised a hand to clutch the edge of Qui-Gon?s robe.
    Xanatos stood watching them, his lips parting slightly. ?Oh, good grief.? he said in a low voice.

[face_love] That was so very sweet!!! [face_love]
    I loved it!!!

14. Nimloth

Nimloth Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2007
    I enjoyed very much your story, but, it´s not a strange thing, because I´m always delighted with every one of them! :)
    BTW, would you not be so kind to update The Other, please? [face_praying]

15. dimyavie

dimyavie Jedi Master star 1

May 3, 2006
    That's such a cute story! I just got to read it, stupid work and college, lol. As always, wonderful work!!! Please update some of your other stories soon too! They're all awesome and I can't wait! :)

16. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    hehe, love their interactions! Obi is so cute! [face_love] =D=

17. Jturtle

Jturtle Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    So sweet.

I like the combination of characters you use here in particular. Toddler Obi and Light side Xan.

Very sweet.

=D=:D=D=

18. master_jade

master_jade Jedi Master star 2

Jan 27, 2006
    Mwahahaha!!![face_laugh] This was priceless! I love stories with light Xani (and yet still being himself - arrogant, overly confident, seemingly insensitive etc. :D) and little Obi. They're so funny.

Thanks for giving me good humour! [face_dancing]

19. Durhelediel

Durhelediel Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 5, 2004
    What a heart-warming story! I laughed really hard in some places just imagining an exasperated Qui and Xani. Not quite a Xani fan myself, I did enjoy how even though it was AU Xani, you did not completely detach him from his characteristics. It was very enjoyable to see him acting as he would have, had he stayed true to the light.

I really loved

?You mus go to sweep, Knight Zantos. I?m a Jedi. I?m doing a mind-wick on you,? he explained.

For one long moment, Xanatos stared into blue-green eyes that looked back at him, equal mixtures of entreaty and playfulness filled in them. At the tousled red-gold hair that spilled over the child?s forehead, the little arms that rested on his knees.

Then he spoke. ?Oh, what has come over me?? he clutched his head. ?I feel faint ?? And then he fell back on his chair, limp.

Obi-Wan squealed with delight.

I can't help but smile!! Very excellent work!

20. SakuraTsukikage

SakuraTsukikage Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2005
    I could have sworn I'd replied to this already. Silly me.

Anyway, this story is amazing. And the really amazing thing about it is that nothing particularly dramatic or life-altering happens, just a lot of little things, but those little things build up to an incredibly portrayed series of moments. Your characterization is so amazing, of all three characters, it leaves me awestruck. Great, great job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.