main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga A Palace in the Sand (Anakin/Padmé; Post-AOTC)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Gina, Jan 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    Title: A Palace in the Sand

Summary: When Anakin and Padmé spend a day on the island offshore from the Naboo lake retreat, Anakin discovers that even sand has its merits.

Genre: Romance

Characters: Anakin, Padmé

Timeframe: Post AOTC

Rating: PG

Disclaimer: Star Wars belongs to George Lucas. No money is being made.

Thanks to my beta, Handmaiden Eirtae!

Note: This story was inspired by Anakin's "I don't like sand" speech in AOTC.

Warning: Contains mush! :p

A Palace in the Sand

"This *cough* was a bad idea," he sputtered as a wave of water infiltrated his lungs. He tried desperately to continue his strokes, but his body was once again racked by coughs, and he began to sink. He only had time to take one final breath before the water rose above his head.

This is it, he thought to himself moments before he felt an arm grasp his waist and hoist him upwards.

As he broke the surface, he could hear soft laughter. Anakin wiped the water from his eyes then turned them angrily toward his beautiful rescuer.

"You find this humorous?" he asked his new bride, irritated.

"Yes, actually I do," Padmé said, giggling as she treaded water in front of him.

Anakin glared at her. He was embarrassed at having to be rescued by Padmé. After all, wasn't he supposed to be her protector?

"You forget that I, unlike certain others, did not exactly grow up around a great deal of water," he grumbled as he resumed his clumsy strokes and, once again, began slowly making his way towards their destination.

Padmé sighed and rolled her eyes good-naturedly before following her husband. They had been married only a few days, and, understandably, most of their time together thus far had been spent indoors. It had been her idea to swim to the tiny island offshore from the Naboo lake retreat, just as she had done so many times during her childhood, and spend the day relaxing and picnicking on its shores.

Anakin had been reluctant to the idea, owing to his lack of experience in the water and the fact that he was still growing accustomed to his prosthetic arm, but after much coaxing she had convinced him. They had stayed close to shore for a while as she taught Anakin the basics of swimming, and he had shown much promise. Now, however, Padmé was beginning to regret her idea. They had encountered rough water midway through their journey, and the young padawan was having a difficult time staying afloat, a fact that had greatly soured his mood.

The young couple swam side by side in silence for the remainder of their journey. After what seemed like several standard hours to Anakin, they finally reached shallow water. Anakin stood and staggered through the water until reaching dry land. He walked onto the beach, Padmé close behind him.

Great, just what I needed- sand, he thought, as with every step, the substance adhered itself to his wet skin and squished between his toes.

He plopped down heavily onto the large blanket laid out by the servants who had brought the supplies for their picnic earlier in the day.

The servants, Anakin groaned inwardly. His face grew warm as he thought back to their muffled laughter as the young women had passed by him in a small boat on their way back to the retreat during one of his less than graceful battles with the waves.

For a moment, the lovers were both quiet as they stared up at the cloudless sky, resting and drinking in the warmth of the sun. After catching her breath, Padmé sat up and turned to look at Anakin.

"I'm sorry," she told him. "I shouldn't have suggested this."

Anakin raised himself up onto his elbows and started to give a cross retort, but he stopped short at the look on Padmé's face. Her beautiful brown eyes were downcast, and she was frowning dejectedly as she pulled idly at a few loose threads on the picnic blanket.

He allowed himself a few more moments to take in the woman beside him.

2. kristeh

kristeh Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2003
    Hi, Gina,

Oh, do I get the first reply? Yay!

What a sweet tale. I enjoyed this glimpse into the beginning of Anakin and Padme's marriage. If only everything could have continued this way.

Poor Anakin. I'm sure he would be uncomfortable with the swimming, and his insecurities about Padme's love were touching. Anakin really does have a lot of doubts about himself, probably because he did begin life as a slave and then he knows that the Jedi didn't want him initially, either. Those things would be bound to leave scars. The arrogance he sometimes displayed in AOTC was a poor cover for his low self-esteem, I think, anyway.

Padme knew exactly how to reassure him, fortunately, and I loved how she combined the water and sand into the beautiful castle.

Lovely story, Gina! :)

Kristeh

3. Dally

Dally Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    That was lovely! Sweet and romantic, like a honeymoon should be, but a believable story too.

I love seeing the happy moments between them, because they will have more than their fair share of misery. Very nice. I hope you write more.

4. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Ok that was utterly adorable [face_love] [face_love]

I loved Ani and his shyness and sweetness and Padme's staunch determination to make him smile.

We can only dream that they got a few moments of utter bliss like this before darkness overcame their lives with the threat of war :(

BTW I loved Anakin caving to Padme the politician.

Let the woman win the argument.

Smart man [face_mischief]

5. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003
    Wow, such slushy mush, got to love it! You've really made Ani and Padme into the happy couple they should have been. :) I really enjoyed reading this, thanks.

6. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Alright - this is too cute and needs to go up ;)

7. Gina

Jun 3, 2003
    Hi, Kristeh!

Thank you for your comments.

If only everything could have continued this way.

*sniff* I agree.

Anakin really does have a lot of doubts about himself, probably because he did begin life as a slave and then he knows that the Jedi didn't want him initially, either.

I, too, think Anakin has insecurities that he hides.

Thanks again! :)

Dally

Thank you so much! :)

I'm glad you liked the story.

I love seeing the happy moments between them, because they will have more than their fair share of misery.

That's what I love about fan fiction. We can create those special moments.

PadmeLeiaJaina

Hi!

Wow! Thank you! [face_blush]

Let the woman win the argument.

Yep! The sooner Anakin figures out that women are always right, the better off he will be. ;)

And thanks for the up!

PulsarSkate

Thanks for reading. I'm glad you enjoyed it! :D

Wow, such slushy mush, got to love it!

Everybody needs a little mush now and then. :p

8. Padlei

Padlei Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2003
    Very nice. :)

Mush without being corny. Good job! :D

9. Gina

Jun 3, 2003
    Padlei

Thank you for reading and for your comments! I'm glad you enjoyed the story! :)

10. karebear214

karebear214 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2002
    Aw. This was a good distraction from the essay I'm supposed to be writing. It's sweet but real.

11. Gina

Jun 3, 2003
    Thanks, karebear214. :)

Glad the story gave you a break from your essay!

12. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Great story Gina! Its good to read of the good times that these had. It wasn't all bad. I love this couple and am sure they were meant for each other. You write them beautifully.

13. Gina

Jun 3, 2003
    Hi, rhonderoo!

Thanks. :)

I also like to think that they had special moments together before their lives were destroyed. *sniff*

14. Vivid_Scripts

Vivid_Scripts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2004
    very cute and very nicely done. As Kristeh said earlier, you provided an excellent glimpse into Anakin and Padme's marriage. i enjoyed this, and I hope you write some more soon

15. DarthYong789

DarthYong789 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 30, 2003
    I Love the story. I still hate sand :D

16. _across-the-stars_

_across-the-stars_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2003
    Aw, Gina, that was too beautiful. :)

Stories like this always make me think about how sad it really is for Anakin to turn. :_|

I loved the sand and water analogy - it fit perfectly.

Their little argument was interesting, especially Padme's descriptions of her life. She puts on a tough front to everyone, even Anakin, so often that it's nice to see her admit to being emotionally hurt.

Padmé looked out at the crashing waves, afraid to admit that she had been troubled by the same thoughts.

This really grabbed me. You slipped it in there and continued right on to Padme comforting Anakin, but it was there. Again, good to see that she has fears.

Wonderfully written.

17. Jek_Windu

Jek_Windu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 26, 2003
    Great way to use the movie dialouge. Superb use of enviroment and description. In other words...wow, good job; great viggie.

18. STARDOG-D-JEDI

STARDOG-D-JEDI Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 11, 2002
    I'm truly speechless... I've been so caught up in the war and destruction of my own story that this was such a release. And this part! This one part to me said it all. It was so strong

"This is your world," he gestured at their lush surroundings, "and this is mine," he said disgustedly as he scooped up a handful of sand and watched it sift through his fingers.

I could really vision that momment. I could see the water and the sand, the birds flying throughout the trees. And the look on both their faces. I would never call something this beautiful mush. I call it simple poetry and I love it!

Out of sight!!!!

19. Gina

Jun 3, 2003
    Vivid_Scripts

Thank you. :D Glad you enjoyed it!

DarthYong789

LOL!

Thanks. :)

_across-the-stars_

Hi!! Yes, Padme does put up a tough facade. She reminds me a lot of Leia. A young girl with a lot of responsibility thrust upon her who has to keep a brave face.

Stories like this always make me think about how sad it really is for Anakin to turn.

I know! :_| :_| :_|

Thank you so much for your comments. :)

Jek_Windu

Superb use of enviroment and description.

Thank you! :D

I'm glad you liked the story.

Hey, Stardog!

I call it simple poetry and I love it!

Wow! [face_blush] Thank you so much!

20. stacysatrip

stacysatrip Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    This is so very lovely. Sweet, simple, and not too much mush. I like how it continues the idea that Padmé is more mature, wiser if you will, than Anakin. Plus, the sand and water symbolism does really demonstrate the relationship that they have. One is course and rough, one is gentle and soothing, and they can merge to create something beautiful.

It reminds me of that song:

Solid stone is just sand and water,
    Sand and water and a million years gone by...

I hope you will continue writing. Great job!

21. Gina

Jun 3, 2003
    stacysatrip

Thank you! :D

Those song lyrics are so fitting!

22. Kazzy

Kazzy Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 17, 2002
    That was absoluetly lovely! Their interaction was so true. The love between them comes across very well, but so does the fact that it's a secret marriage with all the trouble that goes along with it.

23. Gina

Jun 3, 2003
    Thanks, Kazzy! :)

...so does the fact that it's a secret marriage with all the trouble that goes along with it.

Yes, they definitely started out with the deck stacked against them.

24. MissPadme

MissPadme Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    This is a very sweet story; count me as another person who liked the sand and water analogy. Together they are stronger and something unique.

--MissPadme

25. Gina

Jun 3, 2003
    MissPadme

Thanks for reading and for your comments. :)

I'm glad you liked the water and sand analogy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.