main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Parallel SW Universe

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by JadeSkywalker, Apr 10, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    All things are possible in the Force.... including a new post for this story! :) Hope someone out there still cares....
    Mara raised her lightsaber and locked eyes with Anakin. Their ice blue depths held a maddeningly unconcerned expression, as if he had no regard for his own life. As if he wasn't afraid at all. Anakin smiled at her, and Mara knew that he wasn't; he didn't believe she would cut him down. Or perhaps didn't believe that she could. She adjusted her grip on her saber; Anakin simply watched her, still imperturbable. *You will kill Anakin Skywalker!* Palpatine's voice was louder in her mind now, more insistent. His eyes burned into her soul, ripping through her like force lightning, willing her to act, compelling her to move. Mara wrenched her gaze away, shut her eyes tight against both the Emeperor's burning stare and Anakin's cool serenity. She had the Force, after all; she didn't need to see to fight. Mara took a step forward, towards her enemy.

Towards Palpatine.

*Don't be a fool, Mara Jade,* he hissed. *You can't fight me. You belong to me; you have always been mine. It is your destiny is to be my servant, to fight at Luke Skywalker's side.* His lips curved up into a desiccated smile. *I have foreseen it.*

"Always in motion is the future," Mara retorted, throwing Master Yoda's words at the Sith Lord. She advanced another step, ignoring the pain that lanced through her. There were ways to use the Force to heal wounds, but all of them required time and concentration. She couldn't spare either at the moment. She pressed forward; Palpatine had stopped his barrage of Force lightning, temporarily distracted by this uncharacteristic display of defiance. Mara knew she wouldn't get another chance. "I learned a few things on Dagobah that you neglected to cover in my education. One was that visions are notoriously unreliable. Too many things can change the future. A wistie sneezes on Talus and it rains on Tralus, and all that. So, you see it's entirely possible that you're wrong." She put on a taunting grin, one of the many ways Palpatine had taught her to antagonize an opponent. "In fact, I know you are." Mara had heard Palpatine issue the same command before. In her vision on Dagobah, he'd ordered her to cut down the Jedi who wore her own face. She'd seen a vision of her future, though she hadn't understood it then. She did now.

"What's in there?" she'd asked Yoda then, and Mara heard his answer again now, as clearly as if he wasin the throne room with her. ASaw yourself, you did. What could be. Saw your master, what he would do to you." She'd acted as Palpatine's servant for most of her life, could barely remember a time when she hadn't lived in the Imperial Court. Growing up, Mara had believed wholeheartedly in Palpatine and his New Order. But accepting those beliefs hadn't been her choice; they'd been impressed into her brain by the Emperor himself, because it was useful for him to have an unquestioning servant. Once Mara was free of his bond, she learned how badly she'd been deceived.

Palpatine still had the power to make her suffer. He could easily kill her her, make her die in agony. Mara knew that. She knew he was told the truth when he said the only way he'd let her live was if she submitted to him. But Mara had discovered the warning in her vision. Giving herself back to Palpatine, now that she'd learned the truth, would be an even worse fate. It would be killing the person she'd become. Killing the Jedi she could be. "I'd rather die free than kneel to you again," Mara told the Emperor. "If my death buys Leia the time she needs to get Luke away from you, it 'll be worth the sacrifice."

"Ah, you'd like to die a noble death," Palpatine sneered. "Then allow me to oblige you."

2. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Way to go Mara. Go get him!
    So glad that this has received a little CPR. Can I expect more soon?

3. anya Skywalker

anya Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2000
    WAW! I hadn't seen this storie for so long... And now there are three great new posts... I'm at a loss of words...
    And the weirdest thing is that the first time I read this storie, I was at computer nº2 in the local library... Well,guess where I am rigth now? :D

Keep up the good work both of you! :)

4. anya Skywalker

Jun 14, 2000
    WAW! I hadn't seen this storie for so long... And now there are three great new posts... I'm at a loss of words...
    And the weirdest thing is that the first time I read this storie, I was at computer nº2 in the local library... Well,guess where I am rigth now? :D

Keep up the good work both of you! :)

5. anya Skywalker

Jun 14, 2000
    I didn't even notice that I had posted a double-post! :( (Blame the 401 error messages)

Oh well, in the meantime let me send this one UP! ;)

6. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    <It's been way too long since I posted here . . . but here, finally, is a new one!>

The battle was not going well.

Alliance General Jan Dodonna stood on the bridge of the Victory Star Destroyer Phoenix, surveying the various readouts before him with a deep frown. The Rebels had come to Had Abbadon with a good score of capital ships, ranging in size from relatively tiny corvettes up to this once-mighty Victory-class. But of course, the aging VSDs, relics of the Old Republic, had been replaced by Imperial-class Star Destroyers, and those enormous white battleships were currently cutting through the small Rebel fleet like a vibroblade through unprotected flesh. All the Allied corvettes save two had already been wiped out, and half the frigates were gone. The Dreadnaughts and the Phoenix were still holding up, but that would not last much longer. A glowing readout indicating the strength of the Star Destroyer's shields showed them at half-power and dropping. Glancing at another screen, Dodonna saw that the Alliance's starfighter contingent was faring just as poorly. All the icons for the Y-wings of Bantha Squadron had winked off--*all of them, by the Force!* Most of the Rogues remained alive, at least. Not that a single squad of snubfighters could make much difference against the Imperial fleet.

And as for the objective of this mission, the reason for the Rebel fleet's being here . . . "Still no word from the assault shuttles?" Dodonna asked.

"No, Sir," replied the ship's captain, glancing at the general from his command chair. "We haven't heard anything."

"We can't give up," said Dodonna, cringing at his half-hearted tone. His eyes were drawn to the main forward viewport, where an Imperial Star Destroyer was bearing down on the Phoenix with green turbolasers blazing. A Rebel Dreadnaught had moved into the giant warship's path, focusing all its batteries on the Imp vessel. Dodonna felt a grim sort of fascination as he watched the grossly uneven duel. So many valiant beings were willing to sacrifice themselves in the name of fighting tyranny and injustice, even when their cause appeared utterly hopeless. The general himself had been quite idealistic once, seemingly long ago. Recent events had inexorably changed his outlook. The destruction of the Death Star had infused Dodonna with a feeling that victory truly would happen, but it had been short-lived, for he had seen nothing but disaster since then. Still, as he watched the Dreadnaught in its vain struggle, he thought that perhaps one day the people of the galaxy would manage to overthrow their cruel Emperor. One day . . .

And in a fiery flash, the Dreadnaught was annihilated.

"Let's head for that Star Destroyer," Wedge Antilles ordered the remaining members of Rogue Squadron. He aimed his X-wing toward the Imperial ship, which was currently assaulting the Rebels' Victory-class flag. Wedge knew that if the Phoenix went down, the Alliance fleet was basically done for. Small as his craft was, he would do all he could to prevent the enemy Destroyer from taking out its target.

Biggs, Porkins, Beren Luthione, and the others followed Wedge into the vicinity of the starship duel. They were almost in range--

In the blink of an eye, a group of six capital ships had appeared just a few klicks away. Dreadnaughts--and the newcomers quickly opened fire on the Imperial Star Destroyer!

"Where--where'd they come from?" the stunned voice of Luthione crackled over Wedge's comm system.

"I don't know," replied the young Rebel commander. "But I'm not complaining." There was hope yet!

7. Purple

Purple Jedi Youngling

Sep 8, 2000
  8. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Leia's lightsaber crackled as she blocked another shuddering blow, like an echo of the energy storm that raged around her father and Mara. She could hear the Emperor's depraved laughter and sense Anakin's determination and Mara's growing desperatation, but she dared not take even a moment to see how their battle was progressing. She feel Han's agony growing as Luke forced her step-by step away from his side, but even Han's plight couldn't tear her eyes away from Luke's face. His expression was cold and pitiless, set in durasteel, every bit as unchangeably menancing as the mask their father used to wear. But even Darth Vader's mask never disturbed Leia as much as the dead look in her brother's eyes. Was the Luke she loved gone? Had he been completely subsumed by the Dark Side?

The unnatural strength with which he battled her, a strength born of some twisted connection to the Emperor, argued that it had. Leia didn't accept that possibility; she had seen a spark of hope in Luke's eyes once; for a moment, he had believed that his family loved him. He had wanted it to be true. If Leia looked deep within him, she was sure she could find that spark again. There was still good within her brother's heart. She only had to make him see the truth-- he didn't have to be a part of the darkness.

Luke advanced. Leia raised her saber to parry his next strike. Their blades locked, hissing and sparking as Luke pressed forward and Leia stood her ground. She felt every muscle tense with the effort of resisting her brother's terrible power. She knew that her own strength would be insufficient for this battle. She was but alone in this fight, without the reserves of stamina that Palpatine lent to Luke. Already her knees were beginning to give way. *Use the Force, Leia* Her father's teaching's, Yoda's and Obi-Wan's, echoed through her mind; the Force was for knowledge and defense, not for attack. Leia knew what she had to do. She disengaged her saber, breaking their impasse. "You don't have to do this, Luke," Leia told him, sidestepping his blue blade. "Let go of you anger. You don't have to fight."

Luke's voice was hollow and hopeless as he replied. "You don't know the power of the Dark Side. I must obey my master."

Leia held up her lighsaber for him to see and carefully, deliberately extiguished the blade. His eyes widened as the blade winked out of existence. "I won't fight you," Leia said. She lowered her hands and stood before him unarmed, but curiously unafraid. "And I will not turn to the Dark Side. You'll be forced to kill me."

"If that's your destiny," Luke rasped. He took a step towards her, adjusting her grip on the hilt of his saber. A wild light played about the corners of his eyes.

Still, Leia didn't move. She spread her hands imploringly. "Search your feelings, Luke. You can't do this. I feel the good in you?the conflict."

"There is no conflict," Luke forced the proclamation out through clenched teeth. He shook his head in rhythm with every word. Luke stood in place for a moment, then slowly and determinedly moved a pace closer. "You don't understand the power of the Dark Side," Luke told her as he raised his lightsaber. "If you won't fight, then you will be destroyed."

9. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Very good post. I hope Luke is redeemed. Its so good to see Leia in action.

10. JediVegeta

JediVegeta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    Such a good story! I really enjoyed reading it all last evening...I do have a life...just not yesterday. Well, tracked it down to say LOVE IT! And keep up the good work!

11. anya Skywalker

Jun 14, 2000
    Cliffhanger!!!!! :eek:

Those posts were really good, Raissa and Jeff!
    But ending up with a cliffhanger.... :_|

12. Jeff 42

Sep 14, 1998
    The sextet of newly arrived Dreadnaughts moved to surround the enemy Star Destroyer, pounding the Imperial warship's shields and then its hull plating with their bright crimson turbolasers. Added to the Phoenix's formidable firepower, this barrage was too much for even a vessel of the mightiest class in the galaxy to stand up against. Explosions ripped across the Destroyer's surface. General Jan Dodonna watched as thousands of tiny escape pods were jettisoned from the ship. He smiled grimly; perhaps these Imps would know, at least for a few moments, how it felt to face overwhelming odds and have no choice but to flee in shame. Not that Dodonna harbored any personal animosity toward most of the enemy's soldiers. But still, it was nice to have the tide turned for once--not that this would last. Overall, the Imperial forces still had the upper hand in the battle above Had Abbadon.

A large number of the escape pods would never reach safety. The Imperial Star Destroyer went up in a massive fireball, wiping out quite a few of those fleeing points of light. Fortunately, no Rebel vessels were caught up in the warship's destruction.

"Captain, we're receiving a signal from one of the Dreadnaughts," a Bothan crewer announced.

"Send it through," replied the Phoenix's commanding officer. General Dodonna moved his attention to the bridge's holo-display--and his eyes went wide when a familiar face appeared there.

Dodonna immediately stepped forward and stood next to the captain. Grinning, he addressed the man in the holo. "General Bel Iblis! This is a welcome surprise!"

"General Dodonna!" exclaimed the other, a smile appearing on his face. "It is good to see you as well, but"--and Bel Iblis's expression quickly sobered--"we have no time for pleasantries." The Corellian general turned to address some unseen figure, and Dodonna took the time to glance at a tactical readout. It showed the Dreadnaughts already dispersing amongst the Imperial fleet and picking out targets.

"Quite true," Dodonna replied, once he again had the Corellian's attention. "But I must ask--what persuaded you to come here?" Bel Iblis's split from the Rebellion to form his own private group was well known among Alliance leadership.

"I had heard of your dire straits," explained the Corellian. "When my sources informed me of the Skywalker mission, I deemed it a most worthy cause, quite likely one that would be pivotal in this war. I knew there was a great likelihood of your requiring assistance, and I had the means to give it. But come, let us turn our attention to the task at hand."

Dodonna nodded. The battle was far from won.

Mara Jade was living in a world of pain. Lightning crackled all around her. Her clothing, even her skin in spots, had been singed by the Emperor's vicious attacks. As she moved her lightsaber to parry the incoming bolts, her muscles screamed in protest against the actions. So fatigued! But I must overcome it!

Beside her, Anakin Skywalker seemed to be faring a bit better--but holding his own against the Emperor was taking up all his resources. Mara could not count on him to protect her. She would have to do it herself. Could she, however? Palpatine's assault was unrelenting. How could the old, wrinkled man have such stamina when she was so tired? And sure enough, her defenses slipped. A white-hot bolt hit her square on. Mara spun around, clenching her teeth against the pain as she was sent hurtling back. Then she groaned as her chest and stomach hit the unforgiving surface of the floor. Her lightsaber rolled to a stop two meters away from her, near the feet of Luke Skywalker. Mara forced herself to look up, and saw the fallen Jedi bearing down on his sister.

Dammit, Skywalker, don't do this! Hadn't he been trained by Yoda, as she had? What was wrong with him? The young, fearful countenance of Leia Organa was having no apparent effect on her enraged brother.

As Mara struggled to regain her weapon and her feet, she got a strong sense t

13. Jeff 42

Sep 14, 1998
    <That was weird--the first time I posted it didn't move the thread up.>

14. jedi_master_yoda7

jedi_master_yoda7 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 10, 2000
    This is one of the best fan fics I've read! To think it all changed when the pod was shot down. .

15. anya Skywalker

Jun 14, 2000
    **pretends to wait patiently for more**

That was pretty good, I liked the insight to the battle. Anytime you have more written... :D

16. rockwilder57

rockwilder57 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 19, 2000
    Yeeaahhh! New Post! Well, they're new to me! Seems like months since I've been in here. It's great to come back and find out that my fav fanfic is still goin' strong!

17. Purple

Purple Jedi Youngling

Sep 8, 2000
    To the top!

18. JediVegeta

JediVegeta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    Nice Story. Will you guys ever finish it? I hope so...

19. Jeff 42

Sep 14, 1998
    I hope so too...

20. JWK

JWK Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    WILL Somebody finish this story please.

21. JWK

Jul 18, 2000
    Please Finish

22. Lelila_Vader

Lelila_Vader Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 20, 2001
    Come on, this story is too good not to finish. Somebody post? Pretty please?

23. JWK

Jul 18, 2000
    I'm begining to think it won't be finished.

24. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    I have just finished reading the first two pages and wanted to post on this great story so I could find it again later to read the rest of it. The last couple of comments about absent authors made me a bit nervous though. Hope they finish it!

25. Lelila_Vader

Lelila_Vader Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 20, 2001
    I'm just going to keep on shamelessly upping this in hopes that someone will finish it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.