main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga A Path Of Your Own Choosing - OT AU - L/H, L/M, OB1, Padme, more - On Hiatus

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by RedGold, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    Title: A Path Of Your Own Choosing
    Author(s): RedGold
    Timeframe: OT
    Characters: Luke, Leia, Han, Mara, Padme, Obi-Wan, Wedge, Katarn, Palpatine, Yoda and more
    Genre: AU, Drama, Angst, Romance
    Keywords: Luke, Leia, Han, Mara, Padme, Obi-Wan, Wedge, Katarn, Palpatine, Yoda, dark side, Jedi, Rebel Alliance
    Summary: Anakin Skywalker does not survive his fight with Obi-Wan but the galaxy is still thrown into ordered chaos at the hands of Palpatine. Two young rebel Jedi fight to bring the Emperor down.
    Disclaimer: Yes, I took lines from George Lucas's films which are currently running on the DVD player behind me. Do I think I own StarWars in any way? I only wish, that way I could buy myself a new car and vacation in Hawaii forever.

Dramatis Personae
    will be updated as story progressess, just to keep a few surprises

Chewbacca - First mate of Millennium Falcon
    Wedge Antilles - Rebel Pilot
    Mara Jade - Emperor's Hand
    Wes Janson - Rebel pilot
    Kyle Katarn - Emperor's Hand
    Obi-Wan Kenobi - Jedi Master
    Leia Skywalker - Rebel Spy, Jedi Padawan
    Luke Skywalker - Rebel Pilot, Jedi Padawan
    Padme Skywalker - Rebel Leader
    Han Solo - Captain of Millennium Falcon, Smuggler
    Palpatine - Emperor
    Tarkin - Imperial Governor
    Yoda - Jedi Master, Head of High Council
    Mace Windu - Jedi Master
    Winter - Rebel Spy
    Darth Vrees - Emperor's Hand

Contents

Page 1 - Chapter 1, 2
    Page 2 - Chapter 3
    Page 3 - Chapter 4
    Page 4 - Chapter 5, 6
    Page 5 - Chapter 7
    Page 6 - Chapter 8
    Page 7 - Chapter 9
    Page 8 - Chapter 10, 11
    Page 9 - Chapter 12
    Page 10 - Chapter 13
    Page 11 - Chapter 14
    Page 12 - Chapter 15
    Page 13 - Chapter 16
    Page 14 - Chapter 17
    Page 16 - Chapter 18
    Page 17 - Chapter 19
    Page 18 - Chapter 20
    Page 19 - Chapter 21
    Page 21 - Chapter 22
    Page 22 - Chapter 23
    Page 23 - Chapter 24
    Page 24 - Chapter 25
    Page 25 - Chapter 26
    Page 26 - Chapter 27
    Page 27 - Chapter 28
    Page 29 - Chapter 29
    Page 30 - Chapter 30
    Page 31 - Chapter 31

This story is currently on hiatus.

2. RedGold

Nov 29, 2004
    Chapter 1

So far no one had noticed him. It wasn?t like the average citizen ever looked or bothered to remember his face in the bulletins, but it only took one to notify the Imperials. Emperor Palpatine had placed a bounty on his head, as well as his sister?s and the rest of the Jedi.

He had done his best too keep himself in the shadows since his arrival on Naboo. Taking public transportation had been risky, but long gone where the days of the Jedi and their Starfighters. Once the Jedi had been a force to be reckoned with but now they hid themselves away, too rattled by events of the past.

Palpatine had manipulated a weak and corrupt government, replacing it with his own and declaring himself Emperor. Some thought that this was a good thing, but his rule quickly turned harsh, unyielding, and destructive. Non-humans suffered at his whims, as did anyone who stood in his path.

Palpatine was also a Dark Jedi, a Sith, and he had gained an apprentice to help carry out his domination, the Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker. Skywalker had already defied the Jedi High Council and secretly married a Nabooian Senator, Padme Naberrie Amidala. Anakin easily succumbed to Palpatine?s manipulations.

While Padme was pregnant, Anakin started a quest to purge the galaxy of the Jedi. Many Jedi fell dead as his power in the Dark Side grew. Obi-Wan Kenobi, his former master, was sent to stop him and try to pull him back to the light. They dueled, but their encounter ended in Anakin?s death.

That did not stop Emperor Palpatine. He recruited several younger Jedi to the Sith cause, but they were not nearly as powerful as Anakin Skywalker had been. The battle between the Sith and Jedi raged on for years until the Jedi themselves broke down and scattered. Where once there was thousands of Jedi, now there were a scant hundred.

As the Jedi bowed under the pressures, a new force arose, the Rebel Alliance. Members of the Imperial Senate were secretly leading the defiant group and Padme herself, who had gone into hiding with her twin babies after the death of her husband, was their most visible leader. Over the years their numbers grew into a formable army that the Emperor could no longer ignore. A force that was poised to strike at the very heart of the Dark Lord?s power.

Luke Skywalker was one of these Rebels. He was also a Jedi. The older Jedi might feel content to sit by and debate how best to stop Palpatine, but he would have nothing of that. There was only so long a person could stay on the defensive until he had to become offensive. This wasn?t of the Dark Side, this was the way of things. So too was family.

Luke never knew his father. His mother liked to tell him stories about Anakin as a young man, full of goodness, before the dark times. Luke didn?t need the Force to know that his mother missed his father very much. During their time together, Anakin was always giving Padme a bouquet of flowers that only grew on Naboo. For the past two years, Luke had traveled to Naboo to pick the flowers for his mother?s life-day. The warm look in her eyes was always worth the risk he took traveling away from the safe harbors of the Rebellion.

He made his way down hardly used back alleys to the edge of the city of Theed. There he would find transport out into the countryside where the flowers grew. Passing several deserted industrial buildings he started to get the feeling that he was being watched. For a Jedi, feelings like those could be all too real.

The feeling grew stronger, too strong, so he turned back. A lone figure dressed in the dark cloak of a Sith stood in the middle of the alley.

?Jedi.? The word drifted across the air.

?Hand,? Luke replied as he slowly pulled his lightsaber from its hiding spot under his tunic.

This wasn?t the first time he had run across one of the Emperor?s apprentices, known as the Emperor?s Hands. The hood of his cloak was lowered and Luke couldn?t make out which Hand he was going to face. No matter, he had survived every encounter he had with the Sith, and he planned on survi

3. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    *snatches first reply*

Now that I've read.... :p

Wonderful!!! You work the original in so well.

And you have Wedge.

As you know, I love the beginning.

Curious to know how, exactly, the beginning ties back into the storyline.

Jes

EDIT: And PM/IM me when you update, please...I don't hang out in Saga much anymore.

4. Jedi_BMK

Jedi_BMK Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2004
    I like it already. I like the twins knowing the truth about their father in some way even if it appears there isn't a Vader in this timeline. Of course, you could be trying to fool us, but time will tell. I like the way you've positioned everyone so far. It all seems rather fitting with the familiar characters but in keeping with their new positions. I can't wait to see where you end up going with this.

5. DarthGrunthos

DarthGrunthos Jedi Youngling

Feb 3, 2005
    This is a great AU story. I like the Vaderless timeline, and how things still mirror the original timeline. So I guess they couldn't salvage Anakin's body after the fight with Obi-Wan.

6. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    RedGold: Woah.

:D

Good work. I like this. :cool:

- The Imperial Ewok

7. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    I love seeing Jedi-trained Skywalker twins. It is just like Luke to go through Imperial lines to get his mother flowers. And Leia - you go girl - knowing how to take out a pest.

I think I'd like PMs when you update. Thank you. :)

8. The_Mandalorian_

The_Mandalorian_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 24, 2004
    I dig it Red :)

PM me the update, k?

9. pregnantpadme

pregnantpadme Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 25, 2004
    Fabulous!

I'm always happy when Padme survives!

Add me to that list.

I like the mix of AU with just enough Canon thrown in.

Would that have been young Mara? The hand that caught Luke? And did Anakin really die? Somehow I doubt it...am very curious to se if he makes an appearence.

10. Katarina42

Katarina42 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 10, 2001
    Ooh! Another story? I've been lurking on your other fic (which is excellent, btw) and this one's shaping up to be another really interesting fic ^_^

Kat

11. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Great start Red. Loving the comparisons with the OT but from a completely different perspective.

12. RedGold

Nov 29, 2004
    Jes

Wonderful!!! You work the original in so well.

Thanks! I know you really wanted me to write this one. I did change a few things though so there will be a few surprises for you! :D

And you have Wedge.

Oh, yes, can't live without Wedge... and where there's Wedge... [face_mischief]

Curious to know how, exactly, the beginning ties back into the storyline.

Don't worry, that will be answered soon enough.. unlike the "datacard"... [face_devil]

EDIT: And PM/IM me when you update, please...I don't hang out in Saga much anymore.

Noted.

Jedi BMK

I like it already.

Sweet! :D

[vader] I have you now... [/vader]

I like the twins knowing the truth about their father in some way even if it appears there isn't a Vader in this timeline. Of course, you could be trying to fool us, but time will tell.

Me? Mess with my readers? Never! [face_mischief] [face_devil]

I like the way you've positioned everyone so far. It all seems rather fitting with the familiar characters but in keeping with their new positions. I can't wait to see where you end up going with this.

You'll see a lot more familiar faces and a few new ones... I hope I can keep this up!

DarthGrunthos

This is a great AU story. I like the Vaderless timeline, and how things still mirror the original timeline. So I guess they couldn't salvage Anakin's body after the fight with Obi-Wan.

More like they couldn't salvage Hayden Christiansen's acting in AotC so I killed him off with extreme prejudice. :D :p

Glad you're enjoying!

McEwok

Good work. I like this.

You told me I should try AU... here you go! :)

RebelMom

I love seeing Jedi-trained Skywalker twins. It is just like Luke to go through Imperial lines to get his mother flowers.

He's such a sweety... :)

And Leia - you go girl - knowing how to take out a pest.

You can kinda thank Shelley for that one. I was sitting debating with myself how Leia's character would be and then I remembered some discussions I had with the notorious Mara-Basher. So that sinched it. Leia's going to be a bad-@$$!

I think I'd like PMs when you update. Thank you.

Would be happy to! :)

The_Mandalorian_

I dig it Red

Thanks! btw... might come to you when I get to Boba... you do his psyche better then anyone I know...

PM me the update, k?

Sure thing!

preggers

I'm always happy when Padme survives!

Woot! She lives! And don't worry, she'll have plenty of scenes. :D

Add me to that list.

Right-O!

I like the mix of AU with just enough Canon thrown in.

Thanks! I hope to carry this theme throughout the whole fic.

Would that have been young Mara? The hand that caught Luke?

Who else would it be? [face_mischief] :D :p

And did Anakin really die? Somehow I doubt it...am very curious to se if he makes an appearence.

Well, I'm assuming he's dead... but I reserve the right to change my mind at any moment. :D

Kat

Ooh! Another story? I've been lurking on your other fic (which is excellent, btw)

So you're the one eating all the cookies when my back is turned!!! :D Glad to have you over there!

and this one's shaping up to be another really interesting fic ^_^

Thanks!! :)

Spike2002

Great start Red. Loving the comparisons with the OT but from a completely different perspective.

Thanks! The whole OT will be the OT, only slightly skewed. Should be an interesting ride!

13. SweetPea

SweetPea Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 8, 2004
    Oooo, interesting concept you're working with here. I love the parallels to ANH.

Good show! =D=

14. StarFighter5

StarFighter5 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    [:D] I like this. And Han shot first, otherwise he would die. ;)

15. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Good beginning! I liked the twist on the cantina scene. And it's inevitable that Luke always runs up against a certain Hand, isn't it? :D

16. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    Oh, yes, can't live without Wedge... and where there's Wedge... mischief

There are other Rogues and pilots, right? :p

17. Jedi_BMK

Jedi_BMK Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2004
    [vader] I have you now... [/vader]

That's what you think. :p

Me? Mess with my readers? Never!

o_O Would you like me to go find evidence?

18. Jazz_Skywalker

Jazz_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2002
    Very nice first chapter! I can't wait to see what happens next!

JS

19. LaYa_

LaYa_ Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 21, 2003
    Good start! :D I like this.. I like! :D

20. Mirax-Jade

Mirax-Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2003
    ::waves flag::

WOOOO!

Great start! Looking forward to more...and since we have this ongoing PM war, it seems, I'll take an update PM! :p

21. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    *added to active topic notification*

I'll be reading.......not sure how often I'll respond, but it'll be as much as possible. :D

Great start. And I LOOOOVE that Leia's a Jedi. Wish she could have been trained earlier. ;)

22. GreatOne

GreatOne Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 22, 2003
    Nice start! :D More soon, I hope!

23. RedGold

Nov 29, 2004
    sweetpea - Oooo, interesting concept you're working with here. I love the parallels to ANH.

Thanks! You'll be seeing alot more of them. I pretty much plan to parallel the movies all the way through along with some extra stuff, esp between ANH and ESB. Should be interesting. [face_mischief] :D

StarFighter5 - I like this. And Han shot first, otherwise he would die.

Exactly! I had to put that scene in there correctly, I couldn't not put it in there. :D :p

Han rocks. :cool:

Jedi-2B - Good beginning! I liked the twist on the cantina scene. And it's inevitable that Luke always runs up against a certain Hand, isn't it?

Thanks, and yeah, especially when it's me doing the writing! :D [face_whistling]

Jes - There are other Rogues and pilots, right?

Yes, I will sneak in a few Rogues for you. I promise.

Jedi BMK - Would you like me to go find evidence?

Let me.
    Evidence = All of Emperor's Shadow
    :p

Jazz_Skywalker - Very nice first chapter! I can't wait to see what happens next!

Thanks! :) Glad to have you on board!

LaYa - I like this.. I like!

Gee, I wonder if you like this. :D :p Thanks!

Mirax-Jade - ::waves flag::

That better be the Imperial flag... o_O

Looking forward to more...and since we have this ongoing PM war, it seems, I'll take an update PM!

Wait? We're at war? [face_worried]

Nobody ever tells me anything.

Liz - I'll be reading.......not sure how often I'll respond, but it'll be as much as possible.

No problem. If you lurk for too long I'll just hunt you down on AIM. [face_devil] :p O:)

Great start. And I LOOOOVE that Leia's a Jedi. Wish she could have been trained earlier.

Yeah, having Leia as a Jedi is going to make this really fun, esp when it comes to the L/H stuff. [face_mischief] [face_whistling]

GreatOne - Nice start! More soon, I hope!

Thanks! And more soon indeed. Should post next chapter tonight sometime.

24. Maggy

Maggy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 2, 2004
    I PM updates on request.

count me in then I don?t have to check on my own...
    would I remember it anyway? :p

me already love it Red :D
    like the idea of a timeline without Vader and Padme still being around
    keep up the great work

~Mag~

25. RedGold

Nov 29, 2004
    Mag - me already love it Red
    like the idea of a timeline without Vader and Padme still being around

Cool, thanks Mag! :D And don't worry, I'm not Jes ;).

Chapter 2

?Your uncle won?t be to happy with you selling his speeder.? Winter commented as they approached docking bay ninety-four.

?He was always complaining that he wanted a new one. Now he has a reason to get one.? Leia grinned at the memories. Uncle Owen might have been the harshest, most demanding man she had ever worked for, especially after Grandpa died, but he was still a good man.

?What a piece of junk!?

Leia looked at Wedge then her eyes followed his gaze to one of the oddest-looking vessels she had ever seen. She hadn?t inherited her father?s mechanical nature, so she was going to accept Wedge?s assessment of the saucer shaped ship.

?She'll make point five past light speed.? Captain Solo came striding down the ramp of his ship. ?She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've added some special modifications myself.?

Special modifications probably meant that it was heavily armed beyond legal standards. Wedge threw Leia a wary grimace, but she was feeling nothing but confidence through the Force. ?It?ll be fine.?

?We're a little rushed, so if you'll hurry aboard we'll get out of here.? Solo gestured up the ramp.

?A little rushed?? Leia raised an eyebrow.

?Don?t sweat it, sister.? He flashed a lop-sided grin at her. ?Just don?t want to hang around here any longer then necessary.?

Leia nodded and followed the group up the ramp as Solo walked back under his ship. The inside of the Falcon wasn?t nearly as sketchy as the outside, but it was obviously a lived-in smuggler?s ship. Random tools and pieces of machinery were laid about in a seemingly chaotic manner. She didn?t doubt that Solo or the Wookie could find their way through the junk.

Chewbacca roared and pointed down the corridor to a lounge type area with a dejarik table.

?Lets get the droids settled in.? Leia said and as she strapped in C-3PO an uneasy sensation came over her. Stretching out with the Force, she felt?

?Chewie, get us out of here!? she heard Solo yell as he ran down the corridor, followed by the distinct hissing noise of the ramp shutting.

?That can?t be good,? Wedge mumbled as he slid on his own restraints.

Strapping herself in she felt the ship shudder and then there was the distinctive feeling of taking-off.

?That didn?t feel right.? Winter looked to Wedge.

?He jumped out pretty hard. Emergency style,? the pilot replied.

?There were Stormtroopers in the bay.? Leia took off her restraints now that they were in space. The question was whether the troopers were there for the rebels or for the smugglers. ?I?m going to the cockpit.?

Wedge followed her down the corridor to the cockpit door. They saw Solo and Chewbacca working feverously at the controls.

?Stay sharp,? Han calmly said to his co-pilot. ?There are two more coming in; they're going to try to cut us off.?

?Two more what?? Leia said as she took the seat behind the Wookie, Wedge taking the one behind Solo.

Solo gestured with his head out the left of the view port. ?Imperial cruisers.?

Leia watched as three Imperial cruisers slowly turned to bring their weapons to bear. Suddenly she wasn?t so sure about things.

Luke dodged left and parried away the red saber that swung at him. The woman kicked out at his right leg, smashing her foot against the side of his knee. It was the fourth time that she had done this and his leg almost buckled.

She didn?t fight like the other Hands. They were taunting and teasing with their victims. That was their biggest weakness, a weakness that Luke had learned to exploit. This Hand, however, never spoke a word, simply fought. She even paused in her attack while Luke threw off his backpack which had been hindering him.

More like a solider than a Sith Apprentice, Luke thought as he blocked another swipe aimed at his mid-se

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.