main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A PC forum?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by G_Lucas_8_my_hamster, Dec 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G_Lucas_8_my_hamster

G_Lucas_8_my_hamster Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    No... not a politically correct forum [face_plain] ! A forum for us Star Wars 'geeks' to talk PC stuff- whether it be about buying, upgrading or technical problems- I think a PC forum might be possible food for thought? I know I could jus go to a PC forum and chat there but its easier when ya know people here and lets face it- we are seen as geeks and probably alot of us know our far share about PC's in and out. Why not share this knowledge and help out other JCers if we can and in return possibly get help etc. I know I like help now and again but dont want to register to a forum to ask a question, where as here I could jus go to the PC forum. I had a look and couldnt find one at the JC and if this has been discussed and declined before then this thread can be closed. Jus an idea.

Dagsy edit: Locked at authors request.

2. legacyAccount

legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2012
    from what i've seen, there really isn't enough demand for it to merit it's own forum. there is a thread in YJCC that is the Official Computer Technical Help Thread where you can get some of that discussion.

3. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
  4. Captain_Sarcasm

Captain_Sarcasm Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 1, 2003
    I think it's a good idea. I can see how he would feel more comfortable taking advice from people he's seen around the boards versus people he has never heard of before.

I think there would be demand for it. People like me who don't know jack about computers would benefit from it. I know I'd rather ask questions in a entire forum where you could have several different topics going at once versus asking a question in just one thread and hoping that it doesn't get lost in the shuffle, especially if there were multiple conversations going on at the time you asked the question.

I mean, what could it hurt? If it doesn't work simly delete the forum or put it in the inactive forum list. The Announcements forum is still in the inactive area and that hasn't been posted in since 12/17/02.

Set up a poll in the Census forum to see if people would actually go for it.

5. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I mean, what could it hurt?

It could hurt the JCC by taking even more away from it.

The JCC has always been a place to discuss computer-related issues, and I think it does just fine in that purpose now.

6. G_Lucas_8_my_hamster

Aug 6, 2002
    The reason I feel personally there is no demand for it is that there is no specific forum where these questions could be asked. I would never in a million years go into the above mentioned forum (YJCC) to ask PC questions plus one old thread in a games forum doesnt help cuz i wouldnt really look in there either for PC stuff and if people struggle to find an area to post a question in fear of being told 'this doesnt belong in here, locked etc' then they wont ask and it then appears there is no demand or PC related questions. I personally feel that once a forum got under way more people would use it knowing that they can ask away. eg- the technical problem thread here in comms could be put there cuz people could have some IE setting wrong and thats why they maybe be having problems. thats jus a small example but i could list many. make it... and they will come! :p

7. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Except that, as I said, it would take more out of a forum that can't afford to have more taken from it.

8. G_Lucas_8_my_hamster

Aug 6, 2002
    Except that, as I said, it would take more out of a forum that can't afford to have more taken from it.

Sorry, and I'm not trying to be rude, but if its part of the JC then wouldnt it mean that its not taking anything away really? Or am I taking you up wrong, KW?

EDIT: lol jus noticed the thread below 'Printing Issue'- thats an example of what could go into the new PC forum- how ever trivial it may seem.

9. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Sorry, and I'm not trying to be rude, but if its part of the JC then wouldnt it mean that its not taking anything away really? Or am I taking you up wrong, KW?

It would be taking away from the JCC forum, which has had a great deal removed from it over the past couple of years.

10. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    It would be taking away from the JCC forum, which has had a great deal removed from it over the past couple of years.

Maybe, but threads still move down to page 3 in about 30 minutes cos of all the games and spam threads there!

11. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    That's partly my point.

Computer-related threads provide discussion amongst all the other chat threads.

12. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    It could hurt the JCC by taking even more away from it.

The JCC has always been a place to discuss computer-related issues, and I think it does just fine in that purpose now.

Wouldn't making the Video Games forum be, as you call it, "hurting" the JCC as well? There was no actual need for a forum discussing Video Games in general at Star Wars forums, but it happened and i don't see a problem with it. If we could manage this for so long, why would another forum hurt? Most PC releating threads would be closed in under 30 replies, i can garantee that.

13. legacyAccount

May 22, 2012
    i think that some people want the JC to be a one-stop forum for everything, but that's not it's purpose. the JC exists primarily to talk about star wars. i know that may sound odd coming from someone who doesn't really post in a SW forum, however, it's what drew me here in the first place.

there are plenty of other websites that exist that can answer your questions about PC's - i don't think the JC needs to add yet another non-SW forum to what it already has.

14. G_Lucas_8_my_hamster

Aug 6, 2002
    though i see here as a star wars community- where we are Star Wars fans at the core but can chat about ANYTHING! You can only talk about SW so much. I come here more for the chat than to chat SW but when I feel like chatting SW i head to the film section. Isnt this meant to be like a community? Plus doesnt it help in away to KEEP posters here instead of them having to go to other websites to ask one question?

And to be honest- with Lucas going all digital and hi-tech computer age, wouldnt there maybe be a relative increase in PC and computer awareness among SW fans of all ages because of this?

15. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I'm referring to this forum.

16. G_Lucas_8_my_hamster

Aug 6, 2002
    You think it would hurt that forum??? I never go in there cuz its, no offensive, full of mostly rubbish(IMO) from what I can see. I dont know how a PC forum would hurt that forum? And i would never in a million years think of going in there to ask or look for a PC related question. A PC forum definitely wouldnt hurt it- it would jus give us a specific forum to look and ask specific questions on a PC/Mac related area.

17. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    You think it would hurt that forum???

Certainly. Not in a major way, but then, smaller things add up (and have been adding up for awhile in the JCC's case).

I never go in there cuz its, no offensive, full of mostly rubbish(IMO) from what I can see

Many other people do go into the JCC, though. Computer-related threads can make for good discussion amongst all the chatter.

And i would never in a million years think of going in there to ask or look for a PC related question.

It might interest you to know that there's already an official computer help thread in the JCC, and other computer related threads pop up from time to time.

it would jus give us a specific forum to look and ask specific questions on a PC/Mac related area.

The same could be said of other subjects.

Finally, I don't think there would be much traffic in such a forum. I'm sure there might be an initial surge of activity, but it would slow down into relative quiet.

18. G_Lucas_8_my_hamster

Aug 6, 2002
    Finally, I don't think there would be much traffic in such a forum. I'm sure there might be an initial surge of activity, but it would slow down into relative quiet.

I disagree. IMO it would maybe start slow til people knew about it and then once it was more commonly known it would maybe get a steady flow of use- maybe not super but jus as much as alot of the other lesser used forums in here. Though this is jus my opinion and cant be proved. The only real way is to give it a go- and give it a substantial length of time.

19. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I don't see any reason why questions and discussion can't go into this thread, or others like it.

20. G_Lucas_8_my_hamster

Aug 6, 2002
    I know it could but its not really the best place to find answers. And say if one person posts a question- no one replies (possibly due to not being looked at, an increase of other threads pushing it down quickly or no one knowing the answer) and then another person comes in with a question and its answered- the other question moves back maybe a page and is not read. An INDIVIDUAL thread in a PC forum would be better spotted- say by someone who knows about that specific subject and is browsing the PC forum and gives a quick but helpful answer but wasnt necessarily gonna post in that forum at all but jus did cuz they had knowledge on the individual thread subject. I personally would never look in that thread you gave as an example because it doesnt vary enough or ya have to plough through other posts to maybe see something you want to know- and make sure it hasnt been asked.

21. legacyAccount

May 22, 2012
    i can't see a thread in the new forum having any longevity - people would get their answer, and it would die.

it wouldn't be a discussion forum, it'd be a question-and-answer forum. and i just don't think it's appropriate for the setup of these boards.

22. G_Lucas_8_my_hamster

Aug 6, 2002
    Some- not all- would be short question answers. Questions like 'I'm thinking of buying a graphics card- could some of you suggest some. I usually use my PC for ...etc'- 'Whats your favourite processor?' 'Ethernet or USB2 for your broadband connection and why?' 'I'm thinking of upgrading my present operating system to blah blah, what are the pros and cons and is there a more suitable one?' 'Thinking of buying a new computer- should I go PC or Mac?' 'Help needed with TV tuner cards' etc and yes there will be short answers for questions like 'Something is wrong with my IE- what setting do I need to change etc' or 'My printer is giving me an error message- what am i doing wrong?' 'i cant display a certain web page- whats wrong?' etc.

As you can see not ALL- some- will be short answers. If its productive and active no matter how short or long the threads are then I cant see the problem. Its basically this SW community looking out for each other and not having to go to other web sites for help.

EDIT: Though personally I feel I'm not gonna get much joy out of this suggestion because of who I am.

23. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    I'm with GL8MH on this one. I had a computer problem so started a thread on it to try and get an answer, the thread was promptly locked and I was directed to the Computer Help Thread, linked above. My question got glossed over and I never got an answer. In the JCC, which I post in fairly often, threads get demoted very quickly, and the very nature of the JCC is not to discuss anything, but to chat about this that and the other in a non-formal way. The computer thread is out of place in there and a dedicated board for computers is a good idea, even for general computer chat.

People are interested in computers and it would generate discussion, look at GL8MH examles above. Think about it, people would discuss new software and how to get the best out of it etc.

I'm sorry but poo-pooing this idea as it has been done by some people in this thread is wrong.

24. legacyAccount

May 22, 2012
    if this forum idea gets rejected, it wouldn't be because of what anybody is, but because, as a general rule, non-star wars forums need to ALREADY show large amounts of support BEFORE they're made into their own forum.

both the amphitheater and senate had long histories of large groups of people wanting their creation before they were actually formed - it didn't simply come from a slow-moving thread in communciations.

similar forums have been suggested, such as a sports-related forum, and the decision tends to be that they're unecessary at the JC with the forum structure the way it is. if people want to discuss sports casually, they can do it in YJCC. if they want to discuss it more in-depth, they can go off-board to a board system that is dedicated to sports.

and that's the way i feel about a computer forum. it's not necessary for the JC the way that it is. the JC doesn't need to be a one-stop shop for all your internet needs - if you have a casual question, then you can try your luck at YJCC. however, if you want more in-depth disucssion, going off-board is a better idea.

25. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    I had a computer problem so started a thread on it to try and get an answer, the thread was promptly locked and I was directed to the Computer Help Thread, linked above. My question got glossed over and I never got an answer.

That's the inherent problem with such general official threads in the JCC, but that's an issue for the JCC mods.

But why stop at a PC forum? Why not also have the oft-asked for Sports Forum? Or a Lord of the Rings forum? I guarantee there'd be more demand for a LOTR forum than a PC or Sports forum. Or a forum just to discuss TV shows? Or one for comic books? Or a holiday forum for celebrating? Or a forum for college-aged members and one for teenagers and one for adults? Or a forum for e-dating? Or a forum for homework advice? Or a forum to talk about your job?

The logical thing to do, rather than creating a new forum, would simply be to ask the JCC mods to stop redirecting threads to the "Official Computer Help Thread" so questions can be given more time and attention.

Amazing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.