main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A PC forum?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by G_Lucas_8_my_hamster, Dec 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    The JC can't be everything for everyone. That's what the rest of the internet is for.

2. Vader Fett

Vader Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    It could hurt the JCC by taking even more away from it.

The JCC has always been a place to discuss computer-related issues, and I think it does just fine in that purpose now.

um, we're only allowed to talk about computer problems in ONE thread in jcc, so how would a pc forum be "taking even more away from it"? you're talking about taking away ONE thread.

as for demand, just because people aren't petitioning for it often and expressing a desire for it doesn't mean the forum wouldn't get a lot of traffic/posts.

however, considering the many other types of forums that have been asked for, whether or not they'd generate traffic or not, it's kind of hard to say yes to this one and no to many of the other forums asked for in the past.

here's an idea- don't force people to flood one single thread with pc discussion, and don't stifle pc discussion by restricting the discussion of compewtar type stuff. if someone wants to discuss a software, hardware, etc., LET THEM. there's no reason why everything has to be crammed into ONE thread. and, no, i'm obviously not suggesting that you allow everyone with a compooter problem start a thread about it. but if i want to discuss a particular program beyond operating problems i shouldn't have to take a number in the 'computer help thread'. explain to me what kind of real problems there would be if you (administration) relaxed a little and allowed the existence of more than one thread that could fall under the umbrella of 'computer discussion'. you allow multiple threads about 80's hair bands but not computer stuff. ugh.

3. legacyAccount

legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2012
    i'd be more than welcome to bring up opening up computer problem discussions to more than one thread with the rest of the YJCC mods, as that seems to be a bit of a compromise.

i believe that the computer help thread is more for the kind of threads that would be done as soon as they're answered - no more than 5 posts, probably, rather than actual discussion.,

4. Vader Fett

Mar 18, 1999
    lub you, carmen.

i don't have a problem with "help! my compyutir is eating my dog!" and other technical help type threads being locked once the problem is resolved, or ushering all help topics into one thread for that matter. i just don't like the fact that if i start a thread to discuss firewalls (just one example) i know it will be locked, and there's no reason for it to be locked especially when it isn't intended to be a 'technical help' discussion.

5. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    The JC can't be everything for everyone. That's what the rest of the internet is for.

Read this post (by YodaJeff) again. Then one more time. And finally.... yes you guessed it, again.

I guarentee you that while the JC may have a above average number of computer-savvy people you will be able to find forums that consist entirly of Computer-Savvy People. [H]ard|OCP, SysOp, AnandTech, and more.

If you desperetly wish to discuss an aspect of Computing with your fellow JC-ers that's not a Computer Help Thread that's a General Interest Thread and JC-worthy material.

¤Night

6. Vader Fett

Mar 18, 1999
    If you desperetly wish to discuss an aspect of Computing with your fellow JC-ers that's not a Computer Help Thread that's a General Interest Thread and JC-worthy material

this is currently not allowed in JCC. threads are locked and directed to the computer help thread pretty much by default.

and i wasn't aware that a desire to "discuss an aspect of computing with your fellow JCers" requires desperation.

7. Captain_Sarcasm

Captain_Sarcasm Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 1, 2003
    I don't see what's wrong with at least trying it. That's what I meant by what harm could it do. The "test run" for the forum could be junked if it didn't work out. As many people have pointed out, your question would have a greater chance of getting ingored/passed over if the discussion was relegated to one thread.

Multiple threads [one for each topic] would be the way to go. One thing I can't understand so far is that the Administration seems resistant to changes. Try it out, if it doesn't work get rid of it......simple. It seems like almost every idea that is brought up in Communications is pretty much shot down within the first 10 posts, either by other users or Staff.

I also fail to see how the YJCC would suffer from the removal of one computer help thread and then making an entire forum for it. I personally think the YJCC is the worst forum here at the JC. Most of the responses to topics posted in the YJCC are sarcastic in nature, especially when the author is trying to figure out a serious problem.

8. legacyAccount

May 22, 2012
    I don't see what's wrong with at least trying it.

the problem with just trying it is that it sets a bad prescident. if we try it with this one, then we'd need to try it with every suggestion that is put forth, in order to be consistant.

in my opinion, it's better to make people prove that they have a case for their forum before creating it, rather than creating forums and then seeing if they're worth keeping.

9. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    here's an idea- don't force people to flood one single thread with pc discussion, and don't stifle pc discussion by restricting the discussion of compewtar type stuff. if someone wants to discuss a software, hardware, etc., LET THEM. there's no reason why everything has to be crammed into ONE thread. and, no, i'm obviously not suggesting that you allow everyone with a compooter problem start a thread about it. but if i want to discuss a particular program beyond operating problems i shouldn't have to take a number in the 'computer help thread'. explain to me what kind of real problems there would be if you (administration) relaxed a little and allowed the existence of more than one thread that could fall under the umbrella of 'computer discussion'. you allow multiple threads about 80's hair bands but not computer stuff. ugh.

Your notion that there is only one computer thread allowed simply isnt correct.

We dont redirect general computer discussions into the Help thread. Only Help topics get locked and redirected.

If you want to discuss the latest 64-bit processor, or new versions of some software or whatever, thats *always* allowed.

What isnt allowed is "Hey, I cant load up my IE properly" or other some other help thread. That'll get funnelled into the Official Help thread. And that thread arose ages back when many members, mods and regular members alike, felt that there were getting to be too many of these help threads.

(Sidenote: If you feel that your discussion thread has been incorrectly labelled as a help thread and then locked, you can always PM the mod to discuss the matter. )

And for that reason, I can say that I dont see the need for a PC forum. If you look at the JCC, there simply arent currently many threads that want to discuss aspects of computing outside of getting help. Thats a good indicator that there isnt a big need for a computer specific forum.

10. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    the problem with just trying it is that it sets a bad prescident. if we try it with this one, then we'd need to try it with every suggestion that is put forth, in order to be consistant.

in my opinion, it's better to make people prove that they have a case for their forum before creating it, rather than creating forums and then seeing if they're worth keeping.

Since when does making a PC forum on the INTERNET set a bad prescident? Come on. And since when does it need proving.

If you're not aware, this is the internet, we are on an internet site right now. People have problems with the internet, and sometimes they don't need a sarcastic reply from any moderators as a closing statement. It would be pretty lame to ignore this.

11. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Since when does making a PC forum on the INTERNET set a bad prescident?

Because this isn't a computer or tech site, and there are many other subjects we could give a forum to as well.

People have problems with the internet, and sometimes they don't need a sarcastic reply from any moderators as a closing statement.

People can get help in the JCC.

Sarcastic moderator related posts aren't much of an issue with this, and I point out that your post is loaded with sarcasm.

12. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    If you look at the JCC, there simply arent currently many threads that want to discuss aspects of computing outside of getting help. Thats a good indicator that there isnt a big need for a computer specific forum.

Incorrect. Look at reasons people have put forward for a computer board - they don't want to post in the JCC because, quite frankly its a waste of time. You may get a half decent answer, or more often than not your redirected to the computer help thread. So people don't start threads, not because they're isn't the interest, but that it just isn't worth it in the JCC.

I can't help but feel that this whole discussion is a waste of time because the powers that be don't want it, probably even if we got the support of the entire Community. Do us all a favour and lock this thread now!

13. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Incorrect. Look at reasons people have put forward for a computer board - they don't want to post in the JCC because, quite frankly its a waste of time.

The same could be said of all the various types of forums I listed in my previous post. Should we then have forums for all of those?

You may get a half decent answer, or more often than not your redirected to the computer help thread. So people don't start threads, not because they're isn't the interest, but that it just isn't worth it in the JCC.

Then why not go to an actual PC Help website or call their hotline? Companies set up hotlines and websites chock full of FAQs for just such emergencies.

I can't help but feel that this whole discussion is a waste of time because the powers that be don't want it, probably even if we got the support of the entire Community. Do us all a favour and lock this thread now!

I'd wager a considerable amount of the Community would support an LOTR forum, too, seeing as how it's been suggested a few times before. That doesn't mean it will or should happen.

Amazing.

14. legacyAccount

May 22, 2012
    I did not mean to sound sarcastic at all, and I'm sorry if it came off that way.

Approaching the argument from a different angle: can you give a good reason as to why a PC forum is needed, but the other suggested ones (such as a LOTR forum, a Harry Potter forum, and a sports forum) aren't?

15. G_Lucas_8_my_hamster

G_Lucas_8_my_hamster Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    But why stop at a PC forum? Why not also have the oft-asked for Sports Forum? Or a Lord of the Rings forum? I guarantee there'd be more demand for a LOTR forum than a PC or Sports forum. Or a forum just to discuss TV shows? Or one for comic books? Or a holiday forum for celebrating? Or a forum for college-aged members and one for teenagers and one for adults? Or a forum for e-dating? Or a forum for homework advice? Or a forum to talk about your job?

Its really if you can see the OVERALL picture. PC's are global- nearly everyone has one or is probably within distance of using one. Nearly everything these days are starting to run on PC technology eg cars. A sports forum I can understand the request though seeing as this is mainly a US board it would be dominated with US related sports. Others would have their threads etc but not much interest would be shown to say cricket for example (i could be wrong). The point I'm making is that a PC forum is something that we can ALL relate to. It connects us more than sport because we are all using the technology to access this site. Where as a LOTR would be popular now but die off IMO and it doesnt connect everybody. PC's will forever be changing (ask George ;) )- LOTR will be gone. And the other 'idea's' for forums you gave dont cover as much a broad spectrum as PC/Macs. As i have said- PC technology is global.

This is were, I guess, some one has to make realistic decisions on what to at least try or not. I think I have given good reasons as to why a PC forum stands head and shoulders above most.

And for that reason, I can say that I dont see the need for a PC forum. If you look at the JCC, there simply arent currently many threads that want to discuss aspects of computing outside of getting help. Thats a good indicator that there isnt a big need for a computer specific forum.

This doesnt mean there WONT be regular use of the forum. As I and others have pointed out- many dont know where to post about PC problems- so dont bother making it look like the interest is low. And as said before- the thread in the YJCC is not ideal IMO to get a real idea of demand.

Then why not go to an actual PC Help website or call their hotline? Companies set up hotlines and websites chock full of FAQs for just such emergencies.

Is it so wrong to stay with this site AND get tech help from fellow JCers at a PC forum? Arent we trying to build a community. I cant see how helping each other out is bad. Plus sometimes a specific question is rather hard to find answers to. And then logging/registering to a new site seems pointless when i may find help here.

Approaching the argument from a different angle: can you give a good reason as to why a PC forum is needed, but the other suggested ones (such as a LOTR forum, a Harry Potter forum, and a sports forum) aren't?

I think my reasoning is good. PCs touch into everybodies lives at some point- well us on the web it does. Its global and connects all users here. Thus IMO ,and seeing the bigger picture, giving it more of a need or at least to give it a go.

16. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > As i have said- PC technology is global.

Then why don't you look for a PC forum on a Computer Based website. A bunch of people who hang out at a Computer site will be infinitely more knowledgeable and helpful on computer matters than those who hang out on a Star Wars site.

To get you started...

A google search for PC forums

17. G_Lucas_8_my_hamster

Aug 6, 2002
    Yer kinda missing my point that I have stated a couple of times. Do I have to keep repeating myself?

18. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    And the other 'idea's' for forums you gave dont cover as much a broad spectrum as PC/Macs. As i have said- PC technology is global.

But an LOTR forum or a Harry Potter forum or a Sports forum would all get much more traffic than what would be a mostly question-answer forum. And those three are all global as well. Not as global as computers, in the sense that everyone here uses them (obviously), but just because we all use computers, that doesn't mean we'll all have use for a PC forum.

Is it so wrong to stay with this site AND get tech help from fellow JCers at a PC forum? Arent we trying to build a community.

Again, then why not create all those other forums I suggested? All would help build a community and all are just as feasible, necessary, and potentially useful as a PC forum. So why just create a PC forum?

Besides which, I'd imagine such a forum would ultimately become people asking questions, and a handful of regulars supplying the answers. Is that worth a forum? Moreso than any of the others I've mentioned or that have been proposed over the years?

Amazing.

19. G_Lucas_8_my_hamster

Aug 6, 2002
    But an LOTR forum or a Harry Potter forum or a Sports forum would all get much more traffic

In your opinion.

All would help build a community and all are just as feasible, necessary, and potentially useful as a PC forum

I dont know about necessary or potentially useful but feasible is up for debate.

Besides which, I'd imagine such a forum would ultimately become people asking questions, and a handful of regulars supplying the answers. Is that worth a forum?

These are your opinions as you have stated and not really strong reasons to not even give it a go. I personally believe the need for a PC related forum out weighs the need of the others you stated. But then thats my opinion. Its opinion against opinion at the moment and not really going any where. A compromise could be to make the video games part to cover a bigger spectrum eg 'the video games, pc games and PC/console technical help'.

20. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    > A compromise could be to make the video games part to cover a bigger spectrum eg 'the video games, pc games and PC/console technical help'.

We have technical help threads for individual games, and for PCs. I would have no problem with a PS2 tech help thread and an Xbox tech help thread. There may even be Tech threads on those consoles Online configuration already.

But I would ask that all Q&A's are kept within the one thread for each system.

As linked before, here's the existing PC tech help thread in the Games forum.

That should suffice, no?

21. G_Lucas_8_my_hamster

Aug 6, 2002
    But I would ask that all Q&A's are kept within the one thread for each system.

Though the problem with that is that PC/Mac help is generally alot more varied than Xbox's, PS2's etc. One thread for PC/Macs means that we may as well use the YJCC one.

22. Darth_MacDaddy

Apr 10, 2003
    Besides which, I'd imagine such a forum would ultimately become people asking questions, and a handful of regulars supplying the answers. Is that worth a forum?

Purely opinion without any substance. A PC forum would allow people to discuss the workings of different software. Some time ago I posted a question in my local FanForce about Photoshop software and digital photography, and a large discussion broke out about this particular piece of software and digital photography in general where I and many other learnt alot about it. So theres an example of where discussion would breakout, and it wouldn't just be questions and answers. That was one piece of software, how many other pieces of computer software and hardware are out there.

Perhaps if everyone takes this attitude them maybe we can reduce TheForce.Net forums to an occasion sprinkling of Star Wars chat. You know as well as I do that these boards are a Community and we must try to feed that Community.

And as a side to the arguement that we should have a LOTR board if we have a PC board, look at it this way: LOTR is written and the films have been made, as for the short and medium future they will not change as we know them so conversation on that will dry up as time goes on, but computers and software are constantly being updated, there will always be something new to talk about week after week, month after month, year after year. This is fundamentally a key arguement in favour of a computers board over other such board proposals.

23. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    > Though the problem with that is that PC/Mac help is generally alot more varied than Xbox's, PS2's etc. One thread for PC/Macs means that we may as well use the YJCC one.

Well, the thread isn't that well used, so it makes sense to keep all the PC discussion togther so the thread can be utilised as a reference. It's hard to see if a question has already been answered if it could be in any one of 100 threads.

Why don't you try using the existing PC help thread in the Games forum, and if it suddenly gets far too much traffic to be able to be used properly (ie. questions are getting buried before they're answered) then we can consider partitioning it off (ie. a thread for OS queries, a thread for upgrades, a thread for...).

24. Darth_MacDaddy

Apr 10, 2003
    questions are getting buried before they're answered

This happens when theres little traffic!

25. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    That generally means nobody knows the answer, and perhaps you should re-ask your question an a forum dedicated to the topic at hand, instead of expecting Star Wars fans to know everything about everything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.