main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A PC forum?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by G_Lucas_8_my_hamster, Dec 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G_Lucas_8_my_turkey

G_Lucas_8_my_turkey Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 17, 2003
    Sorry, gotta disagree, JP! the reason, as i have stated, that i think the PC thread is not used much is cuz people arent really aware of it- and they see no where to ask PC questions so dont ask- thus appearing that there is not much interest IMO. and as said by D_M, posts get pushed down- this doesnt mean no one knows the answer- could mean it didnt get enough of a chance to be looked at.

instead of expecting Star Wars fans to know everything about everything.

thats the wrong attitude cuz its not that they know everything- they dont get sometimes a chance to read it if its in one thread plus yer telling me with all the posters here that questions would not be answered? its not that they dont know- they dont see it. i'm not saying we as a whole know everything but i'd figure a good majority can be answered.

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    So, start posting in the existing PC help thread(s), and see what happens. Post it in both the Games Forum one and the YJCC one.

You'll probably find your questions will be answered.

3. G_Lucas_8_my_turkey

Nov 17, 2003
    They maybe answered, they maybe not but thats not a fair way of gauging the traffic or demand a forum like this might make. I know quite abit about PC's but never even knew there were PC help threads- like I pressume alot of people might not unless they go into that forum. I dont use the YJCC and havent been in the Video games forum in ages cuz I stopped playing console games. So I dont think its a fair way to gauge a traffic flow.

4. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Purely opinion without any substance. A PC forum would allow people to discuss the workings of different software.

Which you follow up with a single example. How bout this? The Official Computer Help Thread in the JCC has slightly more than 600 posts in over a year of activity. That's less than 2 posts per day. Not much activity, certainly not enough to warrant a whole forum.

Perhaps if everyone takes this attitude them maybe we can reduce TheForce.Net forums to an occasion sprinkling of Star Wars chat. You know as well as I do that these boards are a Community and we must try to feed that Community.

And that's exactly what the JCC is for. One more time, ask the JCC mods to allow for more than just the Official Computer Help Thread (Dagsy says they already do). Creating a new forum will not build or feed the Community. It will create a subcommunity within the JC, much like there's a subcommunity in the Games Forum, the Lit Forum, the 3NS Forum, the Welcome Forum, and so forth.

And as a side to the arguement that we should have a LOTR board if we have a PC board, look at it this way: LOTR is written and the films have been made, as for the short and medium future they will not change as we know them so conversation on that will dry up as time goes on, but computers and software are constantly being updated, there will always be something new to talk about week after week, month after month, year after year.

But new people read LOTR and see the movies every day, so in that sense it will grow. The Classic Trilogy forum still gets decent traffic 20 years after ROTJ, and conversation hasn't dried up (I know, I know, Star Wars Forum, but given the number of LOTR/SW crossover fans, I'm sure an LOTR forum would get decent traffic, at least up until Episode III, since there are always comparisons being made between the PT and the LOTR movies). And your argument of there always being something new to talk about applies to a Sports Forum, a TV Forum, a Comics Forum, a Movie Forum, and age-restricted forums as well. But there's no sense in any of those happening.

I know quite abit about PC's but never even knew there were PC help threads- like I pressume alot of people might not unless they go into that forum.

So your argument is that since people might not go into the JCC much, then they won't know there's a Computer Help Thread? Why would they be any more likely to know there's an entire such forum? If someone doesn't go into the JCC and, thus, doesn't know there's a thread for Harry Potter, or LOTR, or baseball, or wrestling, does that mean individual forums should be set up for each? Wouldn't it make more sense for these people to explore a bit more, rather than creating forums because they don't like the JCC?

Amazing.

5. G_Lucas_8_my_turkey

Nov 17, 2003
    The Official Computer Help Thread in the JCC has slightly more than 600 posts in over a year of activity. That's less than 2 posts per day. Not much activity, certainly not enough to warrant a whole forum.

I have addressed this my last post and before so not gonna repeat myself.

But new people read LOTR and see the movies every day, so in that sense it will grow. The Classic Trilogy forum still gets decent traffic 20 years after ROTJ, and conversation hasn't dried up

People are still talking about star wars 20 years on cuz of the prequels- we all know that. And Lucasfilm will continue to keep star wars about with the proposed new releases of more cartoons. I dont think the LOTR will carry on in such a magnitude- maybe even forgotten after awhile. Yes, there will still be the books and films but out of sight out of mind i think will apply to LOTR after awhile. I maybe wrong- time will tell. I do think the nicley timed films at Christmas has partly to do with its success at the mo.

Why would they be any more likely to know there's an entire such forum?

Well, a single forum PC specific would be easier to spot or find. When I have had a PC question I have looked through the different areas and jus found a games section. Looked in it and seen nothing about PCs, so left. And I wasnt gonna post in it to be told 'this doesnt go here etc'. I think if people can find it they will go to it.

6. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Well, with all due respect, there are established places here to discuss the things you wish to discuss.

In case you haven't figured this from the preceding discussion I will lay it out clearly for you;

there will not be a "Computer" forum created

so your options are to start using the existing threads / forums for your discussion or to find another site that better caters to your needs.

7. G_Lucas_8_my_turkey

Nov 17, 2003
    And so much for 'communication' and 'discussion'. Even when I won and argued every point thrown at me I knew I would be treated like this. And other people's opinions ignored too! The sooner there are some changes with some of the people who help 'mod' this place and who are more open minded then the better. Some people like you Jp replied earlier in this thread and it was obvious you hadnt really read what I had posted. Merry Christmas!!!

8. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Even when I won and argued every point thrown at me I knew I would be treated like this. And other people's opinions ignored too! The sooner there are some changes with some of the people who help 'mod' this place and who are more open minded then the better.

You 'won'? No you didnt. You put your point forward, and it was countered numerous times.

And then you simply dismissed peoples problems. People show reason to believe that there wouldnt be demand (as evidenced by the lack of PC discussion threads in the JCC), and you simply said 'no, that wont be the case'. No good reasons, simply a 'if you build it, they will come'.

That isnt how to 'win' a discussion. Thats how to make a crappy Kevin Costner movie.

9. G_Lucas_8_my_turkey

Nov 17, 2003
    You 'won'? No you didnt. You put your point forward, and it was countered numerous times.

Rubbish.

'no, that wont be the case'

Rubbish again- never did!

I even suggested a compromise which was washed over. Open your blinkers!

And this can be locked now as its pointless talking to closed minds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.