main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends A Personal Affair--Jag/Kyrn March Challenge

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by SakuraTsukikage, Mar 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SakuraTsukikage

SakuraTsukikage Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2005
    Title: A Personal Affair
    Author: SakuraTsukikage
    Timeframe: during NJO and post-NJO
    Characters: Jagged Fel, Shawnkyr Nuruodo, brief appearance by Zekk and mentions of Jaina
    Genre: friendship mushiness and whatever else you want to make of it
    Keywords: Jag, Shawnkyr, clawcraft, hello, goodbye
    Summary: Jag Fel is concerned about Shawnkyr's odd behavior and confronts her about it.
    Notes: Yay! Finally I've gotten at least one challenge entry done! Enjoy, everyone.

A Personal Affair

Shawnkyr had been acting oddly lately, and Jag Fel was worried.

He sighed and twisted the hydrospanner to tighten a bolt on his clawcraft probably a little harder than necessary. Jag knew his clawcraft didn?t really need the tune-up he was giving it in the first place. At the moment, however, that fact was immaterial to him. Jag needed a way to work out stress and tension he had no other outlet for, and so the clawcraft had had to do. Had to, Jag thought grimly, or he might very well go insane, and then where would they all be?

He ran his fingers over the newly tightened seam and was barely able to feel it. Jag sighed unhappily, not at all pleased by the success of his tune-ups.

Now what would he do?

He set the hydrospanner down next to the neat line of his other tools and stared blankly up at the familiar underside of his clawcraft.

It bothered him that he couldn?t figure out what was going on. He?d been Shawnkyr?s best friend for years. Why couldn?t she come to him with whatever was bothering her? Was he doing something wrong? He knew she disapproved of his decision to stay in Known Space, and of his growing relationship with Jaina Solo. Was that it? But she?d never had difficulty expressing her opinions to him before, even when those opinions were extremely unflattering. Why would she hesitate now?

Jag hated it when he didn?t understand things.

It wasn?t that he was inexperienced with women. Not at all; he?d had his share of flings and romances back home, though not nearly as many as any of his brothers, even little Cem. Jag had thought he understood females just about as well as he understood most other topics.

Apparently, he?d been mistaken in that respect. Jag now found himself completely baffled, not only by Shawnkyr?s behavior, but by Jaina?s as well. He sighed again and closed his eyes for a moment. Apparently women didn?t make as much sense as clawcraft did.

Jag wondered why that surprised him so much, and then groaned, pushing himself out from underneath the fighter. He picked up a rag and was wiping the grease off his hands when he heard voices from the other side of the hangar. He didn?t recognize them and was about to straighten up and head back to his quarters when a very familiar voice reached his ears.

Shawnkyr. Jag did not straighten up. This was his chance, a chance to corner her and find out what was bothering her, when she?d be avoiding him all week. He wasn?t going to blow it by giving himself away too soon. Instead, he crouched down beside the body of his clawcraft, straining to make out what was being said. Dishonest of him, perhaps, but Jag had reached a point where he was willing to utilize unusual tactics.

She was talking to someone else, a man, and the other voice sounded vaguely familiar. Vaguely familiar, but he couldn?t quite place it. Jag?s hand tightened against the surface of the clawcraft where he rested it. Was that what was going on? Was she following his example and hooking up with some Rebel man at the same time he began a relationship with a Rebel?

He had no idea why hot rage, stinging and painful, surged through him at the thought.

Jag took a deep breath and forced his hands to unclench, unsettled by the depth of the hurt and anger that had swept over him. Shawnkyr had a right to do whatever she wanted when it came to men. He was certainly not her keeper. But he couldn?t help but think that he had not met any man so far in Known Space that he would consider to be good enough for her.

She would only get hurt, he

2. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    I LOVE it!!!

And I haven't even read it yet...but I'll be back with more declarations of love!

3. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    Ooh I LOVE IT!!! His relationship with Shawnkyr is adorable...loved him asking for a hug and her telling him he can have one whenever he wants! So cute! Love how he has to fight a sloppy grin! ehhehehehehee

Excellent work my dear!!!

4. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Wow.

More when I feel more coherent.

EDIT: What can I say, except that I loved the whole of it. These characters are new to me, and your viggies are opening up the Beyond world, so to speak. Loved your language, and your marvelous descriptions, and oh, all the angst of it. Is the break-up profic, or is it your own? :D Pardon the ignorance.

?May I do something unforgivably rash and human?? he asked.

[face_love]

Wonderful.

5. emeraldshadow

emeraldshadow Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 7, 2005
    That was a wonderful way to end my evening. Very cute.:D =D=

6. TheCrazyRodian

TheCrazyRodian Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2004
    :D

Oh yes. Jag and Shawnkyr forever. [face_love]

7. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    Oooo, you explored Shawnkyr's disappearance from profic and then Jag's return to Csilla! I love it, that was wonderful

The tension between them until he asks if he can hug her - and here I thought he'd come right out and do it *laughs*

A wonderful, wonderful challenge entry!

8. Flowerlady

Flowerlady Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2005
    What can I say? I loved it, loved it....=D=

I agree with the TheCrazyRodian Jag and Shawnkyr forever.....

FL @};-

9. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    As promised, I'm back for a more Shagerific review[face_batting]

Whatever else being the key words here...[face_love]

I like how this 'fic starts out - Jag trying to fix his clawcraft because he can't quite fix his life - so in character for those pilots! [face_laugh]

What I also really liked was how even though he was having issues with one Jaina Solo, he's still worried about Kyrn's good opinion. We get this sense in profic (and a lot of fanfic, sadly), that once he arrived on Hapes in DJ, he kind of disregarded Shawnkyr. But he wouldn't - he obviously cared about her opinion deeply, and you did a great job in showing it here.

I loved that Kyrn was talking to Zekk!! It's almost depressing how much those two have in common (and I'm so happy you also used the term wingman both literally and figuratively!). Great juxtaposition of their characters - that Zekk can never leave because he's tied down by his duties, but Kyrn can - and they both want to flee from what is essentially the same thing.

And of course, I'm dying to know what Zekk and Kyrn are talking about...[face_batting]

Jag's jealousy is quite telling and how he resents Zekk just a little bit more now. Interesting that while he is having a relationship with a Rebel, he doesn't think any of them are good enough for Shawnkyr. Hmm, Jag...I think you need to examine these thoughts just a little bit more...

Also in character was how she retreated into formality when uncomfortable or unhappy with Jag. Just the simple switch from "Jag" to "Jagged" says a lot. And how she stiffened at his touch...

With Jag and Kyrn, so much revolves on what they don't say say or do as much as what they do say or do. For them, silence and understatement is a form of communication that is as effective as all of Jaina's shouting, screeching, glaring, etc.

OH MY!!! :_| That was unbelievably sad...and so real and in canon that I'm just depressed even further. The fact that Kyrn would state it like this, and the fact that Jag is so fundamentally honest that he won't even say a fib though he knows it would alleviate Kyrn's own pain...just WOW, Sakura.

Again, another big fat WOW. I absolutely adore the use of the term "wingman" because it has so many connotations that are very underexplored. In fact, in profic, once Jag becomes Jaina's wingman, he no longer flies with Kyrn. He stays in Twin Suns and leaves her with Vanguard...wingman indeed...[face_frustrated]

I also loved that her observations are so astute. On the surface, she's talking about the physical, but her words cut so much deeper. It's what I've always liked about her, and the Chiss. They truly are skilled with words, are masters at understatedness...and you show that beautifully with Kyrn.

About their reunion - it's a nice parallel to their parting. Just wonderful, really. Their questions and formalities are on the surface of reservoir of deep feeling. It's spare, and I love that. His asking permission to hug her was [face_love], and far more effec

10. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    This was as beautiful and clever as everything else I've read by you! Superb work! Your portrayal of these characters was flawless! Bravo! =D=

11. SakuraTsukikage

SakuraTsukikage Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2005
    To Inara: Wow! Are you sure? ;)

To padawan lunetta: [face_blush] Why, thank you. I wanted it to be cute . . . . :p. Thanks! [:D]

To Princess_Arulmozhi: I was so surprised and flattered when I saw you reading this! I've never seen you around in Beyond before [:D]! [face_blush] [face_blush] Thanks so much! Thanks so so much, it's great to hear that from someone who writes such marvelous language, descriptions, and angst herself. ;) And I'm so flattered that you've starting reading in Beyond through my vignettes! [face_blush] [face_blush] As for the break-up, well, Shawnkyr is Jag's wingman . . . and then she gets assigned to another squadron and he hooks up with Jaina Solo and she disappears from profic ;). So both yes and no. Thank you so much!

To emeraldshadow: Thanks so much! :D I'll be back to Jaina/Zekk, soon, too!

To TheCrazyRodian: :D [:D] I totally agree! ;)

To Jade_Max: Thanks! I like to fill in holes. [face_laugh] Thanks so much! I'm loving seeing you in the Jag and Shawnie realm! [:D]

To Flowerlady: Aww, thanks. [face_blush] And I have to agree with you there ;).

To Inara: I love you! [face_love] [:D] And I love long reviews so much!!!

Whatever else being the key words here...

Indeed . . . . ;)
    Glad you thought the clawcraft fixing was in character! When I thought of it, it sounded like Jag to me. And I thought that Jag and Kyrn have been friends for an awfully long time. His caring about her opinion isn't going to go away just like that :D.

I loved that Kyrn was talking to Zekk!! It's almost depressing how much those two have in common (and I'm so happy you also used the term wingman both literally and figuratively!). Great juxtaposition of their characters - that Zekk can never leave because he's tied down by his duties, but Kyrn can - and they both want to flee from what is essentially the same thing.

I freely admit that that part was inspired by your own totally awesome, wonderful fic on the subject ;) [face_love]. I totally agree how much they have in common. I think that it's possible that they might become friends under perhaps different circumstances.

And of course, I'm dying to know what Zekk and Kyrn are talking about...

I was actually thinking about doing a companion vignette that dealt with just that topic ;). Do I gather that that would be well received? [face_batting]

Hmm, Jag...I think you need to examine these thoughts just a little bit more...

[face_laugh] Exactly what I was getting at!

With Jag and Kyrn, so much revolves on what they don't say say or do as much as what they do say or do. For them, silence and understatement is a form of communication that is as effective as all of Jaina's shouting, screeching, glaring, etc.

It's so true, and that's why they're so fun for me to write :).

That was unbelievably sad...and so real and in canon that I'm just depressed even further. The fact that Kyrn would state it like this, and the fact that Jag is so fundamentally honest that he won't even say a fib though he knows it would alleviate Kyrn's own pain...just WOW, Sakura.

It made me sad to write it :( . . . but I'm glad you had that reaction because that's exactly what I was going for! And thanks! [face_blush] Hearing that something was canon from you just makes me that much more happy, like I've really accomplished something [:D].

Again, another big fat WOW. I absolutely adore the use of the term "wingman" because it has so many connotations that are very underexplored. In fact, in profic, once Jag becomes Jaina's wingman, he no longer flies with Kyrn. He stays in Twin Suns and leaves her with Vanguard...wingman indeed...

Thanks so much again! And I agree; I love the term "wingman" and I first picked up the idea of using

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.