main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A personal plea for sanity in The Senate Floor Forum.

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Darth Mischievous, Oct 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    You needn't lecture me on the origins of this forum, MR44. I recall well where it came from, and exactly why it separated itself from the JCC. I also remember the terribly long process of petitioning for the Senate as its own entity.

Should anyone else's memory need refreshing, I point you to the Senate Rules and Regs...(Highlights are mine)
    B. Topics

1. The Senate Floor is designed to allow mature discussion of more mature topics. These topics can include, but are not limited to, politics, religion, and other social issues. If you have any doubts about whether a thread is appropriate, PM a moderator and they will help you. Inappropriate threads may be locked and/or deleted by a moderator.

2. Although this board is devoted to mature topics, some topics still require moderator approval before being posted. These include sexual and related topics. PM a moderator for approval of any such threads.

3. We invite new threads, but they should be different from current ones. Redundant threads will be redirected and locked. Similarly, sometimes a topic becomes too inflammatory and will be locked for a time. In such cases, do not start a new thread on the same topic without moderator approval. Avoid making multiple threads in a short period of time. If you have any questions as to why a thread was locked, PM the moderator who locked it.

4. Some threads will be designed to allow discussion of a topic while others will be designed to debate a topic. Remember that not everything needs to be an argument between two sides. Sometimes a thread can be there to simply promote understanding between two positions, not decide who is right or wrong.

5. This is not a social board. If you wish to socialize with your fellow users, go to the JCC or participate in the official Senate Floor Social Thread.

6. While this is a Star Wars message board, the Senate Floor is not the place for Star Wars discussion. You can use it as an example within a thread, but no threads should be centered on Star Wars material.

7. The Senate Floor is for the discussion of serious issues. To this end, "What if...?" threads are not allowed as a rule. Any exceptions to this rule must be approved by a moderator before the thread is posted.

But when the mods are in favor of going against the Rules and Regs, then what? Why not just eliminate the senate, and all go back to JCC?

2. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    I'd hardly consider a light-hearted reply a "lecture," but to each their own.

It's already been established that the thread doesn't represent a new trend, or any kind of push to establish "JCC East."

Sometimes blowing off steam is just blowing off steam.. Better to see it in something harmless like that thread, than letting it boil over.

3. Lord_Darth_Vader

Lord_Darth_Vader Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 13, 2001
    "Sometimes blowing off steam is just blowing off steam.. Better to see it in something harmless like that thread, than letting it boil over."

I totally agree Mr44

4. Cheveyo

Oct 29, 2001
    It's already been established that the thread doesn't represent a new trend, or any kind of push to establish "JCC East."

You fail to deny that this thread defies the rules of the senate.

If this is what you want--and it sounds like it is, since you're defending it--then I have my answer.

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    There is no sanity here if we are allowing a post like "Which candidate's daughters are hotter" to even exist in the Senate. As I noted in that thread, such a topic is belongs in the idle ramblings of the JCC, not here. If the mods are truly allowing this topic to exist here, then what's the purpose of the Senate? It was cut away from the JCC to discuss serious topics, not innane polls about who they'd rather "do".

Let me just endorse that sentiment 100%.

Like Che, I see the thread as an example of what I call the "FOXNewsification" of the Senate. Serious, intelligent debate has been replaced by common denominator parlour tricks, basically.

I was going to comment on how I saw the Bush Administation's foreign policy as being an abberation from the standard liberal internationalist/conservative realist dichotomy, but I thought it didn't really fit the current mood of the Senate.

I'm sorry to sound so blunt, but the majority of users here have really lowered the tone of this board. Which is sad, and frustrating.

Would I be out of line asking them to "Please **** off?"

[face_mischief]

I agree.

Not all topics in the Senate have to be serious. We've had our in-jokes and "let loose" threads before.

Sorry, my learned friend, I must disagree in this instance. That kind of banal, inane thread topic is JCC material; the Senate is described as being, and I quote, a place to "discuss and debate important social, political, and cultural issues with your fellow Jedi Council members."

Now, it may be my quaint antipodean sentimentality seeping through here, but I hardly find rating the attractiveness of the daughters of Messers Bush and Kerry to be important. I'd call it trivial, or actually, trite.

It's also precisely the kind of thing I'd say is ruining this form. Basically, we should create a "Senate Light" to handle the bulk of this cretinous posting, not destroy the Senate for the sake of a few.

Sometimes blowing off steam is just blowing off steam.. Better to see it in something harmless like that thread, than letting it boil over.

I thought this was a mature board..? [face_mischief]

Seriously, it is contrary to everything the Senate is supposed to be.

Unlike Red-Seven, I supported this being an elitist board. Regular users used to not bother with the Senate because this was a tough board. We wouldn't tolerate unsubstantiated or spurious claims; we maintained a fairly high standard and it discouraged people from posting unless they were 100% sure of themselves and the reasons for their opinion.

Openly, honestly, I want that back. I don't want ******* lowbrow threads on which one of the daughters is hotter, I want threads that challenge and inspire people.

I stand firmly with Cheveyo on this matter.

E_S

6. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
    Of course we all realize that there aren't silly threads here as a general rule...

However, the tension was so high in the forum pre-election that I think it lightened the mood a little bit and brought it down to earth.

I don't think it's any kind of trend, nor do I think the members of the Senate Floor Forum want any such trends.

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    But if for any reason members felt like they needed to let off steam, we have the entire JCC for that exact purpose. No need to drag the Senate down to mediocrity in the process, and ruin all the hard work people like you and me put in DM.

E_S

8. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
    I completely understand your intent to raise the level of discourse around here, E_S.

:)

That's why I posted this thread here, as a plea to remind people to remain centered and reasonable in discussions.

9. Qui-Rune

Qui-Rune Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    However, the tension was so high in the forum pre-election that I think it lightened the mood a little bit and brought it down to earth.

I don't think it's any kind of trend, nor do I think the members of the Senate Floor Forum want any such trends.

Exactly. That was the entire reason why I started that "Which daughters are hotter" thread. And it did lighten the mood and we began to see a rebirth in civilty around here, which was drastically needed.

And no...NO one wants that to be a trend. I am confident that the MODS will remain in control of that.

However, I will agree with Ender and Cheveyo in that we want the Senate to remain a pillar of civil and intellectual discussion. That is the reason I joined this Community over 2 years ago.

Respect and Dignity to All.

10. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    Openly, honestly, I want that back. I don't want ******* lowbrow threads on which one of the daughters is hotter, I want threads that challenge and inspire people.

Really? So who here participated in any of the KOTOR discussions that seemed to pop up everywhere..?

Now that I think of it, didn't KOTOR end up having its own thread?

Who here contributed to the "insane world leader" thread while it was around?

I certainly remeber specific posts about fembot bodyguards, and desert trists with shoe-loving world leaders.

Did THOSE threads bring down the quality of the ENTTIRE Senate, or where they temporary distractions when discussions about the ICC, or genocide became too heavy?

I know R7 even sent a couple of crazy internationalist debators some PM's to tone it down at times, but he still allowed the threads to remain open.

There is nothing wrong with wanting a forum that is "elite," or waxing nostalgic for that olde-tyme Senate magic.

However, one has to remember that "intelligent" doesn't just mean "what I agree with..."

Maybe for kicks, we should check up on our old friend Qaddafi....But I wouldn't want to bring everyone down to my level..... [face_mischief]

11. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    Thus far I have noticed there is a far greater trend in the JCC and Senate for Kerry supporters attacking Bush and his supporters after this election than Bush supporters gloating about his win. It's sad really.

12. Qui-Rune

May 18, 2002
    Thus far I have noticed there is a far greater trend in the JCC and Senate for Kerry supporters attacking Bush and his supporters after this election than Bush supporters gloating about his win. It's sad really.

Not sad.
    Just...

Different.
    ;)

13. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Vezner, my take is that the "plea for sanity" paid off. I think things are going more smoothly than I would have expected, and there is a noticeable tone of reconcilliation on the Senate Floor.

14. Qui-Rune

May 18, 2002
    Vezner, my take is that the "plea for sanity" paid off. I think things are going more smoothly than I would have expected, and there is a noticeable tone of reconcilliation on the Senate Floor.

I think it was my "Whose Hotter..." thread.
    ;)

15. Mr44

May 21, 2002

I completely agree.

We may have to change the offical Senate motto to:

"The Senate Floor CAN BE a hug fest.."

16. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001

Don't make me ban you!

:p

Kimball Kinnison

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Maybe for kicks, we should check up on our old friend Qaddafi....But I wouldn't want to bring everyone down to my level.....

I'm sorry, but there was a difference between taking the **** out of a silly thread on Libya, started by none other than the Gatherer, and rating the hottness of daughters.

Satire is one thing, and if it's political it works well. However, "men's magazine" style threads & polls are another animal altogether.

The KOTOR stuff, as I recall, was in the social thread too. :p

[face_plain]

[face_plain]

[face_plain]

:p

E_S

18. Cheveyo

Oct 29, 2001

Are you perhaps suggesting a "constitutional convention" of sorts for the Senate?

Should we redefine this place?

19. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    Wow...are these some of the same guys who defended Clinton during the Lewinski deal and said that Conservatives needs to lighten up?

20. Cheveyo

Oct 29, 2001
    Wow...are these some of the same guys who defended Clinton during the Lewinski deal and said that Conservatives needs to lighten up?

Hmm, let's see.

1) Acts of falacio

vs.

2) hundreds of thousands killed,
    civil rights restricted,
    secular law abandoned...

Which is worth complaining about?

If you say #1, then you clearly have not experienced it.

21. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    Chev said...) hundreds of thousands killed,
    civil rights restricted,
    secular law abandoned...

Hmmmm...These weren't world concerns as Clinton was having a 21 year-old child(that's what they call our 21 year old troops)perform oral sex on him in the Oval Office?

Me thinks your priorities are a little out of wack. If goofing off here is unacceptable, then it is absolutely inexcusable in the Oval Office.

My point, it is done and over with. Relax.

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    No; actually, your point is a non sequitir.

E_S

23. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    But the real question is:

who is hotter* J-Rod, or Ender-Sai?

*=bonus points for any accents that may be involved.

24. BenduHopkins

BenduHopkins Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2004

Maybe that's because Bush is a bad president. The tendency to gloat diminishes when there's nothing to brag about.

25. Bubba_the_Genius

Bubba_the_Genius Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2002
    Or we're being gracious in our victory. We can gloat if you really want us to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.