main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST A Perspective on How Rumours Play Out

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by AL, Oct 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bzdek

Bzdek Jedi Padawan

Nov 2, 2012
    I like the idea of a medic. But, I would think it would be more likely for Luke's wife to have died off screen prior to the events of Ep VII. All of the protagonists thus far have lost or been without a mother. And it would solve the problem of introducing a new character that we have to believe is now "part of the family" without getting to know them. It would be very easy to say that Luke married, had kids, and then his wife died either by some illness or under mysterious circumstances that will somehow be tracked back to the big bad for the trilogy.

Immortiss likes this.
  2. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    Padme's dying of a broken heart, while corny in itself....is one thing.

While giving birth...having children to take care of.....is another thing and it's terrible....if you know how these things work......and I do as well.... there's millions of ways where she could have die with dignity and in a fairytale kind of way.

The one in ROTS is awful.....from a writer point of view....a father point of view....a moviegoer point of view......and a fairytale point of view

I don't know one person who found this scene emotionnally satisfying.......and who did not laugh afterward.....mood killer !

If you accept that...go......I never will...

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  3. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    So, Arndt's script called for the focus to be on the Solo kids, a large number of Force Ghosts, and Luke to not show up until the end of the movie. :oops: [face_hypnotized]

JJ didn't like it and wanted to pull it back towards what Lucas said the ST would be about in his interviews from ~1980-1994, shifting the tone, theme, and focus. JJ won =D=

If that is the case, then I'm a huge fan of the move (I was hoping Kasdan was going to write it from before the Arndt announcement). The ST should follow the relationship between Luke and his child just like the OT followed Luke and his father and the PT followed Anakin and his mother and lack of father. Showing Luke being a good father and husband will be a good emphasis on the differences between Anakin and Luke.

and, IMHO, Luke should have children. While he can (and probably did) train the Solo kids, there is much more emotionality between a father and his own children.

*edit*
    anyone else liking the Lucas-Kasdan-JJ vibe and think it's like the Lucas-Kasdan-Kirshner/Marquand setup from the OT? I do and I think it bodes well for the ST.

4. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    Well, you also have daddy issues in Super 8 and in NuTrek (Spock and Kirk both) and of course Peter and Walter in Fringe.

Add to that Ian McDermid's remark that Star Wars could be retitled : "Fathers and Sons" ...

Regarding Padme, I agree that "losing her will to live was weak (being a parent myself) and it would have been way better, if Palpatine would have been shown force choking her during birth (Vader managed it in ESB with Ozzel from another ship, why not the Emperor across the galaxy) that way his smile during the dreaded NOOOOOOOO would have been chilling...

Immortiss and Dra--- like this.
  5. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Ah ok. Haven't seen Super 8 and despite owning the Blu-ray only bothered to watch NuTrek once. I remember something about Kirk's dad in the beginning, but nothing beyond that.

And yeah that's true of Star Wars so far, but there's at least a decent chance it will be a daughter this time around anyway.

6. I_Love_Scotch

I_Love_Scotch Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 2, 2013
    It was wrong because there was absolutely no chemistry between Natalie and Hayden. No one was actually convinced that she would've lost her will to live because she loved Anakin so much. Maybe that's the story but no one was convinced. It was awful.

Dra--- likes this.
  7. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Where was it said that Luke didn't show up until the end?

8. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    If this is true and it was simply a change of character focus from Solo to Skywalker, then I'm totally fine with that. Star Wars is a generational story, so it would make perfect sense for the focus to be on Luke and his children.

9. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    It was mentioned here:

10. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    We need to stop saying this though just because in the western tradition the last name is passed on from the father in reality Leia's kids are just as much Anakin's grandchildren as Luke's and that's the important thing they are all Skywalkers, if Leia changed her name to Solo it doesn't matter. In fact how do we know Han and Leia ever got married or Leia didn't hook up with someone else more respectable later on so they might not even be Han's kids?

11. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Technically Leia's name was Organa and not Skywalker, but to me it isn't out of the realm of possibility that she could have ended up embracing her heritage and changed it.

Immortiss likes this.
  12. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Arndt's rumored take sounds cool to me. I like the idea of Luke as a semi-mysterious wanderer whom the younger generation has to track down when a terrible new threat appears. Could make for an amazing final section of the film when he finally reappears. Also, introducing him at the end would probably mean we don't see another Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon situation where the older hero bites the dust by the end of the first act, which is a good thing in my book.

13. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Ah, thank you. Can I just ask, and this is a general question, so not aimed at you: How many people round here "know things"? There seems to be quite a few.

14. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Well you know I feel the same way when Luke shows absolutely no loss for his surrogate mother and father. He demonstrates more of a sense of loss over Ben, who he has known for what... half a day? It's awful... from a writer point of view... a nephew point of view. Or Leia, who shows no sense of loss at the death of her father and the destruction of her entire planet... It's awful... from a writer point of view... from a daughter point of view. However, I try and view the Star Wars films with a sense of consistency rather than pick and choose. ;)

Immortiss, Dra--- and Mystery_Roach like this.
  15. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Anyone who can apply common sense and then word things cleverly are our resident "knowers". I can know something, too!

The version of the script that you will never ever have access to had no space travel. It was meant to be more of a 'personal' story, so Arndt thought it would be wise to metaphorically and literally "ground" the characters. The rewrites put space travel back in. Now, when you see ships flying, you'll know I was insightful all along.

Immortiss, Dra--- and eht13 like this.
  16. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Corax78 has been covering LFL, for nine years, he's a reporter for Roqoodepot.com with connections to LFL, Del Rey, Dark Horse, and Hasbro
    you can read cory's articles, and interviews, you can trust what he has to say

17. TheTwinSuns

TheTwinSuns Jedi Master star 3

Apr 26, 2013
    AL I have a question for you. Do you know of any rumors that are absolutely not true? Thanks! :)

18. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    But everybody already knows this. Just because some people can appreciate, and place a value on, the narrative lineage of Anakin to Luke to Luke's potential children, should in no way fool anybody into believing this somehow disparages or discounts the importance of Leia and Han's kids. Nobody has claimed otherwise.

19. AL

AL Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 22, 1998
    I've generally heard bits and pieces (nothing major), and I've shared with you all the one piece of majorish news to which I have been privy. To be honest, the storyline that rezpen is implying and/or stating was exactly the sort of detail I would be vary of at this point of production. An agent would know that the Solo kids used to be the focus of the story, but that this has changed. But at this stage of the game, that would pretty much be the only thing he/she would know because that is the only info that a casting director would have shared with them.

ChildOfWinds, Dra---, Ryus and 5 others like this.
  20. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Thanks for sharing what you know Al. :)

21. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    Owen & Beru and Aldereaan are plot devices......Padme is one of the BIG 4 of the prequels.......anyway...agree to disagree again ;)

Pro Scoundrel and Diggs like this.
  22. TheTwinSuns

TheTwinSuns Jedi Master star 3

Apr 26, 2013
    Ahh interesting. Do you happen to know when the shift of focus occurred?

23. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I don't know how many people "are in the know." I do know that I'm not one of them.

It's not about the NAME, but about the LINEAGE. Anakin to Luke to Luke's child(ren) makes sense. Anakin to Luke to Luke's sister's kids......doesn't. Also, the story isn't just about Anakin, it's just as much about Luke, and why it needs to be his offspring

24. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Introducing Luke early doesn't mean he'll be killed off. It means his relationship with the hero is thrust into the foreground

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I would say this thread has veered very much off topic, but I am not certain it ever actually had a topic. Everything being discussed in here is being discussed elsewhere. Let's keep it there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.