main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Petition For The Game ModStars

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Darth_Weirdo, Jun 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Seriously, the whole <i>I agree with the administration on this issue</i> is about me.

2. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    mrslush...
    "right. ok genghis..."

You made the statement, "The fact is that this message board is really not here for informational purposes. It here for entertainment" which was flat out incorrect.

If by "this message board," you meant this message board - the Comms board, then you are incorrect.

But, even if you didn't mean this specific board, and you were speaking generally, then you are also incorrect for the reasons I gave you earlier.

You purported an erroneous statement to be a fact that is in fact not a fact. And that's a fact. That was my problem with your statement.

If you said that a few forums here like JCC and EUC are purely for entertainment as you later suggested, then I would've agreed with you. But, that's not what you said.

DarthBane420...
    "Are there really gangs of people looking to flame anyone who wants to be a mod, or is this from something that happened to you personally? I ask this because I have never seen it. Perhaps I am naive."

Yes, you're naive. See the Helpy Helper thread to see this in action. Now, mind you, this was at the "end" of that whole Helpy Helper deal, and you missed all of the baiting, flaming, etc. of the individual(s) in question. However, you should be aware that this has indeed happened, and happened as recently as last month here in Comms.

3. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    "The AC, Sapient before and after he became a mod, YodaJeff (I think) in the AOTC forum before he became a mod. I think all of them at one point had threads in here that, in a roundabout way, called them suck ups and told them they were doing bad things."

Yep. You seemed to hit the nail on the head. And being an ACer when I was promoted really helped me score some points with certain people. ;)

"and like it or not, it is the administrations job to not only keep this place safe from flaming and trolls, but also to make sure it stays entertaining, fun and enjoyable."

I disagree. Moderators are the only people who really can make a difference when it comes to flaming and trolling, so I agree with that part. However, in my opinion, it's not my responsibility to make sure this place stays entertaining, fun, or enjoyable for everyone. Regular members can do things to help make the site entertaining, fun, or enjoyable. If people aren't having fun, how is that a moderator's fault? Shouldn't the member accept some responsibility for that too? As long as the boards are free of flaming, trolling, and other "bad stuff", I'd say that a moderator is doing an acceptable job.

Sure, mods can run games or try to make the place enjoyable. However, it shouldn't be considered our "job" to do so. What is enjoyable or fun for one person may be a total bore to someone else. I hate to make analogies, but mods are somewhat similar to assistants on the playground during recess at an elementary school. We try to make the playground (the boards we moderate) an environment that is free of bullying and other childish behavior (free of flames and other garbage). However, the students (the members) have to accept some responsibility if they aren't able to enjoy themselves. We're here to help with any problems that come up, we're not here to entertain you.

Oh, and I agree with Dingo too.

4. mrslush50

mrslush50 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2003
    I think maybe I'm being misunderstood here. (It's my fault mind you.)

I am not claiming that it is the mods job to entertain the regular users. I'm saying that it is the administrations job to make sure that the boards stay entertaining.

There is a big difference.

And YodaJeff. I agree completley with your last paragraph. Your analagy is a good one. But what you forget is that, while the kids may be able to play games, talk to each other or play on the swing set, they can not install new playground equipment. They can't expand the size of the playground, or increase the number of basketballs available for use. The kids are limited in what they can do, by what the playground monitors allow and provide.

5. keokiswahine

keokiswahine Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 4, 2000
    I'm saying that it is the administrations job to make sure that the boards stay entertaining.

I thought this is a message board, not Entertainment Tonight??? ?[face_plain] ?[face_plain] ?[face_plain]

6. Crimson

Crimson Jedi Master star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    Entertainment Tonight is neither entertaining, or on at night.

7. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    The fact is that this message board is really not here for informational purposes. It here for entertainment. And since the mods/admins are in charge, it's there job to make sure that this place stays entertaining.

Nope, this messageboard is here so that people can interact and talk about a little thing called Star Wars. Whether this is for informational or entertainment purposes is irrelevant. The 'administration' is here to ensure that everything is running smoothly and that people can talk about Star Wars. If people wish to be entertained, then it is up to them to take part in doing so. Those moderators that are involved in games aren't doing so because they are moderators and it is their jobs to provide everyone else with something distracting. They are doing it because as a member of these forums, said moderator is wanting to be entertained, and is getting that entertainment through helping others have some fun.

All we would need the mods to do is put forth questions. Possible they could judge the responses, as they do in half the other games in the YJCC. No one is asking the mods to do the entire workload, that's false and meritless.

If I read everything correctly, what is involved in the game is that people are presented with questions/situations, and then they are judged on their answers to such things. So if the mods have to come up with the questions, and then judge them, how are they not the ones doing the work for the game?

If people can't act appropriately on the boards, they won't if this game exists or not. Do you have an example of where this has been tried and failed? If this did happen what would be so hard to shut down the game? Are there really gangs of people looking to flame anyone who wants to be a mod, or is this from something that happened to you personally? I ask this because I have never seen it. Perhaps I am naive.
    The AOE, a 3SA group, goes out of our way to help the mods and promote the TOS, I have to this date never received any flak for this.
    I am sorry to do this to you, but on this point PPOR.

Genghis gave a link to an idea that did end up with people being attacked for wanting to help the mods. A lot of said posts were correctly removed, and thus can't be used as proof.

As to if this has ever happended to me personally, you bet your bottom dollar it has. But those posts are long gone, as are said posters.

If you have never received anything because of being part of whatever group, lucky you. Ask those people who have been a part of the 20 or so groups that preceded and are the models for the group that you joined if they've ever been as lucky. You'll find that at least half the members, especially of the larger groups, have.

Also, just because you can't see something happening right now, does that mean it won't/doesn't? As an analogy: just because you haven't been struck by lightning, are you going to walk around in a thunderstorm with a lightning rod?

The trick is there is no right answear, it's the quality of comedy of the response that would win the game.

So the fact that a person has found a 'correct' way to do something isn't rewarded, just how many laughs it receives is the point of the game? Then why not make it an "open-mic" type game with a lead in situation that would provide a broader range of movement, rather than making a mockery of something that people try hard to do.

For someone against this you seem to know exactly what the mods would do and how many incorrect answears there would be??? How can you be sure, oh wait, now your thinking like a mod, your gettiing the game.

Nope, there is no now in there. I was thinking like a mod long before you even heard of this site. And there is no 'game' at all to thinking like this, whether it be here on the net, or in real life.

No one in there right mind wants to be a mod, it's a thankless job, no cash, and you are seen as police by the users. This is not something people run around trying to be unle

8. -Lord-Vader-

-Lord-Vader- Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2003
    ok, even though I signed the petition that won't do anything, I know this game wont fly. As you can see, the mods have been saying that they don't want this game. That means no.

simple.

[face_plain]

9. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    Did it occur to you that perhaps the moderators are busy enough with other things, and don't want to or don't have time to run another game? I don't think there's anyone stopping you from posting a single thread for this game in the JCC where you can ask what people would do in certain situations. If it's not meant to be taken seriously, then there's no reason to give out a title or VIPship for the winner.

As a moderator, it's nice to have a break every once and a while when you're not running a game or other competition, and when you can try to relax and post as a normal member.

10. -Lord-Vader-

Jan 15, 2003
    As a moderator , it's nice to have a break every once and a while when you're not running a game or other competition, and when you can try to relax and post as a normal member.

Geese, you gotta know who you are Jeff. You are a manager, not a moderator..... [face_plain]

You silly goose.

11. mrslush50

Feb 22, 2003
    Did it occur to you that perhaps the moderators are busy enough with other things, and don't want to or don't have time to run another game?

actually yes.

like I've said several times before, I know this game won't happen. At least not to the extent that I would like it to. Because for that to happen a mod would have to step in and take over. That's a whole lot of work and I certainly don't expect any mod(s) to actually do it. (I know I wouldn't.) It would be nice though.

12. Kyp

Kyp Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    Geese, you gotta know who you are Jeff. You are a manager, not a moderator.....

Managers moderate too, don't they?

13. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Here's an idea instead of current mods how about a few ex mods as the judges?

14. mrslush50

Feb 22, 2003
    that's a good idea.

i volunteer DDH and DA. ;)

15. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Cool.

//Game On!

I WIN!!

//Game Over

Give me colors now.

16. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    DDH, how about red VIP colors and a custom "Manager Emeritus" title? [face_mischief]

17. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Awesome!!

I rule!!

18. mrslush50

Feb 22, 2003
    Well now that "ModStars" has been played, judged and won (by DDH) I suppose someone can lock this thread now.

congrats DDH!

19. Darth_Weirdo

Darth_Weirdo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2002
    This game idea may be dead and burried, but I shall come back with a new and greater idea for a game! I'll be back!

I just like being dramatic with my closures. 8-}

20. -Lord-Vader-

Jan 15, 2003
  21. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    It's too bad... I liked the idea of this game, it is relevant to our times, and a little silly. I think it needed to be clarrified and streamlined into a workable product before it got pitched... Rules on voting and challenges... I'm tired of the trivia games... I've got 26 years of star wars trivia under my belt, and it has become so self refferential that I am tired of utilising it. A New Way to Profess Our Love in these forums is always appreciated... I'm tired of trying ot recall the particular call sign on "Mouse Droid B in the sixth chapter of Truce at Bakura" Surely We can use our 21st century resources to a more entertaining and productive game than that...?

22. Darth_Weirdo

Darth_Weirdo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2002
    LottDodd's got a point in this. There are just too many Trivia Games. They are interesting and funny, but we need something new. It may not be this ModStars game or the Election Game, but still we need something new.

23. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    I don't think there's anyone stopping you from posting a single thread for this game in the JCC where you can ask what people would do in certain situations. If it's not meant to be taken seriously, then there's no reason to give out a title or VIPship for the winner.

Why don't we just do that? If it is as succesful as we think it will be, the mods will most likely make it into a proper game later on down the track.
    We would just need a celebrity mod/ex-mod to judge.

24. mrslush50

Feb 22, 2003
    "...the mods will most likely make it into a proper game later on down the track."

no they wouldn't.

25. padawanskywalker

padawanskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2003
    So where is the thread?Can someone post a link to it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.