main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends A Phoenix from the Ashes - L/M, H/L COMPLETED! New Fic Announcement

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by LadyPadme, Jun 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002
    Disclaimer: All characters in the Star Wars universe are the sole property of George Lucas. Just borrowing from his creations for entertainment purposes; i.e. George owns the playground and I'm just playing in the sandbox.

Summary: Set 4 months after the events of Jade Prophecy, our heroes desperately defend the New Republic against a ruthless tyrant bent on conquering the galaxy.

Author's Note: This story is the third in my trilogy after In Love and War from the Classic Board, and The Jade Prophecy from the Beyond the Saga Board. The summary to Jade Prophecy is posted below, and immediately following this will be the first post for A Phoenix from the Ashes, which takes place four months after the events of Jade Prophecy. I must warn you that I plan to take this story on an unusual path, unlike anything I've ever written before. As such, the build up may take a while, so please be patient, because the PAIN and ANGST I have planned for BOTH L/M and H/L should be a lot of fun [face_devil] .

For the first few weeks, posting may be a bit dicey, but eventually, I hope to settle into Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday posts.

Again, before I begin, I must thank my superlative beta reader, the lovely, talented Gabri_Jade @};-, my evil twin (the REAL Mara Jade! [face_whistling] ), and must confess here and now that while Han and Leia are my first love, I never wrote a line about Mara Jade without wondering, "What would Gabri think of this?" :)

2. LadyPadme

Sep 26, 2002
    Summary for The Jade Prophecy:

Three years after the fall of the Empire, Luke Skywalker now headed a hidden Jedi Academy, and also performed undercover missions on behalf of the New Republic government. However, he set one other mission for himself, which was to find the elusive Mara Jade.

At the same time, Mara Jade, whose life had been ruined in the collapse of the Empire, had also been searching for Luke Skywalker. Her goal, to kill Skywalker and avenge the Emperor?s death. To this end, she took a piloting position for a Galactic mogul named Toth Tauro to earn enough money to sustain a prolonged search for the elusive Jedi.

Meanwhile, Leia Organa Solo and Han Solo had been the happily married parents of three young children: Rydor, and twins Jaina and Jacen, and Leia was pregnant with their fourth. Leia now worked under President Mon Mothma, while Han frequently ran reconnaissance missions on behalf of the New Republic. Due to the harsh demands of her work, Leia?s health was undermined, and she miscarried her baby. The miscarriage sent Leia into a spiraling depression, which drove her apart from Han.

In a series of missions in which Luke investigated Galactic criminal enterprises, he inadvertently broke up or exposed several lucrative criminal enterprises all run by Toth Tauro. Infuriated, Tauro ordered his prime assassin team to capture Luke, with the intent of making the Jedi Master train his own Force-sensitive daughter, Jendralyria. By stroke of luck, Mara was piloting the ship with the crew that captured Luke.

On their way back to Tauro?s stronghold on Elyroden, Mara unwittingly discovered a superweapon that Tauro had hidden on his yacht. This weapon, the NCA was capable of planetary destruction far greater than the Death Star. Unbeknownst to most of the galaxy, Tauro was the de facto head of the Imperial Remnant, with ambitions to conquer the New Republic and to become the new Emperor. Tauro learned that Mara had stumbled onto his secret, and to silence her, he ordered her execution. In a bizarre twist, Luke learned of this plot and he helped Mara escape from Tauro?s yacht in the life-shuttle.

The shuttle, heavily damaged during the escape attempt, crash-landed on the deserted planet of Cyronia. For two months, Luke and Mara were forced into a truce for mutual protection. Over time, however, they overcame their initial differences to become friends.

Finally, after two months of their disappearance, Leia and Han were able to rescue the stranded pair. They returned to Coruscant just when Tauro declared himself openly and began attacking border systems between the Imperial Remnant and the New Republic.

Mara?s appearance on Coruscant caused an uproar in the Senate; initially, the Senate had wanted to arrest her for her prior ?war crimes? committed on behalf of Emperor Palpatine. However, Luke and Leia were able to broker a deal for Mara?s freedom in exchange for her knowledge of Palpatine?s secrets, which the New Republic Intelligence felt would aid the NR in its war effort against Tauro. As part of the deal, Leia had to take custody of Mara, which included bringing Mara to live in her home. This deal proved to be the last straw for Han Solo, whose estrangement from Leia had only grown worse in the past several months since the loss of their baby. He quarreled with Leia and left their home, spending the night wandering the streets of lower Coruscant, and nearly committing adultery, but came to his senses at the last moment.

The Senate began authorizing troop deployment, and Han received his commission to lead the Third Fleet; Luke also received his commission to command Rogue Squadron again. With Han relieved and Luke resigned, they deployed to the war front, leaving Leia and Mara to keep vigil in their absence.

And now, here it is...

...drumroll please [face_dancing] ...

the start of [i]A Phoenix from the Ashes[/i] ....

3. LadyPadme

Sep 26, 2002
    A Phoenix From the Ashes

Chapter One

For nearly fifty years Hinat Sylin was custodian of the offices of the Galactic Senate. He started as a teenager when it was still the Senate of the Old Republic; he continued his custodial services, overseeing the cleaning droids and maintenance staff through nearly three decades of Imperialism, and now for the past five years he had swept the offices for the New Republic. He was slight man?a human from Kuat who preferred his freedom on Coruscant to being a telbun on his native planet. Despite having had regular access to the most sensitive rooms in the government of the Galaxy, his work had seemed of such little importance that the fact that he?d done it under three successive administrations had gone unnoticed by his employers. He had no political leanings and cared not who wrote his paycheck as long as he was paid regularly. He had seen so much during the years of his long tenure that very little surprised him and he had no illusions of sentient nature, but he was utterly trustworthy regarding the secrets of the Senate.

He went through the Senate offices that morning as usual just before dawn broke over the horizon to oversee the job the cleaning droids had done overnight. Normally the droids worked without flaw, but on occasion, when a droid was in need of maintenance, Sylin would notice telltale signs of streaks and dust, and need to rectify the situation before the Senate underlings and aides arrived to start the day.

That morning the work was perfectly done, and Sylin nodded in satisfaction as he inspected the corridors and the main Senate chambers. He nodded in greeting to the cleaning droids as he passed them, noting through the huge transparisteel windows that the first rays of sunlight were starting to peak over the tops of the buildings in the east. He had been on duty since ten the night before and he looked forward to going down to the Senate cantina to get a cup of caf before he headed home to sleep.

He made a last pass toward the head offices of the Senate in the northern end of the hallway to check the President?s office. As he headed down the hallway, he glanced briefly toward the offices of the President?s aides, Leia Organa Solo and Borsk Fey?lya. He chuckled a little as he thought of the arguments he?d overheard between them occasionally when they were working late. Better than any holodrama he?d ever seen. That Organa Solo could split durasteel with her tongue, and Fey?lya was as treacherous as the day was long. Over the past four months, as the war between the New Republic and Toth Tauro?s Imperial Remnant continued, the arguments had become more acrimonious and bitter. But Sylin cared nothing for these issues. If the New Republic won, he?d continue to sweep the offices for them. And if Toth Tauro won, he?d clean for Tauro. In either case, he was sure he?d continue this way until he retired, which, if he had his way, would be when he died. He paused to check the two offices facing each other across the hallway like vigilant enemies. They were spotless. Wonderful.

As he neared the President?s office, though, some vestige of primitive fear made him pause outside the door. The massive and ornately adorned doors were closed as usual, and no sounds came from the inside office?but somehow, Sylin sensed that something was very wrong.

Wrong or not, Sylin reflected that he had to do his duty and check the office. Typing in his code, he opened the door to Mon Mothma?s office. The room was dark, and there was a smell that at first he couldn?t identify. It was sort of raw and rank and raised the very hairs on Sylin?s back. It was the smell of rank terror. He sniffed a little in confusion, and headed toward the back of the office to draw the blinds.

Engrossed as he was in drawing the blinds, he never heard the blaster shot, nor felt the pain as it tore through him. The last thing Hinat Sylin saw was the first rays of sunlight as they shone over the towers of Coruscant and reflected into the office of

4. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Nice, Jieh.

PLEASE be nice to Luke and Mara. PLEASE?!?!?! *puppy dog face* Happily ever afters aren't as cliched as they used to be, I swear.

Man, I'm a glutton for punishment, coming in here. *is here on a trial basis* I'm watching you, Jieh. ;)

[face_love] Emmi

5. JediStarMoonstruck

JediStarMoonstruck Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2002
    Gee what a cheery first post. :p

*finishes up her polishing of the Death Star and Sun Crusher fleet*

[face_devil] I'm ready for the Phoenix. [face_devil]

6. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I was more of a lurker in your first two stories, but that first post really gripped me. Assassinating Mon Mothma? Wow...I wasn't expecting that... Nice way to start the story! You definitely have me hooked on this one. :)

7. J_M_Bulldog

J_M_Bulldog Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    Early post? No I don't mind an early post ;) :p

:eek: You killed Mon Mothma. Whoa! And I feel sorry for the that janitor, too. :(

*eagerly awaiting what happens next*

*glances over to her right* Saber, what are you doing? No, I don't think you attacking Toth is what LadyPadme had in mind. Stay, boy! :D :p *whispers* You'll get a shot, I'm sure, don't worry * sees LP looking at her and [face_whistling] innocently* O:) :p

8. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    I never complain about early posts. I've got a busy day tomorrow myself. My son is graduating. *RM jumps for joy*
    Anyways, I think I can handle something different. You have a way of writing that keeps me hanging around.

And she's off. :)

9. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    It has begun! I'm so glad to see this up, Jieh. :D I love this first post. It's not often that I get pulled so completely into an OC's travails so quickly, but even in his brief appearance Sylin was a fascinating and fully realized character. And of course we all know the havoc you can wreak with Mon Mothma's death - or do we? :eek: I can't wait until we get to the really angsty part. [face_devil]

And as usual, you're far too kind. [face_blush] [:D]

*sends cheesecake and roses* @};- @};- @};-

10. TiaRaye

TiaRaye Jedi Master star 1

Jun 3, 2003
    Hooray for the return of LP!!!

GReat first chapter. Af course I'm hooked already.

We missed you, LP!

Tia

11. LaYa_

LaYa_ Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 21, 2003
    Wonderful chapter, LP :)

It's great to see you coming back with another story (that I'm sure, will be great!) :)

I'm looking forward for more :)

12. GreatOne

GreatOne Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 22, 2003
    Very interesting. Now I suppose Leia will be asked to be the President, which will only make matters WORSE between Han and Leia! :mad: - Great first chapter! :D

13. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    Whoa, Mon Mothma's dead. Assasinated.

Yay! It's here! *cheers*

Great start LadyPadme!

:Targeter:

14. JediArwen

JediArwen Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 12, 2002
    Yes! :) It already begun! [face_dancing] And with an early post! =D= You are spoiling us my lady...

As such, the build up may take a while, so please be patient, because the PAIN and ANGST I have planned for BOTH L/M and H/L should be a lot of fun :eek:
    You??? You couldn't do such a thing!!! Never!!! :rolleyes:
    Go ahead my lady! You are just so good in angst! After all you left us so many months with Han/Leia's relationship in such bad terms... What could be worse? Only just not be planning killing any of them four... :mad: Are you? :mad: :mad:
    Just know, that I am going to have an open transatlantic air ticket as I might need to take care of a certain lawyer if he'll do something so nasty as killing farmboy... So I might left it open a little more... :p [face_laugh]

To the post:
    :eek: You killed Mon Mothma! :eek:
    Never mind! I never liked her a lot, after all... ;)
    Who will be the new president? Leia or that filthy creature, Fey?lya? I can't wait to find out.

I liked the character you create, Hinat Sylin! There are so many people like him, people living near us, working near us...

A huge plate with baklavas for every one to celebrate! @};-
    Just not for me! I am on a diet... :(

15. Jayden112233

Jayden112233 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 21, 2003
    Nice to have you back LP. Great beginning...can't wait for Sunday.

16. StarFighter5

StarFighter5 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    For TJP I didn't post because I didn't discover it until it was over. How I missed it is beyond me. It was wonderful. Now that Phoenix is starting I will post. Anyway back to the topic. I like how this starts out with the janitor. You don't see many authors bother with little details like the cleaning people in the senate hall. Hmmm? I wonder who killed Mon Mothma.

17. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Yeah, it's started! Now I'm really looking forward to the next post, because I'm sure that I read this one before. It was a preview teaser, right?

I'm with Emmi and the others on this -- No killing the big Four! Angst I can usually handle, if there's hope in the end.

18. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    I say fair is fair - if H/L still have angst, then L/M will need some as well. Plus, it may bring Leia and Mara closer as friends. And maybe help in the training as well.

I remember reading this post as a teaser. It was soo good! Glad to see this has started! :D

I wish I had known you started this last night! I would have replied last night! :)

19. calgary

calgary Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 3, 2004
    Already I don't like the fact that Mon Mothma has hit the dust, but I awaiting each chapter with suspense.

20. kayladie97

kayladie97 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    Yay, it has begun!! I am so looking forward to seeing what agonies you can put L/M and H/L through, although they're going to have to be pretty intense to top what you've done so far.

So Mon Mothma has been murdered...interesting. Wonder how this will affect the war? And are they going to make Leia her replacement? That would be bad for H/L but better for the rest of the galaxy than Fey'lya!!

Can't wait for more!

21. Solo_but_not_alone

Solo_but_not_alone Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2004

Ok I am jumping in here from the begning on this one! I had to hustel to catch up on the events leading up to this one and what a roller coaster! You have set a fantastic past in your two previous works for this glorious looking third. I am beyond impressed!

ding dong Mon Maothmas dead....

Great work!
    A pleasure to read!
    I am hooked.

22. Darth_Lex

Darth_Lex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    You know, I never really liked Mon Mothma anyway... [face_plain] I feel bad for the amoral janitor, though. Poor guy. :(

On the other hand, as a way to throw the NR into upheaval and make Leia's life miserable, I love it! :D :D And you write Borsk so well I know this is going to be very interesting times at the Senate.

Oh, one other thing ?
    the PAIN and ANGST I have planned for BOTH L/M and H/L should be a lot of fun
    Woohoo! I love angst! :)

I?ll even give you the benefit of the doubt on the [face_devil] for now. After the GWTW ending to JP you deserve that much. :p Still, don?t cry wolf (or Blue Devil) too many times or I?ll retract your evilness status. :eek:

Great start! Looking forward to more. :cool:

23. bladex2

bladex2 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    Good trilogy.. :D Uppers :D

24. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    YES!!!!

I have been checking these boards every so often, hoping to see this fic, and here it is at last! Wonderful beginning, LP, aboslutely wonderful! I can't wait for the angst. [face_devil] Of course, I love happy endings as much as the next person, but getting there is the best part. [face_mischief] It's even more exciting when you don't know for sure if the ending will be happy. (As always, one never quite knows what that brain of yours is concocting. ;) )

Eagerly awaiting the next post! :D

25. windkull

windkull Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2004
    Great post... but somehow I recognize half of that as the cliff hanger at the end of Jade Prophecy... yeah be nice to Mara!!! You have a bunch of L/M fans reading now after the last installment...

Can't wait for the next installment, and wish I had more time to reply but time is always a commodity in short supply. Bye for now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.