main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends A Phoenix from the Ashes - L/M, H/L COMPLETED! New Fic Announcement

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by LadyPadme, Jun 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jade51999

jade51999 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Angst is always good...

Great first post looking forward to how you put this together!
    RM Congrats to your son on graduating!

2. FreighterPilot

FreighterPilot Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2003
    Yay! The Phoenix has landed!
    Yay! Mon Mothma's dead!
    Yay! Yay! Yay!

I'll be here, even if I don't always post--new job taking up lots of time--sorry in advance if I lurk too often.

Exuberantly cheering LP's return,
    FreighterPilot

3. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002
    Wow, it's like being back from summer vacation! How great to see you all again, and some new faces, too!

EmilieDarklighter: [:D] Hi there, baby sis! So, you think happy endings aren't cliched? Really? Gabri and I must teach you a thing or two... ;)

JSM: :eek: Uh...Sun Crusher? Death Star?

...runs...

HanSolo29: Hey, great to see you again!

JM_Bulldog: * waves * Welcome back! And...er...um...Saber :eek:

RebelMom: Nice to see you back, too. Congrats to your son!

Gabri_Jade: Hugs evil twin and quickly runs off with cheesecake.

...not sharing... :p

TiaRaye: Why, thank you! :) It's nice to be back!

LaYa_: * grins * Hope this lives up to your expectations :)

GreatOne: Well, honestly, did you think I had happy planned this early on if at all? :p

CodeName_Targeter: * sings * "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead" [face_whistling]

JediArwen: Oooh! Baklavas! :eek: Wonderful! They go so well with cheesecake!

Jayden112233: Nice to see you, too! * waves *

Starfighter5: * grins * Why, thank you! I'm so glad you liked the way it started off! :)

Jedi-2B: As for killing off the Big 4...no promises [face_devil]

Jedi_Liz: I'm glad you agree that it's fair to give pain to all! :)

calgary: :eek: Did you LIKE Mon Mothma? Wow...

kayladie97: I'm working on the agony! I am! I am!!!

Solo_but_not_alone: Welcome to the story! I'm glad you liked the other two.

Darth_Lex: * Sighs * Wonders how evil I need to be to be sure of staying in your 'evil' book ;)

bladex2: Welcome to the story. Thanks.

ViariSkywalker: Happy ending? Heh, heh, heh! [face_devil]

windkull: Yes, this first post was the teaser I had at the end of JP. Hope you enjoy the rest!

jade51999: Welcome back!

FreighterPilot: Of course I understand DRL takes precedence over the boards, but come when you can! Great to see you again.

4. RogueSticks

RogueSticks Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2003
    It starts! I'm beside myself with glee. And I'll refrain from any type of explosives for a while as blowing up New Jersey seemed to scare you off for a while ;). I'm very much looking forward to this. It's great to have you writing again!

RogueTerrorist **||** Protecting H/L from fanfic authors everywhere

5. JediArwen

JediArwen Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 12, 2002
    Sunday afternoon, here! And no post! :(

Up till the post! ;)

6. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Hey, I wasn't kidding about the trial basis thing. Be nice!

7. LaYa_

LaYa_ Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 21, 2003
  8. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    A quickie to tell you I'm blissfully happy that you've begun you new 'fic. Can't wait for the rest of it!

MTFBWY,

Lauré ;)

(I sign my name à la Naboo now...)

9. LadyPadme

Sep 26, 2002

RogueSticks: Welcome back! Especially now that you're sans firebombing tools ;)

JediArwen: Sorry, the day starts later for us here in the US :)

EmilieDarklighter: * grins * Little sister, you know me very well. I'm NOT nice! [face_devil]

LaYa_: Thanks for the up!

laurelthiel1138: Welcome back!

More right away!

10. LadyPadme

Sep 26, 2002

Chapter Two

Leia?s fingers trembled as she fumbled with the fasteners on her clothing. It took her a half-dozen attempts to finish dressing herself, and she had to sit down for a moment when she was finally done.

Mon Mothma.

Assassinated.

Leia was having a hard time assimilating the thought. Mon Mothma had been a constant in her life for so long, she?d always considered the woman to be indestructible. Leia smiled mirthlessly at the thought. I should know better than anyone else that nothing is indestructible.

Leia?s relationship with the President of the New Republic had been somewhat rocky lately, but now Leia found herself remembering Mon Mothma as she first knew her when Leia was a little girl. Back then Mon Mothma was the Senator from Chandrilla. She sat on many of the same committees as Bail Organa, and they met frequently to discuss governmental matters. Later, Mon Mothma, Bail Organa and a third person, Garm Bel Iblis would form the Rebel Alliance together in their efforts to overthrow the despotic Emperor Palpatine.

Although the meetings held between the three leaders of the Rebel Alliance were highly clandestine and dangerous, Bail frequently brought his daughter, as well as her best friend Winter D?Altaire to these meetings, believing they would benefit from listening and learning as much as possible.

In those years, Leia admired Mon Mothma, but had never thought much about the older woman. For her part, Mon Mothma treated Leia with absentminded, condescending kindness. She took little notice of Leia until the princess became the Senator of Alderaan and joined the Rebel Alliance herself.

Almost immediately, Mon Mothma took Leia under her wing and it was widely believed that Mon Mothma was grooming Leia to be her protégé. The more Leia worked with Mon Mothma the more she came to admire and respect her for her superb leadership and organizational skills, as well as her uncanny military intuition. However, even back in those days, Leia remembered that Han had always mistrusted Mon Mothma and had always warned Leia that the leader of the Rebel Alliance was a control freak who only used people for her own purposes, and that Leia would fare no better than any one else under Mon Mothma?s command.

Leia had laughed off Han?s warning, taking it as proof of Han?s universal distrust of politicians. She continued working under Mon Mothma?s tutelage, rising ever higher within the Rebel Alliance hierarchy until Leia?s son Rydor was kidnapped by minions of the Emperor. Publicly defying direct orders from Mon Mothma, Leia had left the Rebel base at Sullust with Han, Luke and Winter and had gone to the second Death Star. There, they fought with Darth Vader and a mysterious woman they later learned was Mara Jade, the Emperor?s Hand, and managed to rescue Rydor before the Death Star was destroyed.

Mon Mothma never forgave Leia for her insubordination and defiance. However, after the Emperor was killed and the New Republic was formed, she reluctantly recalled Leia into service as Chief Aide to the President. Whatever Mon Mothma thought of Leia now, the President of the New Republic respected Leia?s extraordinary administrative abilities. However, Leia was no longer heir-apparent. Although Mon Mothma respected Leia?s skills, she also feared Leia?s innate morality and incorruptibility. To neutralize Leia, she appointed a second Chief Aide?the ambitious Bothan, Borsk Fey?lya.

Leia?s relationship with Mon Mothma settled into a sort of armed neutrality. They worked well together but there was never anything more than cordiality beneath the surface. Leia saw that Han had been quite right about Mon Mothma, but knew also that there was no other alternative to working under Mothma if she wanted to help bring back peace and order to the galaxy.

Despite the disintegration of their relationship over the past few years, Leia still could not help feeling a pang of grief and sadness. Mon Mothma, for all her faults, had been a great woman and had done many things for the good of the galaxy.

11. LaYa_

LaYa_ Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 21, 2003
    Great chapter!

I miss you so much, Han, Leia thought sadly. She waited, expecting to hear his familiar response, ?I know.?

But there was only silence.

:( Only silence... :(

12. RogueSticks

RogueSticks Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2003
    The sound of silence ::le sigh:: I truly hope you plan on fixing things between Leia and Han SOON. I've been in an absolute state after the way you left things in TJP.

RogueTerrorist **||** Protecting H/L from fanfic authors everywhere

13. TheCrazyRodian

TheCrazyRodian Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2004
    Whoa. You started it. LadyPadme, in case I never mentioned it before, I absolutely adore everything you've written for us here. The previous two stories, of course, and all the other ones you've listed, too. I'm a junkie of your stuff, so if I haven't ever said something to you before, hear it now. I'll do my best to keep up with this with my once a week library visits.

14. Tekli_theInsane

Tekli_theInsane Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 22, 2004
    Wow! This is a really great story. Poor Mothma. Poor janitor guy. But even more, poor Leia! :( You've hooked me. :D I need to go read In Love and War and The Jade Prophecy (something to do over summer break! :D), but I still understand what's going on. Wonderful. I can't wait for more!

15. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    I can just see Borsk and Leia having an all out mud slinging campaign. ;) Well, maybe not.

16. GreatOne

GreatOne Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 22, 2003
    :_| :_| - That was a very reflective chapter on the life and ambitions of Mon Mothma. (why is it that everytime I type Mothma I think of a giant flying moth fighting Godzilla.... oh never mind :p ) Anywho.... wonderful writing there, LadyPadme! :D

17. J_M_Bulldog

J_M_Bulldog Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    Great post. Interesting. I'm glad the New Republic got control of the only system where the fuel for Toth's weapon is made. They will be able to keep it, right? Please.

I never really did like Mon Mothma but I agree with Leia. She did not deserve to die like that. No one does.

I miss you so much, Han, Leia thought sadly. She waited, expecting to hear his familiar response, ?I know.?

But there was only silence.

*thwacks Leia* There wouldn't be silence if you hadn't of pushed Han away. I can understand that you were grieving but you took it too far.

18. TiaRaye

TiaRaye Jedi Master star 1

Jun 3, 2003
    Sigh. Imiss Han, too.

Hope we see him soon.

I'm hooked, LP. I can't wait to see where you take us this time!

19. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Very nice summary of Mothma's life. Although Leia thinks Borsk may be the best leader at this point, I have a feeling Leia may find herself in the leadership position. I guess I have to wait and see. :)

And about that silence between Leia and Han - fix it! :p

Great post!

20. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    This is what I consider a great, basic, set-up chapter. Wonderful explanation of what went on during the past four months (it's been about that long since you finished Jade Prophecy, right? :p ), and impressive description of Mon Mothma.

Now, when are we going to see Mara, Han, & Luke? ;)

21. calgary

calgary Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 3, 2004
    I miss Han too. Hope he gets in story like gang-busters. I love they way you heat up the chemistry between them even more. Looking forward to more.

22. starwarsfan68

starwarsfan68 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 25, 2003
    AHHH I miss him too. But i have a sneak feeling that Leia was called for more than the reason of the murder...maybe to be appointed new prez????? One can only hope.

23. Solo_Fan

Solo_Fan Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Great start, LadyPadme! Really enjoyed the synopsis of Leia's history with Mon Mothma. Kind of sad that they could never really get on the same page, because if Borsk becomes Mon's successor, I suspect Leia is going to have even more stress in her already stressful life. Can't wait to see what Han's reaction is to the news of Mon's assassination. Hopefully he will have enough concern to give his wife a call. I believe it is now a really good thing that Leia has Mara staying with her.

24. Jayden112233

Jayden112233 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 21, 2003
    =D= Great job again. I love how you worked a recap of the previous stories into Leia's thoughts. Also, it was nice to gain insight into Leia and Mon Mothma's relationship.

25. Reesie

Reesie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2002
    That was gorgeous. I like the rhetoric of political intrigue. You showed both Leia and Mon Mothma as caring human beings (from Leia's POV anyway), but also as politicians which is as much a part of their personalities as they are calculated facades as well. Beautifully done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.