main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A piddling little matter

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Darth_Ignant, Mar 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    Any chance we can get some sort of rule stopping people from using the quote function and then putting absolutely nothing underneath. I know a lot of people are fond of using the quote and then putting 'QFT', or 'QFE' underneath, and that is meh in itself, but the no message thing is nothing but spam. It's like '+1'. Not in the message it's conveying, but in that it adds nothing to a discussion. It's no where near rampant, but a nip in the bud would be nice. And if needed, I can give links to examples. I'm just feeling rather lazy at the mo.

2. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    QFT.

3. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    See? It doesn't even have humour value.

4. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    No, i agree, and it happens all the time. What's even worse is that when it happens, about hald the time you see it happen like 5 times in a row.

It's basically spam, when done over and over.

5. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    I've seen this happen, and I usually am left feeling confused, thinking "Did they mean to say something and accidentally hit submit?"

I mean, what did it add?

I'm not sure there needs to be a rule or anything, but certainly social ostracism and ridicule.

6. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    *runs and cowers under rug once again*

7. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    yeah I'm all for merciless mockery.

It's just something that is a hard call, since a few occurrances are harmless, but many can be detrimental. If someone went into 15 threads and posted "Neat idea." and nothing more, they could easily get a ban for spamming.

So, you know... watch out!!!!

8. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    I'd much prefer the old days, when people would just say "I agree with [username]". It took up a lot less room than the quotes, and didn't seem quite as annoying. I'd prefer even more to have someone say "I agree with [username], I really think ... [expand on points]", but I realize that might be asking too much.

In conclusion, I agree with Ignant, the quoting has gotten a bit out of hand.

9. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    Yes, in a thread (like this one) where voicing support of one idea or another is important, I think an "I agree with [username]" post is perfectly fine, especially if that person said it best, and especially if that person is me (HA!).

But the posting of the quote with nothing more? Lazy posting at best, spamming at worst.

10. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    I agree with this as well. It's basically a +1 post and it's being overused.

11. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    It's a hard thing to moderate though. It only bothers me when used excessively or if there's a bunch of pictures in the quote, which happens all the time in say, the pictures thread in PT. I'll warn the entire thread for that. But beyond that, it's a bit difficult unless we see a user doing it over and over again without actually contributing anything to the discussion. Then that would be concrete spamming.

12. Jaina Byrd

Jaina Byrd Jedi Master star 4

Feb 21, 1999
    What I think is the worst (even when it's being used for comedic effect), is when the first post in a thread is really long (up to 2 "pg down"s), and then someone quotes the whole thing and adds a one-liner to the end.

13. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    I think it's a good point - like ObiWan said it's basically +1. It doesn't add anything to the discussion and just spams up the thread with the same quote. I'd say that the mods need to moderate it like other spammy posts and give warnings to contribute to the discussion or not post.

14. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    There's not much difference replacing "QFT" with "I agree." Just more letters.

15. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    But when you say "I agree with [user]", you don't have to quote their entire text, which ends up making the page look far less cluttered.

16. -Commander_Thigh-

-Commander_Thigh- Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2004
    Well God forbid we'd have to scroll down another inch.

17. CMNDR_BACARA

CMNDR_BACARA Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    i agree [face_plain]

18. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Always makes me think the person intended to say something but was too stupid to actully figure out how to type their own message in.

So I just pity the people who do it and avoid them. I think that's punishment enough.

Seriously, I don't mind QFT . . .

But what about that 'fixed' thing? That gets on my nerves and it's actually misleading and stuff.

19. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    It gets on my nerves, the quote with no text beneath it. In fact, the quote feature only has one thing going for it, that you know who posted what you're quoting...

However, I can see it being something that the JCC mods decided to crack down on or ask users to let up on, but I don't think I'd want to see a hard and fast rule on it. It's something worth watching and if a user does it frequently or if there are many in a thread, like AmazingB's thread in JCC, we should ask users to stop or edit as spam. Basically approach it on a case by case basis.

20. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    "It's a hard thing to moderate though"

No, it isn't. If there is quoted text with nothing below, tell users to cease.

Kate, I brought up '+1' first! You've always hated me!

Rhoneroo, why case by case? +1 and tl, dr are not case by case. They're naughties. I'm not saying immediately start banning people who do it, but ease into it. This doesn't need a case by case whatsoever. ANd the les case by cases, the less grey, the better it is for all.

21. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    I agree with Darth_Ignant. Really it's annoying. I don't mind the QFT's, at least they wrote something. The blank quotes have got to go.

22. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    I'm all fine with QFT as long as you add your .02 in as well and reaffirm an opinion of the previous poster or your own. But just having QFT alone I'd consider spam as you've all said.

23. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Rhoneroo, why case by case? +1 and tl, dr are not case by case. They're naughties.

Yet I see many of them in JCC. If it's spam, treat it as spam and mod it that way, but making it a hard and fast rule means that you set it in concrete and you need to stick to it. If +1 and tl, dr are naughties and we have them set in stone, there's plenty of posts that could be edited in JCC. We don't seem to have been modding it as spam. This is where we loose consistency. If you make it a rule, make it and stick by it.

24. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    ha, did you post when tl,dr and +1 were truly epidemic?

25. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    I can see it as a nuiscance, no doubt. But is it worth a "policy" change or addition to the spamming rule? Or is it something that you can frown heavily on. Just like with "crapping threads" in Vert's thread, if it were in movies or Comms, it would be spam and the user would be warned. But you're talking about putting more boundaries in JCC, a forum that is more relaxed and casual. I don't necessarily have a problem with it, as it's spam, but I'd be hesitant to start putting a lot of things like this in black and white categories with JCC. It starts to set a precedent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.