A piddling little matter

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Darth_Ignant, Mar 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. Darth_Ignant Jedi Youngling

star 7
    But spam IS outlawed, community building fluff being the exception. Now give me one circumstance where quoting the poster above and not adding anything of your own is anything but pure spam.

And by the looks of this thread, the current JC mods and some past JC mods (omg <3 Tracy) agree. I don't want to put words in their mouths though, so correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't even see it as ading new rules, per se, but more of extending current rules.

Also, you said there's still a lot of +1 and tl, dr, and I got to thinking on that. I did see tl, dr today, but the post had a little more to it than that. But apart from that instance, I can't remember the last time I saw a tl,dr or +1 thread.
  2. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    So you're saying it is indeed not a "piddling little matter"? How the JCC mods run their own forum is largely up to them in matters like this. Sape, the admins and MS have been pretty okay with that given their unique community nature. If it's something the five of them feel they need to do to better run their forum, then it is largely up to them. We don't allow it the movie forums or places like Comms so it could be put under the spamming rule.

It would be, however, setting a precedent on every little thing that get on various posters' nerves in JCC... what about the O RLY? owl? As far as tl, dr... don't make pull out examples, Igs... I can do it! :p
  3. Darth_Ignant Jedi Youngling

star 7
    As stupid as the O RLY? owls are, at least the poster is adding something.

And it sets no more precedent than nixing +1 did. the +1 rule applies to +1 and nothing else.

And I am totally calling your bluff, show me examples! :op
  4. Sith_Wench Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    1) tl,dr :p

2) Ignant, don't disrespect the Owl! :mad:

3) I agree with <alot of the above usernames>. I know I do QFT but usually try to add something. But somebody quoting a really long post and then writing a 5 word sentence is annoying.

The picture thing NEEDS to be addressed. There are times when I've seen a picture quoted 5 times on one page at 25ppp. Very annoying.

So, how about it . . . can we outlaw some of it . . . :D
  5. PrincessKenobi New Films Manager of DOOM

Manager
    star 7
    Actually this is a great idea. It's kind of hard these days to find the meat of a thread digging thru all of the "QFT" or the such. I know somedays I just give up and move to the next thread. Which if I'm doing it, I'm sure other people probably are to and that detracts away from the community.

~PK~
  6. jedichef1 Force Ghost

star 5
    I agree this is a great idea, especially when you get some ridiculous thread that has no real content and posters just repeatedly quote the first post for ridicule purposes. Its annoying and spam and therefore should be frowned upon and the people doing it asked to stop, plus does it actually help build community spirit? and when it is just used for ridicule is it minor flaming as well?
  7. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    *puts up hand*

I'm actually guilty of this, although I don't do it often. I'll make a conscious effort not to do it again, and discourage others from doing it.

Although I would argue that some of the threads where the first post has been copied over and over for 10 or so posts has actually been fluff, rather than spam.
  8. Mikaboshi Force Ghost

star 6
    Whats the difference? Seriously I have always wanted to know, I have seen posts described as fluff and spam, but they both seem the same to me. :confused:
  9. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    To me, fluff is posts that would out-of-context be considered spam, but because of their context have a positive (some would say community-building) effect. That can range from humour to gentle ribbing of another poster to an extensive in-joke.
  10. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    I certainly wouldn't be in favour of stopping people using the O RLY owls or QFT as their only response to a post, (unless of course they're posting nothing but that over a period of time), but as for quoting with no other content, I'd have to almost completely agree with Ignant. It's so darn ambiguous more than anything else for me... I sometimes can't decide if the user is quoting because they agree or because they want to highlight a (what they consider) to be a foolish comment. It's not community building, since there's nothing that the community can latch onto in the post. I don't think it should be a concrete rule though, because should the opening post be inviting such a thing then one could argue the original poster had it coming (not in a malicious way, but in an 'lol' sort of way).

But... if someone quotes with no other content and there's no identifiable reason (nothing to 'lol' at) for that quote (and that would be the case 95% of the time) then yeah let's put a stop to it.
  11. Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    I've actually sent out a few warnings to a couple of users over the last few months that had it become part of their shtick. I don't mind QFT and the rest of the 'in' speed dial replies, they're no different to me than tl;dr was a few years ago. Like with tl;dr, I moderate based on the user, the context of the topic and the message itself. For example, if a thread asks a yes or no question, quoting the initial yes and no responses is non issue - to a degree of course. If I see someone quoting for no apparent reason, I contact and warn them about it.
  12. epic Ex Mod / RSA

star 7
    as for AmazingB's thread, the quoting without even a comment posts did have a point to them, though, despite how non-funny and tiresome they were, based on the contents of the initial post.
  13. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    I agree with the half who wants to get rid of pure quotes. There is absolutely no point in it and if we were to outlaw it now, it wouldn't harm JCC. At all. Get rid of it. Now.

"tl,dr", QFT and the Owl aren't that big problems. Highly annoying (to varying degrees...) but ... well, at least they type (or copy) something additional. They add something. Very little, but that's a lot more than just clicking "quote" and "post reply".

I mean, we never said anything against a quote (be it the quote function or the "old-fashioned way") with just a smiley (the laughing one, mostly) under it. And I guess QFT is just another way of saying this: =D=

but empty quotes. get rid of them. mercilessly.

as for full quotes of a several paragraphs long post with just very little under it... I know quite a few forums where mods simply edit the quote into saying "Fullquote". It's entirely clear what it means, but is far less annoying. We don't have to view it as an offense, either, just an inconvenience - like side-scrolling (we don't enter that into admin notes either).
  14. Darth_Ignant Jedi Youngling

star 7
    I agreed with you until the end. I think punishment should be permaban.
  15. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
    I agree with YodaJeff on this matter.
  16. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    To use the quote function and then have absolutely no reply IS spam. I agree with Ignant. I don't think a new policy is needed. It's spam. We have a rule against spam. Just mod it. When you see someone do this, contact a mod.
  17. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    fair enough, Ignant. I'll leave the details to the JCC mods. I'm just a simple movie mod trying to make my way in the Commsiverse.
  18. Darth_Ignant Jedi Youngling

star 7
    Ever made your way as far as Collecting?
  19. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
  20. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    Just to be clear, it's not really making a new rule or policy to "outlaw" this. We have rules and policies to cover this already, they just haven't been enforced as heartily, which is fine in a forum like JCC. It's basically spam, covered in the TOS already, so if the JCC mods want to enforce it - edit/warn/ban for spamming.

21. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    Why should it be "fine for JCC"? Because it's already a spammy forum? (to put it less-than-nicely)
  22. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    Yes. You post in JCC and know that it's more relaxed community than say...movies or SFF, in the posting habits/style of users. And it's not a bad thing, I go there myself to let off steam or when I've been in Comms or MS too long. ;)
  23. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    But that mostly pertains to the kind of thing people can say, in what manner and how eloquently.

Clicking "quote" and "reply" doesn't even require touching the damn keyboard.
  24. Lord_NoONE Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    My thoughts are that this situation is excellent fodder for a brightline policy from the MS. It doesn't require a case by case analysis involving some vague balancing of the quality of the post with other interests. A clear standard would be easily enforceable against all posters and it would eliminate senseless spam and intellectually bankrupt posts. The MS should act in accordance with Ignant's thoughts.

25. Boga-the-Magnificent Jedi Master

star 4
    Didn't it become a rule in the Fan Fiction Resource's forum to not quote pictures?

I really think that should be implemented because that DOES really become tiresome even if you have Cable or DSL or T1.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.