A Pilot Story (OT - The Adventures of Wedge Antilles)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by RogueLead11, Jul 27, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phoenix_Reborn Jedi Master

star 4
    Not to sound repetitive or anything, but

Holy **** you're alive.

Now I have to re-read the story again, too.

Glad to see you back

- Birdy (a.k.a Jedi_Knight_Hunter)
  2. LumiKuningatar Jedi Knight

star 3
    umm, do you have any idea when you'll be able to post the next exciting installment?
  3. Antilles2001 Jedi Master

star 4
    Considering it's been three years since the last post, I'd say quite awhile. :p
  4. RogueLead11 Force Ghost

star 2
    hehe, I've actually been trying to work on a post but I would say don't expect it for awhile yet, since midterms are coming up and work takes priority. If I've learned anything from the past three years, it's that school and writing don't mix! [face_frustrated]

But, on an unrelated note, everyone go see "Serenity" when it comes out this Friday. It's as close to Star Wars in the theatres as we're going to get for awhile!
  5. RogueLead11 Force Ghost

star 2
    After my talk with Garven Dreis, I decided that perhaps I should take the initiative for once, having thrown the first punch, and be the first one to apologize to those I?d offended. However, after the fifteen minutes of knocking it took for Baby to crack open the door of his quarters, followed by his long list of specifications concerning an ?adequate? confession, I was beginning to regret my decision.

?You?re a great pilot, I?m cannon fodder. You?re a blessing to humanity, I?m the scum of the galaxy. You?re, uh, very good looking. I have the physique of a space slug.? I stopped, folding my arms over my chest. ?Am I done yet??

Baby?s one visible eye blinked lazily through the slight space between door and frame. He had not even allowed me to enter his room, forcing me to stand outside in the corridor and raise my voice for his neighbors? benefit. ?Oh, I don?t know,? he said. ?Your hollow attempts at forgiveness have only slightly soothed my deep emotional trauma.?

?I?ll give you deep emotional trauma,? I growled.

He waved his hand. ?Continue.?

?Fine.? I sighed. ?You?re a tactical genius, I?m an ignorant moron. You get lots of girls, I get Biggs and Piggy??

?Don?t forget your unforgivably rank body odor,? he chimed in helpfully.

?You know, I really don?t think is necessary-?

The small portion of Baby?s expression darkened and his head disappeared from the opening. With an ominous creak, the door began to slide closed.

?Hold on, hold on!? Cursing, I jammed my boot into the gap, succeeding in both stopping the door and squishing my front two toes. After a moment, Baby?s eye reappeared on the other side. Keenly aware of the pain in my foot, I was only partly glad he?d returned.

?You know, Ace,? he said, gazing at me solemnly. ?All this cussing is getting in the way of you telling me how great I am.?

Forgiveness be damned. I was mentally calculating whether it was possible to punch him through the crack in the door when Baby?s eye crinkled in irritating satisfaction. ?However,? he continued. ?Being the understanding, magnanimous person that I am, I have found it in myself to forgive you.?

He stepped back and the door hissed fully open, freeing my trapped foot at last. Trying to flex my battered toes, I stumped through the threshold. A smiling Baby met me on the other side, his hand outstretched. ?So,? he said cheerily, ?now that we?ve established that what happened was all your fault, let?s let bygones be bygones. What do you say??

I had been heavily debating my plans for apologizing. Now that I was finally able to view my opponent?s entire face, though, I had to fight back a laugh. The pain in my nose suddenly didn?t seem that bad when I noticed the swelling around the right side of Baby?s jaw and at the top of his forehead. He was currently pressing an iced medpac to his cheek, but otherwise showing no signs of discomfort. I couldn?t help feeling some satisfaction that he hadn?t just used me as punching bag in our argument.

Shaking my head in amusement, I started to reach out, to clasp his hand and finally end things, but at the last moment, he lifted his arm and raised his palm slightly out of my reach.

I stared at him in confusion, my stomach sinking. ?Don?t tell me I have to come up with more compliments,? I groaned.

?Ace, I?m sorry.?

It took my mind a minute to catch up with his words. ?What??

?I?m sorry,? he repeated. There was no mirth in his voice now. ?I shouldn?t have said those things about your parents. And I shouldn?t have dragged Maire into it either. We?ve all lost someone at one time or another. It was stupid of me.?

I unsuccessfully searched for any hint of mockery in his tone. Standing in front of me, his hand still dangling in the air, Baby almost looked nervous. The memory of him, Piggy, Biggs, and Captain Dreis confronting me in front of the simulator still rankled me. The fact that they had used my parents to strengthen their own cause still caused my hands to clench at my sides. But I remembered the look on Garven Dreis? face outside the Temple,
  6. Fanficfan Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yay, first post.
    Excellent come back. Loved when Wedge realised it wasn't just him and Wes in the room. Almost cried with laughter.
    But don't think this means I'm forgiving you for making us go 3 YEARS without a post. You've got a lot of writing to do before that happens.
  7. Corellian_Rogue Jedi Knight

star 3
    What can I possibly write to illustrate how much I loved reading this? :D This story just has something about it...dunno what it is but all the characters are so well portrayed and are so complex! A day ago I wouldn't have cared when Piggy died in the movies to be honest but now I'm going to blubber like an idiot! :) Look what you've done RogueLead11! LOL I don't think I've ever seen anyone write Wedge so well, he's always written as this galactic hero guy that is dedicated and respectable and just so adult. It's really refreshing to see him a somewhat awkward kid, fumbling about, stuck between two lives.

And Wes and Piggy are fantastic! Their dynamic is wonderful as pranksters. And I don't usually laugh at fat jokes but holy crap these are hilarious! And I love the way you've given them nicknames and stuck by them, Wes as Baby is adorable. Although I keep thinking of that scene in Dirty Dancing where he says "no one puts Baby in a corner" which is bizarre! :D *pictures Wes dancing with Patrick Swayze* ROTFLOL! Excuse my randomness...

Anyway, wonderful story, great characters and beautiful writing and hope for more posts soon! :) Well done! *hopes one day you'll unite the fab four with hilarious results*
  8. Phoenix_Reborn Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm so incredibly glad to see this post. It feels just like the old ones! I absolutely loved the interactions between Wedge and the rest of the reds. I'm looking forward to the next part :)
  9. Yavarice Jedi Knight

star 1
    O
    M
    G

While procrastinating studying for a test I went through my old bookmarks, clicked this on a whim and.... geez you're still alive!

I only remember this being a great story, I'll have to re-read it again for the new stuff hehe.
  10. Antilles2001 Jedi Master

star 4
    Well. It's good to have you back. :) Even though I'm no longer a Wedge-head (Clones all the way! :cool:), I remember how much I liked to read this fic. Very nice description of the gang relaxing whilst repressing their laughter.

Wonderful work, as always, RogueLead. A tad late, but all is forgiven, ma'am. :)

11. double_blade Jedi Knight

star 1
    wow just finished reading...great story...janson is always great

i guess im one of the lucky ones...i just read the entire fic in the past couple of days...instead of waiting over the years to finish it...lol

my only problem was with some minor continuity problems...and i thought when biggs came into the story hobbie was definitely gonna come in...cuz the both defected from the rand at the same time and joined red squad at the same time on yavin...oh well it was still great
  12. Idiots Array Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    *blink*

*blink*

*rubs eyes*

Wow, this is a blast from the past. I log in after several months and half of Talon Squad comes crawling out of the woodwork.

At any rate, great work. I'm glad to see this continue. It certainly deserves all the praise it's received.

Roguelead11, if you get a free moment drop me a line. I'd like to hear how things are going.

IA
  13. benknobi1 Chosen One

star 6
    Yes, =D=
  14. RogueLead11 Force Ghost

star 2
    The next few days went by quickly, but almost happily so. During those nights, as I lay in Red Squadron?s humid barracks and listened to the raucous chorus of snoring from Biggs and Baby, I realized this was the first time in years that I was sleeping on firm ground. It felt nice, knowing that I didn?t have to drift through the black anymore, alone in the coldness of space.

Even though our quarters in the Temple didn?t have a single window, Garven Dreis seemed to instinctively know when it was morning because he roused the squadron at the light of dawn. He stood by as we stumbled blearily into the washrooms, berating us while we stood at the faucets and splashed water onto tired faces.

?It seems you?ve forgotten that this is the military!? he shouted. ?I was flying in the Republic Air Cavalry when you all were still in diapers. Force knows we would have lost the Battle of Virujansi with you lazy slobs in the ranks.?

?The Battle of Virujansi?? Biggs Darklighter called out from a shower stall. ?Wow, Captain, so you fought in the Clone Wars? I didn?t know they?d even invented snubfighters back then!?

Everyone laughed until Captain Dreis, his expression serene, proceeded to flush every refresher in the room.

After breakfast, Dreis frequently led us in jogs through the jungle surrounding the base. He ran at the head of the straggling column of pilots, impervious to the insects, spiky tree roots, and oozing bogs that quickly felled the less cautious. The sheer peril of these exercises led the rest of the squadron to rename them ?death marches.?

?I really think he?s trying to kill us,? Baby whispered to me during one such outing. ?You know, to thin out the population so they won?t have to feed us as much.?

I kept my eyes on the ground, feeling my boots sink into the ground as I jumped over a sizeable depression in the moist earth. ?Interesting theory. But wouldn?t that be counter-productive when we don?t have enough pilots to fill out the X-wings??

?I don?t think that?s going to be a problem, considering the number of Red Squadron replacements Dreis has drummed up.? Baby waved his hands around his head to shoo away a particularly large flying insect. ?Honestly, I think Lead?s given up on us. He?s going to wipe the slate clean, cut his losses, and start with a brand new batch of pilots.? He paused. ?I guess I don?t blame him for giving up, really. I?m a pretty formidable opponent, especially in the long run. Dave put up a good fight, but determination alone can?t beat sheer pig-headedness??

Baby?s speech would have continued if, at that moment, he hadn?t found himself up to his knees in a puddle of sinking sand. Piggy came up behind us, shaking his head. ?Is he claiming Lead is trying to murder the squadron again?? he asked as we tugged Baby free.

I nodded. ?Should we be concerned??

?Nah. Anyway, we wouldn?t be in the Rebellion if we didn?t have a death wish.?

In some ways, however, what Baby said was true. We?d started flying simulator exercises against potential candidates for Red Squadron the previous day, and the number of replacement pilots far outstripped the number of available X-wings.

Because each of the simulator rooms could only house four to six simulator pods, we took turns competing against the new arrivals. Some of the pilots were fellow survivors from Dantooine, their eyes haunted whenever they spoke about their lost squadron mates. Some had defected from the Imperial forces or Academy and had joined the Rebellion only recently. I felt a little closer to these individuals. I imagined that they felt the newness of being with the Reds, just like me, and I enjoyed flying against them, seeing how their formal training compared with my practical experience.

One afternoon, as Baby and I climbed out of our simulator cockpits, Biggs was standing off to the side, conversing excitedly with another young pilot. The latter cradled a flight helmet in the crook of his arm, his short blond hair mussed, having recently emerged from the sim himself.

?I?d like to introduce you to an old
  15. Idiots Array Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  16. Spencer_P Jedi Knight

star 1
    Ahhh... new post! Thank you RogueLead11! Out of all the fanfics I've read, I think this one is my favorite.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.