A Pilot Story (OT - The Adventures of Wedge Antilles)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by RogueLead11, Jul 27, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Corell Jedi Padawan

star 4
  2. Idiots Array Jedi Knight

star 5
  3. LAZARO_DENMAN Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Ahhhh, darlin', your writin' is like a breath of fresh air! You are wonderful!

I have followed this thread for a good long time now, and you just get better with every viewin'! Your Wedge reminds me so much of some of the young ones I have flown with over the years... Funny how young men grow up.

Thank you so much for that taste of what our (eventual) Commander is capable of when he sets his mind to it. That was a brilliant post. Good flyin' is hard to write, and you do an admirable job of it, my dear.

Keep up the great work. I am eagerly awaitin' your next installment.

With affection, I remain in loyal service to the New Republic,

Lazaro "DL" Denman
    Commander, Javelin Squadron
    NRS Emancipator
  4. Corell Jedi Padawan

star 4
  5. padawan3 Jedi Master

star 4
    Since I'am here I'll just up this.
  6. Darth Rayder Jedi Master

star 4
    (After regaining strength..) UP, I say!! UP!!!!!!
  7. Idiots Array Jedi Knight

star 5
    My post count = +1 and this story = TOP!!

I hope you can post again soon Rogueleader. :)
  8. Idiots Array Jedi Knight

star 5
  9. Corell Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I just reread the beggining, and realized (again) how well written it, (and the whole stroy for that matter) is. UP!
  10. padawan3 Jedi Master

star 4
    Forget the preamble, top.
  11. Idiots Array Jedi Knight

star 5
  12. RogueLead11 Jedi Master

star 2
    I wish the italics were still here. The dream sequence would be much more effective. :( Thanks for your patience, guys!

Heat.

I'd never felt so hot before in all my life. Drops of cold sweat trickled down my neck. My face flushed as if with fever, but I knew I wasn't sick.

I was terrified.

"Mom! Dad! Don't do it!"

Screaming. Screaming at the top of my lungs. Screaming until my throat hurt. Maybe if I shouted loudly enough, they'd change their minds. Maybe they'd go back. Maybe they wouldn't...

"We can't, Veggies," Mom said. "The entire station depends on us!"

"No!" I wanted to yell, "You can't!" so badly, but I couldn't force the words out. I knew that they could. They would. They *were.* For the good of the whole, they would do it. For the good of the whole, they would sacrifice everything. Their lives. Our future. Our family.

For the good of the whole...

"Wedge? Do you hear me?" Dad?s voice came to me over the coldness of space. I could hear the crackling of the flames in the background.

"Yes," I whispered. *Yes. Yes, I hear you. Please don't leave me. Please don't go.*

"We love you, son."

*Please...*

But by then, there was no one to answer back.

Despite the warmth of the sunlight, I couldn't help shivering when I opened my eyes.

I hated those dreams.

I knew I was no Jedi; the Force was as far from my reach as any one of the stars in the sky. But I could never fight it when the arms of the past reached out in those inopportune moments of sleep, beckoning me back over the mists of time. Usually the dreams occurred when I was tired, or afraid, or nervous. And they always had to do with that Day, some aspect of it, a piece of the rotten fruit for me to choke down again and again.

Lying on my back, the last remnants of the dream finally dissipating, I watched the rosy clouds congregate in the crimson dusk high above the savanna. Dantooine's tall lavender grasses seemed to stretch onward to the horizon, and as the breeze whispered through the long stalks, the tops rippled over the flat land like waves in the sea. The sounds of the planet surrounded me, swelling, dangerously mollifying. I?d already drifted off once to the natural lullaby.

There wasn't a sign of civilization to be seen: empty sky above, deserted plains on all sides. The Alliance base was a half-kilometer journey behind me, hidden amongst the rocky hills. None of the rebels had tried to stop me when I'd walked straight out the front entrance into the wilderness.

After all, where could I go?

Sighing, I pushed myself to my feet. I didn't feel like sitting still any longer. I was going to walk.

As it wasn't close to being completely dark yet, I continued out away from the rebel base further into the savanna. I didn?t care where I went. I wandered without direction, without purpose. I climbed several hills, pausing at the summit of each one to check the level of the sun.

It wasn?t long before I discovered I wasn?t the only one who had sought seclusion in the outdoors.

It was on one such hill that I found her. As I picked my way up the slope, I stopped. A young woman sat cross-legged on the ground several meters away, her back to me, silhouetted against the setting sun. She was gazing across the desolate landscape, apparently unaware of me. Her hands were folded in her lap. Like mine had been before, her eyes were squeezed shut.

"Hello, Maire," I said.

Her head came around. Blue eyes blinked at me through the swaying lavender grass. "Oh. Hello, Ace."

We stared at each other. I was the first to glance away. "They let you out," I said, studying my boots.

"Yes, I got released from the medical center an hour ago."

She was dressed in the same simple outfit she'd worn in the med-center. Her ruddy complexion had returned and for the first time, I actually saw Maire - not a pale ghost sent from the netherworld to haunt me.

"Um, you look... nice," I said.

"Thank you."

Maire didn?t move away when I came over and sat down next to her. The wind whistled between us. A
  13. Idiots Array Jedi Knight

star 5
    Great post, Rogueleader. I really like Wedge and Maire's interaction. You've done a very good job on this story so far. Thanks a lot and keep up the good work! :)
  14. Corell Jedi Padawan

star 4
    *Loud applause.* Great job!
  15. Idiots Array Jedi Knight

star 5
    I claim this thread in the name of the Fort Club!!

*plants flag*

;)
  16. Idiots Array Jedi Knight

star 5
    To the TOP!!! :)

Great story, Rogueleader. Please continue.
  17. Corell Jedi Padawan

star 4
  18. Corell Jedi Padawan

star 4
    So, when do they find out that 'Ace' is Wedge Antilles? (Ooops, sorry if anyone didn't realize that by now.)
  19. RogueLead11 Jedi Master

star 2
    I think it's pretty clear by now who Ace is, Corell, so don't worry about it. :) As to when Ace turns into Wedge... well, I guess we'll just have to see!
  20. Corell Jedi Padawan

star 4
    *Howls* OUuuuuu! You are supposed to post part of the story!
  21. Corell Jedi Padawan

star 4
    UP, so RL11 can find this *and post*!
  22. RogueLead11 Jedi Master

star 2
    Just letting you know: this post has no pertinence to the plot whatsoever. I just decided to take a short break and write something silly for once. A serious post is coming right after this. Oy vey, this story just hits all ends of the spectrum... :)

- - -

?So Ace, where were you last night?? Baby said. ?You missed the big party.?

Across the table, Piggy snorted and put down his fork. ?Do you mean the two hours we spent in the hangar bay, drinking second-rate Corellian whiskey straight out of the bottle and betting on how many times we could burp in a row??

The other pilot grinned around a mouthful of food. ?Yeah! Wasn?t it great??

The Mess Hall was emptier than usual, at least for the moment, because most (more sensible) people were still in bed. Piggy, Baby, and I were among the few in the base that had risen bright and early for breakfast. Red Squadron was scheduled for a patrol around the system later that morning and as we ate, the unit?s yawning stragglers made their way one by one into the room. Captain Garven Dreis already occupied a table in the corner, sipping a mug of caf and taking count of the number of pilots present.

Baby picked up his cup - filled with some sort of purple liquid - and took a generous pull. ?You know, Maire was missing yesterday too. According to the meds, she got released that evening, but I couldn?t find her anywhere.? He waggled his eyebrows suggestively over the rim of the glass. ?Guess you guys had better things to do, eh??

I narrowed my eyes at him. "Nothing happened," I growled. "Grow up."

Piggy rolled his eyes. "Telling Wes to grow up is like tossing a bucket of water on a supernova. It's pointless."

Baby smirked. "Kind of like that diet you're on right now."

"Hey! We discussed this already." Piggy rested his hands on his ample midsection. "I have dense bones."

?Uh huh. Right. And Maire and Ace did nothing but *talk* last night.? Baby stood, picking up his food tray. ?I?m going up for another helping. Do you want something?? He glanced at me. So far, I hadn't attempted to eat anything.

?Sure." I resisted the temptation to inform him that talking *was* the only thing that had happened. "What?s good here?? I asked instead.

?Slimy goop,? he said promptly. ?House specialty.?

I frowned. ?Anything else??

He shrugged. ?Well, according to the other Reds, some days you get to choose whether you want your goop slimy or your slime goopy. But that doesn?t happen very often, though, so I wouldn't bet on it.?

I scratched my head. "Maybe you should pick."

"Good choice." Whistling, he strolled off to the meal line.

I watched him go, then turned to Piggy. ?So, no runs in the simulator today??

The older man grunted. ?Nah. It?s a wishbone squad for the day.? Wishbones was the common term (at least among X-wing jocks) for Y-Wings. ?Saber Squadron, I think. We usually alternate with them. Patrols one day, sims the next. Makes for variety.?

?Ah.? I filed that bit of information away in my head for future reference and thought of Terminal 10. I wondered whether the pilots in Saber squadron were better or worse than the ones in Red. Maybe I would find out later...

"Here ya go!"

Baby had returned. He paraded back to us bearing a tray laden with victuals, most in paste form and all in varying shades of gray. He took one dish off and placed it in front of me with a flourish. "Your breakfast, as you requested, your Highness."

I peered at the steaming mush piled high on one side of the plate. "Is it slime or goop?"

"I dunno. Maybe both! You can never tell with Alliance food." The pilot took his seat and plunged into his own repast with almost frightening enthusiasm. He'd chosen several other items besides the main course, including a new drink (green this time). I winced as I watched him manipulate all his utensils to cram as much food into his mouth as was physically possible.

Piggy shielded his eyes. "Oh, the horror," he said.

I went back to studying my breakfast. Baby had been courteous enough to get me more than just the sloop or
  23. padawan3 Jedi Master

star 4
    That was hysterical. I love food fights.
  24. Idiots Array Jedi Knight

star 5
    LOL...that was hilarious, Rogueleader. :D Maybe we have some candidates for the Fort Club in the bunch... ;)

Anyway, I can't wait for the next post. Keep up the good work, but don't forget to post in Genesis. :)
  25. KnightMara Jedi Padawan

star 4
    This is such a great story! More, please. :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.