main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends A Pilot's Tale (A Star Wars / Lord of the Rings x-over)** READER'S POLL**

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jade243, Oct 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jade243

Jade243 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2002
    Author's note: I am not entirely certain how often I will be able to update this, but rest assured, I will do so as often as I am able. It just might not be as often as you, the reader, might like. I hope that I have the characters IN character, and if not, well, I guess it could be blamed on the situation...

There will also be an amount of Sindarin in this fic, and I hope I have not butchered the beautiful language... It just so happens that it might end up that way, seeing as I have no real model to base it on other than websites on grammar that have no examples of sentence structure. I will provide translations at the end of the post. If I don't, please call me on it.

I also hope I haven't gotten some facts backwards or wrong concerning Middle Earth and its history. If I do, again, please call me on it, but if it's a historical fact of Tolkien's, please give me a specific reference. I only have five books and the online version of the Encyclopedia of Arda to go on.

Lastly, some things might seem a bit strange or wrong for it to happen, but please bear with me... Feedback is VERY greatly appreciated, since I can use such to improve my writing.

Disclaimer: I own nothing belonging to George Lucas, the Great Flanneled One, nor do I own anything belonging to J.R.R. Tolkien, Genius and Masterful Creator of the wonderful world we call Middle Earth... :p Though I wish I owned at least a bit of it, so I wouldn't have to work for a living... [face_laugh]

Right.. On we go.. :p

>>>-------------------------><-------------------------<<<

Chapter 1: Of Flight and Landings

There was a certain deceptive peace about space that one could easily be lulled into if caught off guard. When not clouded with the ships and fighters of war, it had a smooth feel to it, pleasantly dotted with the small, yet brilliant, pinpricks of stars. There were hidden dangers, though, that could easily take a life if one weren?t careful. There were black holes, asteroids, and other things that could be easily avoided or easily collided with ripping apart shields, hull, and finally life.

There were also dangers to consider that came from the various beings living in the galaxy at large. Pirates could jump into space lanes and raid luxury liners, freighters, and an occasional, but very small, patrol unit. On the other end, the Empire could be lying in wait at the end of any hyperspace route, and that could be the end of any Rebel force that happened into their trap. And then, of course, there was the possible?however most unlikely?danger of your own pilot.

That was Wes Janson?s present concern?his pilot was Derek ?Hobbie? Klivian.

Hobbie was one of the greatest people one could find in a friend, but he tended to enjoy meeting the ground with just a bit too much enthusiasm. Often, those meetings resulted in a long visit with another old friend of his: a bacta tank. He wondered if, perhaps, he should have insisted on one of his other friends, Wedge Antilles or Tycho Celchu, being his pilot for this trip.

Not that it really mattered. What was done was done, and both were in the Lambda-class shuttle next to their own Y-wing fighter. Despite their recent loss at Endor, the Empire had stepped up their search for the members of the Rebel Alliance and members of Rogue Squadron in particular. A spy had been discovered at their base near Ithor, and General Rieekan had insisted on Rogues pairing off and taking the older Y-wings to the new base as a disguise?albeit a rather crude one. Wedge and Tycho, however, had chosen to bring their gear?thus the shuttle. They were all needed as pilots, and no one in the upper ranks of command were inclined to lose good pilots if less attention could be brought to them.

Wes was content to use the fighter he?d first learned to fly, but Wedge, Tycho, and Hobbie were all used to the faster ships and could get easily agitated in the slower fighters. He was perfectly all right with that too. He loved to tease his friends whenever he could.

?Wes, are your systems back there ready for the

2. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    No chocolate chip cookie!

He hoped his friend would still be around so he could tease him about the crash later on.

[face_laugh]

You're writing style is that of greatness. It seems just like a real SW book. Good job! Now write more!

3. Jade243

Mar 31, 2002
    Thank you, Master Jacen :)

4. the-Admiral

the-Admiral Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2003
    Nice start Jade .. very nice..

the Admiral

5. Keeper_of_Swords

Keeper_of_Swords Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Great introduction!

Hope a character similar to Strider shows up.....

6. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    *hands Jade chocolate chip cookies*

This looks like it's going to be a very good story. I mean, how can you go wrong with our favorite flyboys in Middle Earth? :p

YubYub and TG- Protecting fangirls from hormonally gifted fanboys since 2002

7. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    JANSON on Middle Earth? And we thought Sauron was scary! [face_laugh]

Force, wait 'til he meets Pippin!

8. Jade243

Mar 31, 2002
    Admiral, Thank you :)

Keeper of Swords, A character 'similar to Strider' may or may not show up... [face_mischief] I think I may try for something different with this... We'll see :p

Daughter of Yub Yub, That's what I was thinking... Any story with those particular four can't be bad... Well, in most cases, at least... I just hope I can at least write them as well as Allston can... :p

Mistress Renata, That is a scary thought, come to think of it... I wonder what kind of mischief Wes will be getting into... [face_mischief] :p As for Pippin, I'm not going to guarantee you'll be seeing him... [face_devil] :p

I think I may be able to update at least once a week on this-at least for now. Your reviews are certainly giving me the motivation I'll be needing to continue writing this. With any luck, I'll get this written a lot faster than my other stories, and maybe I can get it to the point where I can comfortably update more than once a week. I'm the kind of person who likes to keep it written ahead a bit, and I've already let my impatience rule me in posting this before I probably should have. [face_blush] :)

9. Jade243

Mar 31, 2002
    Up.. My, isn't this a familiar habit... [face_plain]

10. Jade243

Mar 31, 2002
    Here we go with the next part... :p

Wes made his way through the trees until the afternoon of the next day?at least he assumed it was afternoon?or possibly the same day since he wasn?t exactly sure about what time his seat had finally hit the forest floor. Any sunlight above the trees didn?t filter down into these levels despite the fact that there were no leaves, and he couldn?t see very far in front of him. He had managed to stumble across a path, though, and had been following it for several hours now.

He couldn?t see very far on either side of the path either.

Small black creatures with bushy tails seemed abundant, but he contented himself with his rations. The only weapons he had were his utility knives and the only protection he had was his flightsuit, the clothes beneath it and his helmet, which he wore for warmth. It was cold. If he had to guess, it was winter here. The fact that there were bare trees and a few that had green needle-looking things told him there were, in fact, seasons on this world. At least there isn?t any snow, he thought to himself, repressing shudders as memories of Hoth?s biting cold came to mind.

Hoth.

He chuckled lightly, recalling the snowball fight he had gotten started between the pilots and technicians in the main hangar there. By the time Rieekan and Leia had stopped it, both they and everyone else were completely covered in snow. Hobbie had looked the worse though. He had been essentially buried at one point with Wes and Zev?s help. But then Hobbie and Wes had teamed up and buried Wedge.

?Hobbie, how do you always manage to crash?? he muttered to himself. ?One thing?s for sure, though. You have some kind of weird talent or taste for it.? He stumbled over a root hidden beneath the fallen leaves. ?It?s just my luck that he?d strand me in the middle of a,? he paused, taking in the trees that looked much like they had when he?d first landed and felt his irritation fade, ?such a sad, wooded area? And that he?d manage to leave me unarmed too!?

He began walking again, making sure he was keeping his senses on alert. Then he realized what he?d just been doing. He shook his head with a wry snort. ?Great. Now I?m talking to myself.? He swept his gaze around the area again. ?Hobbie, just you wait ?til I get my hands on you! You?ll be taking a month-long bacta bath once I get through!?

What if he didn?t survive this crash though? He shook his head violently. That?s a ridiculous thought. Hobbie always comes out alive. There was always a first time for everything though. He stopped short and looked around. ?Hobbie, if you didn?t survive that crash, I swear I?ll bring you back from the Force, or whatever afterlife there is and hurt you!?

He trekked on through the rest of the day, stopping only a few moments every so often for rest and to get a quick sip from his already meager water supply. He stopped when he thought it was night. He gathered some small branches from the ground and started a small fire before pushing himself back against a tree trunk. He dug out some rations for his dinner and ate them quickly, choking down the dry bars. They were better than eating nothing, and he was hungry. Soon enough, he found himself dozing off unaware of the hundreds of eyes that appeared in the dark.

He woke suddenly, some time later, to a furry something touching his neck. He jerked away from the tree and found himself staring at a large hairy creature with eight legs and eight eyes coming down the tree from above him. ?Gah!? He shot back toward the middle of the clearing. He glanced around and found several more of the creatures heading for him.

He fumbled momentarily for his knives, then decided they wouldn?t do much good against the creatures that were now surrounding him. ?What I wouldn?t give to have my blaster about now,? he muttered. ?Thanks a lot, Hobbie.? He found a large stick nearby and ran for it. One of the creatures chose that moment to jump at him, and he ducked into

11. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Most excellent! I love that even the common tongue of Middle Earth isn't Basic, a wonderful, realistic touch. I could just see those spiders; I remember them! Ugh!

The use of the Elven is a great touch.

As for poor Hobbie... we'll have to hope he's with Elrond, in the Halls of Healing, being attending by fair Elf maidens (hey, he deserves it!)

12. GrandAdmiralKyrrona

GrandAdmiralKyrrona Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 9, 2003
    *gasp* Wes Janson, Hobbie Klivian, and *drools* Legolas all on the same planet? WOW!!!! *heart attack*
    Now all we need is the very single Tobey Maguire, and we'll be set!

13. Jade243

Mar 31, 2002
    Mistress Renata: I am pleased, indeed, that you thought so. When I first got the idea for this, I thought surely the languages would be different since they come from two different galaxies, as it were, so I set out to learn Sindarin as best I could. I'm glad you like that :D
    As for Hobbie.... [face_devil] :p

GrandAdmiralKyrrona: I'm glad you seem to like this :)

14. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    Yay! Uppiedated! And so now the sexy man has been introduced... [face_mischief]

15. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Jul 8, 2002
    Wes and Legolas all in one post? Yay! :D

I loved Wes comparing the Elves to Ewoks. :D

16. PROPHEToftheCOUNCIL

PROPHEToftheCOUNCIL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2001
    I'll have to keep watching this.....

Very interesting.... Wes Janson and all that....

17. Jade243

Mar 31, 2002
    Master Jacen: Yes, I updated :p And yes, it would appear that the one many just absolutely drool over has been introduced.. For myself, I believe myself to be more of an advocate for the neglected characters :p I'm glad this seems to have caught your interest though :D

Daughter of Yubyub: Yep, those two in the same post, and it may give you joy to know that those two will continue to be in the same post for much of the story :p (sorry I seem to be a bit cheeky-ish or something today) I'm also glad to know someone caught Wes's brief comparison. I kinda thought it'd be funny, but that's just me, so... :p

Prophet: You mean I caught your interest with this? And you think it interesting? :D I'm glad some of my readers from the story I now tend to think of with a bit of embarrassment have transferred over to this one. Or something like that anyway... Seems like you were a reader at that other one, though... *tries to come up with proper words, scratches head* Anyway, I'm glad you find this an interesting read :p

Thank you all for the reviews thus far :D They have motivated me to write more, and I'm 1/3 of the way done with chapter 2 now ;)

18. PROPHEToftheCOUNCIL

PROPHEToftheCOUNCIL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2001
    I was a reader with the other one. I may not have posted all that often. . . but I read it.

19. Mira_Terrik

Mira_Terrik Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2002
    YAY!!

I'm so glad you're writing this story, my friend! I am totally enjoying it thus far and can't wait to see where you take this! You know how much I love those pilots and you write them so well!

Eagerly awaiting more - and take your time updating. I, for one, am not going anywhere! :D

20. _3MD_PsychoSniper

_3MD_PsychoSniper Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    Good story.

I demand more, lol.

[Edit]

You have GOT to have Wes hit on Arwen!!!!!

21. Jade243

Mar 31, 2002
    Prophet: Yeah, I remember you posting some reviews there... I hope this one proves better than that one... :p

MIRA!!! 's been a long time since I heard from you... I hope you're feeling better now... Thank you for that compliment. [face_blush] I'm glad you enjoy them as much as I do, though we both know how much we both like those particular characters... and I LOVE your signature... :p but I think I already told you that once...

3MD PsychoSniper: More coming right up... I'm glad you're enjoying this humble little tale o'mine... :p As for your idea, I must admit, it does have merit....

22. Jade243

Mar 31, 2002
    Wes: You know you've been lax in posting, right? That it's been over a week since you last posted?

Jade: Yes, Wes, I know that. I was trying to get a post ahead before I proceeded. You know that.

Wedge: His mental age makes him impatient, you know.

Jade: I know. Wes! Get your hands off my cookies! Eat one of those doughnuts instead.

Hobbie: Are you sure you want to let him eat doughnuts?

Tycho: Especially after what he did to my office with all those pastries? You should at least hide those cream- and jelly-filled ones.

Wes: There are filled ones? Where?

Jade: Hmm.. You're right. On second thought, Wes, you can only have those filled doughnuts if you swear you won't leave fingerprints or crumbs anywhere in the entire house.

Wes: That's not much incentive for me to not leave fingerprints. I could easily snitch them and leave the fingerprints anyway. No, I need something more than that.

Jack: Tha's the spirit, mate! Take what you can! You should come visit the Caribbean. You have the makings of a good pirate.

Jade: *rubs forehead* Jack, what are you doing here?

Jack: Tha's Captain Jack Sparrow t' you. *puffs chest out proudly only to have it deflated again* I'm 'ere t' see that you get back t' work on your Pirates stories.

Jade: *eyes Sparrow suspiciously*

Jack: *Presses hands and lips together and tilts head down slightly* And t' see that you include yours truly in said Pirates stories.

Jade: I will get to them as soon as I can. Wes, what will it take to keep you from leaving a mess?

Wes: A post. Today. Now.

Jade: And if I do, do you swear not to leave a single fingerprint or crumb in the entire house on pain of...*thinks*...*grins wickedly* on pain of losing Kettch.

Wes: You wouldn't! He's an innocent!

Jade: Care to try me? *raises eyebrow*

Jack: I'd agree to this one, Mr. Janson. She's an unpredictable lass, though certainly not a stupid one.

Wes: All right, I'll agree.

Jade: I knew you'd see it my way. They're in that bag on the table. And, as promised, here's a post for the readers... OH! and one more little note... Any dialogue between '...' from now on means the language is Sindarin. Dialogue in regular "..." is either in Common or Basic, and will be noted which is actually used, unless I decide to mark Basic with something else.

Wes tried to remember where they were going, but it was dark, and he could barely see the men around him, much less where they were going. After the attack of those last creatures?yrch, he recalled Legolas calling them?they had continued on for another day and a half. In that time, the forest around them had lightened and changed to the point where it looked as healthy and thriving as a forest should when dormant.

The sunlight of the afternoon had been able to actually come through the branches here, and it was as bright and cheerful as a forest floor could be for this type of season. All through the day, he had felt multiple eyes on him, but since Legolas and the others hadn?t been concerned, he felt they must be friendly eyes. This feeling had been confirmed when a man dropped from one of the trees and spoke to Legolas, though it looked more like someone reporting to a superior.

After that, they had met several more, and every one of them had as youthful faces as any human Wes?s own age of twenty-three. As each and every man they met bowed deeply, Wes began to suspect Legolas was higher in rank than he?d thought. For the moment, all he could think was that perhaps the man?s rank was the local military commander. He looked very young, but then, Wes hadn?t seen anyone old, anyway, so maybe all the older men had been killed or something by whatever dark power was twisting the trees two day?s back.

Soon enough, just as the sky was barely beginning to light with a new day, he heard the sound of fast moving water. It wasn?t the first time he wished for a glowrod, but he had seen some of the men of this area using to

23. _3MD_PsychoSniper

_3MD_PsychoSniper Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    /regreses 10 years to be Wes's mental age

/pouts

/jumps up and down

"I want more I want more I want more I want more I want more I want more I want more I want more I want more"

Cmon, have Wes flirt with the local chicks.

(Though I still want him to get slaped by Arwen)

24. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Jul 8, 2002
    Great post!

Boy, poor Legolas doesn't know what he's getting himself into.

25. Jade243

Mar 31, 2002
    I regret to inform you all that I will no longer be posting this story at this particular point in time. While I thank you all for your wonderful reviews, I can't seem to get my mind to work on it with imposed deadlines and with all the things that have popped up in my life that have commandeered my attention. I will certainly continue to write on it until it is finished, at which point I will, in all likelihood, re-post it later.

I truly dislike stories that end abruptly in the middle of a story, and I had really hoped not to become one who did such things, but it is my belief that since it was basically just started, it will not be as bad as if I had it much further into the story. Again, I apologize to those who truly enjoyed this story, and I thank you for the support you have given me.

If anyone would like to keep in contact with me concerning this story and its progress, please feel free to PM me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.