main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A place on the Webs for Star Wars Fans (read: nerds)

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by KnightOfGrey, Aug 14, 2014.

1. KnightOfGrey

KnightOfGrey Jedi Youngling

Aug 14, 2014
    <----My Avatar says it all.

Howdy y'all.

I figure like most of you guys, I've been a fan of Star Wars since I was a kid. I think the first EU book I read was Truce. I remember I was on a fishing trip and saw it in the store. It said Star Wars and I was like "yeeeeaaaaah!!!!" Been hooked on the EU ever since.

I can say I've read a lot. Timeline wise I've read most of the books before NJO, though not some of the newer Stuff like Dawn Of the Jedi. My favorites so far has definitely been the thrawn trilogy, x-wing series, and I've founds lot of love for the Bane Saga.

I've always wanted to read the newer books that happen after NJO, but I remember starting to read them as they came out and after the moon incident I literally threw the book out a window and said I was sticking to everything before that. Now though I really want to read the latest books so I'm swallowing my fanism ( horse pill) and reading it. I'm currently on Balancing Point. I'll admit it's not too bad, though Jacen drives me up a wall with his page long inner thoughts while Anakin and Jaina are fun because they do things. Yes I already know what happens to the siblings (I AM a fan after all, which Means I spend a few hours every few days reading random things on wookiepedia).

Anyways. Hello y'all. Hope to have fun here.

Oh, I made my user name years ago after coming up with some story on a group of force users who didn't believe the force was good or bad (aka the living force).

2. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    Welcome! My advice is not to bother with anything after NJO, because they are literally the worst thing to come out of Star Wars that isn't the Holiday Special. Dark Nest Trilogy isn't too horrible, but Legacy of the Force? Eugh. Fate of the Jedi? Double eugh.
    I too had a negative reaction to the moon incident. Basically there are two major camps, those who hate everything after Vector Prime, and those who hate everything after The Unifying Force. :p

3. KnightOfGrey

Aug 14, 2014
    xD

I am not looking forward to the dark nest. I'll admit that the covers for...which ever series is like white and sin city esq is tempting. I haven't spoiled TOO much of after The whole uh...darth....(sigh)...but I did hear something about Daala. It seemed to me that they (again reading wookiepedia) brought more space combat back. But maybe not.

I hope the new new Eu will be good.

4. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    You mean Fate of the Jedi? Do not give into temptation, that way leads to madness.

And where Daala ends up is...:oops:

If you haven't read Kenobi, go read it. It's amazing.

Anyway, sorry if I'm coming off as unrelentingly negative. Welcome to the board!

5. DL44Jo

DL44Jo Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 7, 2014
    Hi KnightofGrey! Welcome - I'm new here too and you're going to love it here! :D I have loved most of the SW books I have read too - they were all between ANH and 15 years after ROTJ and I've heard things like you said which made me decide not to read anything beyond that. I really liked Truce at Bakura as well - I was surprised to find a few tears escape my eyes as I was finishing it. :p My favorites were the Thrawn Trilogy as well and the Jedi Academy trilogy along with several others but I'll refrain! :p A newer one (legends) that I really enjoyed was Honor Among thieves. I just checked out 'I, Jedi' from the library - I heard from several people that one's good and it was written by Michael A. Stackpole who did the first few Xwing novels. :] Like you I am also excited to read the first new canon novel - A New Dawn. There is a member here that was able to get their hands on an early/signed copy and they said it's hard to put down! The new series Rebels is looking better and better as well - I have the feeling there will be more adults in their 30's anxiously waiting for that than there will be kids lol - me included! :p Hope to see you in the threads around here! :]

6. KnightOfGrey

Aug 14, 2014
    Thank you both for the welcome ^_^.

Kab I think you are being insightful and helpful. Time will tell of I even get that far. I mean it's all moot since Disney is stopping the current EU right ? :)

DL I did read I Jedi. It took me a google search to remember but it's actually sitting in my shelf downstairs. I thought it too was a great story!

I feel I'm gonna enjoy it here. No lie :)

DL44Jo likes this.
  7. DL44Jo

DL44Jo Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 7, 2014
    Oh very cool thanks! I need to plunge into it! But first I need to tear away from this forum! lol Wish me luck! :p

8. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    Welcome to the boards

I stopped reading the books after Dark Journey. My favorite out of the NJO is Conquest. That was a really good one. I think they really messed it up at one point I just got turned off of it.

Any questions please feel free to ask.