main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Planet Forgotten (JA, w/ Obi-torture)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Ty-gon Jinn, Apr 9, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Croaten

Croaten Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 20, 2000
    No, it would never ever ever work under no circumstances.

2. Avene

Avene Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    Motti, sure, I can understand someone not wanting hip hop in a Star Wars film.. But saying that rap sucks is wrong. You shouldn't judge something you don't understand. There's a whole lot more to rap and hip hop than irritating artists such as Puff Daddy, or whatever you may have seen on tv.

Now, I could easily say that pop music or country and western suck, but they don't. They're just types of music that I don't exactly enjoy listening to.

As for your 'No talent' comment. Well, that's like saying that the people making films who post on this board have no talent because you think their movies suck. Of course they don't, but neither do most hip hop artists.

Learn to be more tolerant, and you'll find the world to be a much nicer place to live.

3. Nathan PTH

Nathan PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2000
    Okay, I've got to reply. I wasn't intending to, but these stereotypical blanket comments of "nothing but Williams" and "all rap sucks" have pressed a button.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I'm thinking of using Too Legit to Quit in the credits of my upcoming CGI project. I was wondering what rap songs you would suggest go good with SW?

I would suggest not using that *particular* song, since it's highly recognizable, but if it works, go for it. It is, after all, your film and you can express your "vision" of SW in whatever form you want. Others be damned.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Rap song with Star Wars? Definetly a no no!

Why not? And if it is "definitely a no no" when what about techno? Or ::shrug:: country? Or, basically ANYTHING non-Williams? We've never seen anything like that in GL's films, but does that mean that it shouldn't, by any means, be included. I seem to recall a time when people were annoyed that a black man was playing a prominent role in the Classic Trilogy back around the time ESB came out. It was a definite "no no" back then. Funny how when people started realizing that SW is a diverse galaxy with many diverse cultures, people stopped complaining and assumed there can be as many skin tones in the SW universe as here. The same goes for music. Who are you, or anyone else posting, to say that music like rap can't exist in the SW universe, or if it does, that it's still not fair game for a film meant to show someone else's original ideas of that universe?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Well Techno and metal worked well with both the PTH trailers. I think rap could work, but it deppends on the song and how you use it. Its just a matter of matching lighting, visual mood, and sound together. sometimes it works, sometimes it clashes. Experiment.

Damn right. In fact, though some people hated it, I think the fact that we used my joking "let's use Bawitdaba" as a serious decision gave the trailer a feel much closer to our vision than using Williams would have, especially the ending laughter of Kid Rock before Kris' "It will be glorious" line. If you're wanting to express your mood and your interpretation of the SW universe, you should use all at your disposal--visual, musical, etc. If others don't like it, ::shrug:: screw 'em. For every 1 person who hates your music, you'll find 2 or 3 apathetic and 2 or 3 who really like it.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>A quick suggestion- leave rap in it's own little galaxy far...far..far....far...far...far...away. If you need music to match any SW-type pic, stick with the classics that inspired John Williams- namely Wagner, Beethoven, Mozart, etc. Trust me, rap really doesn't belong in SW.

See above. (Wow, the narrowmindedness is just out in full-force on this issue, isn't it?)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Yeah, but what if it was one of Jabba's entertainers rapping in Huttese?

Precisely my point above. It's a diverse galaxy. It almost has to exist by default. But since we've not seen it in the films, people shy away. Step out of your perceptual boundaries, folks.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>As for going with the standard John Williams music.. well, yes, it's ok, but can be a bit boring when you hear it so many of the fan films.

Exactly. How many times have we seen Williams music scored for certain sequences and scenes in the LFL films twisted into fan film settings where they really don't match the flow at all and simply seem like they're used out of obligation. In many cases, this *detracts* from a fan film, not enhances it.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Oh god no! Don't put a (c)rap "song" in a SW film! That would be like putting feces into a perfectly good apple pie. Leave rap and other no-talent forms of expression out of S

4. kal dahr

kal dahr Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2000
    Good show Nathan.

5. GilesP

GilesP Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 20, 2000
    Good points (almost) all around. I was interested in knowing what kind of music Motti likes, just to satisfy my insatiable curiosity of what is and is not relatable to feces.

-Brian P. Gefrich

6. Short Round McFly

Short Round McFly Jedi Youngling star 6

Nov 13, 1999
    AMEN PTH! They have just as much talent to get them more than the money they need to raise a family(Millions). So I wish I had that little talent if that's what other punks say. If you mess around with Jedi Rocks from ROTJ, you'll find out it really isn't a rock song. It's like a Huttese version of Forgot About Dre. I'm really serious on this, it's like Auggie's Municipal Band and Palp's theme. I'd like to see Jabba's court doing Forgot About Dre in english though hehe.

I saw one trailer for a fan film, I forget which, that had some badass heavy metal music which actually kicked some *** . Now if heavy metal could fit in SW, so could anything else :cool: In the words of Nathan the PTHer, "Just because you never heard it doesn't mean it don't exist in the SW galaxy" or something like that "If I'm not mistaken sir*Threepio*"

7. The_Scream_Man

The_Scream_Man Jedi Knight star 5

May 1, 2000
    OK, I gotta admit I was gonna skip[ over this topic as well, coz I really done like rap, but me an Shorty have been chattin so I thought Id check it out, and I couldnt believe some of this stuff!

Nate, as per usual, I agree wit ya on most things (dude, if u got ICQ, Look me up! 21774641). Im not a big fan of rap and hip hop either, but it has its place, same as most music types!
    Now, personally, im a rock fan, but older stuff. Guns N Roses, Aerosmith, Van Halen, ACDC...This is stuff I can listen to for hours at a time! But at the same time, there are song I hear on the radio which i hear and go "thats kinda cool". Recently Ive been getting into Foo Fighters, Blink 182, Rage against the Machine and the Offspring. As well as that, selected "pop" songs have caught my ear, inluding Backstreet boys, nsync, Brit Spears and Hanson. Now dont get me wrong, I am by no means a fan of these bands, but they have songs that I hear and enjoy. I bought a couple of Brit Spears singles, 1 nsync one, and stugff like that, just coz they are cool songs!

Now, u can put any damn song into your Star wars flick that u like! if u want MC Hammer, go for it! U want Tupac; knock yourself out! I aint gonna but em in my movie, but that doesnt mean u shouldnt! And Ill still watch it! There are alot of Star Wars songs that get on my nerves, but people use em, and it works. We're using some in ours as well!

I guess all Im saying is dont confine yourself in either direction to your music. Dont exclude non-williams like stuff, but also dont exclude anything else. And dont stick a song in coz u like it, make sure it fits into the stroy and mood of your film! We have several SW songs, as well as Blink 182, Bush, techno from the matrix, possibly nsync, and Rage Against the Machine. Just make it fit!

8. Motti

Motti Jedi Youngling

Mar 20, 1999

9. Nathan PTH

Mar 11, 2000
    ::looks at Motti's reponse::

Saeed, I'd just like to point out that we've finally seen 2 people in the last few days who post even longer messages than I do. ::smirk::

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Well, thank God we have such an enlightened agent of the Thought Police, to correct any unorthodox opinions we might have, such as you, around.

You forget. I wasn't attacking your opinion. I was attacking your portrayal of a generalization as fact. Huge difference. In face, as you may recall, I even said:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Saying you don't like something is one thing. That's your opinion. But to label an entire genre of artists as "crap" or trash, or whatever the term-of-the-moment happens to be isn't opinion, it's stating it as fact, and anyone who has an ounce of sense can tell you that there's very little ignorance greater than giving a blanket label to a diverse group.

But, I'm sure you'll hit that later, so, moving on...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>First of all, get off your soapbox Nathan, this isn't a NAACP meeting, it's a SW bulletin board.

As you'll note, I also said:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Basically, I don't mean to sound like a soapbox *** ,

When I get on a soapbox, you'll know it.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I happen to disagree with the "nothing but Williams" statement.

As I noticed. You'll note that I was responding to the entire thread at once. It was only when we hit your generalization (and there are other sharing that, btw) that I moved into that area.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>But, please, limit yourself to QUALITY music.

As I said, it's a matter of opinion. Telling others that they shouldn't include rap in their fan film because it doesn't live up to your *opinion* of what is and is not quality music, though, is not your place, nor is it to generalize and give the blanket declaration that rap is crap/non-talent/etc. as presumed fact, when it's merely opinion you're trying to pass off as a declaration that everyone should adhere to.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I find it amusing that since you really have no basis for an argument you immediately turn this into a racial argument to scare those who are afraid of being branded "racist," "bigoted," "prejudiced," and "ignorant." This discussion has nothing to do with race, much less what people thought of Billy Dee Williams playing Lando Calrisian. Your statements on this matter are totally irrelevant. We are discussing the quality of music, not Lando, or who makes the music.

I was doing nothing of the kind. Perhaps you missed my point with the Lando example. General, narrowminded people in that "era" of SW fandom used generlizations and stereotypes (and their own prejudices against, in that case, black actors) to argue against Williams playing a hero in the SW universe, just as you're using your generalizations, stereotypes (and own apparent prejudice against the rap genre) to argue against rap in fan films. In the former, the naysayers learned later how much of an asset Williams and his interpretation of Lando were to the SW films. The implied point, which you were apparently not astute enough to catch, was that perhaps the same naysaying attitude (in this case toward rap in SW fan films) will also prove incorrect. As in teh earlier case, all you can do is try and see if it works. Shooting it down before it's attempted is ludicrous and could deprive fans of a good thing, just as canning Williams would've deprived fans of his great Lando performance. Get it now? Shall I draw pictures?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Fair enough, but don't complain that people don't like your cake when crap was one of the ingredients. You have to remember that others have a ri

10. The_Scream_Man

May 1, 2000
    like I said before, Im not a real rap fan. but thats just me. There are some songs that I have heard (rap ones) that werent bad, but as a whoile i dont like it. But that doesnt mean i dont think they have talent! Hell, I couldnt do it. And Nate, sorry man, but your posts are still longer thn his!
    As for the song, we are lookin at the possibility of using "bye Bye Bye" By nsync as the song during the credits. Basically, I liked the song, and bought the single, and when listening to it, one of the B sides (for those who dont know, a B side comes from the extra songs that used to be on the back of a record single. One would have the song, the other would have extra songs, called B sides. U probably new all that, but I feel important now) is ByeByeBye but with no lyrics, just the tune. And it sounded really cool, and I could see credits rolling to it. So I decided to try an get it in. So far, It aint workin, but who knows?

11. Motti

Motti Jedi Youngling

Mar 20, 1999
    ::vomits upon reading the stupidity in Nathan's reply::

12. The_Scream_Man

May 1, 2000
    U both are thinkin about this to much....

13. Nathan PTH

Mar 11, 2000
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>U both are thinkin about this to much....

Amen to that. But, since his last post didn't really rebutt anything I'd said in the previous post, we can handle his "I'm not portraying opinion as fact/I'm not ignorant of the facts" argument (quite a few paragraphs) with one simple quote from "Motti" himself:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Rappers are rappers, they are all no talent hacks. I don't care where they're from or what color their skin is, they are all talentless.

You be the judge.

On another note, though, Scream Man, you'd asked about me having ICQ. I don't use it at the moment. I used to, but with AOL being my main access to the net and AIM being available, I got rid of ICQ after not using it for months. If you happen to get on AOL or to download that free AIM program over at http://www.aol.com,www.aol.com, drop me an Instant Message. I'm usually on AOL as "Jk th Rppr" or on AIM under another name that I can give you through E-mail (it's the name I tend to use when I'm working on something and want to only let certain folks IM).

At any rate, this "hippy" (LOL) is off to work.

--Nathan Butler
    Co-Writer, Prelude to Hope
    Writer, Second Strike

14. BigChris

BigChris Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2000
    &lt;QUOTE&gt;Rappers are rappers, they are all no talent hacks. I don't care where they're from or what color their skin is, they are all talentless.&lt;/QUOTE&gt;

I'm sorry, but this is far from the truth. This form of music has been around for nearly 20 years. If rap/hip-hop artists didn't have talent, they would be long gone. It would have been just a fad, like other types of music that have come and gone in the last 20 years. You have a right to state how you feel about rap music, I have no problem with that. Then you stated that rap/hip-hop artists have no talent. I'm sorry Motti, but 20 years of music history proves that your statement is completely incorrect.

Have a nice day!

Big Chris

[This message has been edited by BigChris (edited 05-25-2000).]

15. tony the jedi

tony the jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 6, 2000
    This is an endless arguemnt that fails to enhance the overall purpose of the TF.N Theater message boards. You can think whatever you like but the long and detailed posts are going no where and it's time this is dropped. If Motti and Nathan want to fight, let them do it with lightsabers in a fanfilm, not here on the boards.

16. Short Round McFly

Nov 13, 1999
    Here's how I'm planning to do it now on(the plans changed kind): Rap song on the trailer and Jon Bon Jovi song(I'm his biggest fan) in the credits :cool:

17. Nathan PTH

Mar 11, 2000
    Nice choice, McFly. Any idea which JBJ song you're wanting to use? (I'd suggest JBJ for PTH but my co-CCPers would flip, heh.)

--NB

18. Short Round McFly

Nov 13, 1999
    Blaze of Glory!!!

19. movierookie

movierookie Jedi Youngling

Mar 28, 2000
    Anybody can do what they want in their own fan film. Personally, I just can't picture Star Wars being Star Wars with rap, metal, hip hop, techno, country, blues, punk, jazz(even though John Williams started out as a jazz musician), or anything but classical style music. I don't think you should only use John Williams, but to get that Star Wars "feel" in the music(and the music is half of Star Wars), you need that classical "familiar" music, to make that far away galaxy feel not so far away. Originaly, George Lucas was just going to use classical music in the soundtrack to Star Wars, until Steven Spielberg recommended John Williams to Lucas. Lucas was looking for something that would bring some familiarity to his unfamiliar world. Something timeless. Just imagine if Star Wars used disco music in the sound track. That would have terribly dated the movie, and I truly think it would never have been as popular then, or now, as it became. Lucas himself said that the music is an important part of the movie, that the movie and the music could play alone as a silent movie without the dialogue, and you would still know what was going on.
    Just my two cents.

[This message has been edited by movierookie (edited 05-25-2000).]

20. The_Scream_Man

May 1, 2000
    lol
    Star wars to disco.
    "Cmon Chewie, lets get down n boogie our over to the Falcon.! Right on, far out..."

21. Tokugawa

Tokugawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2000
    Is there rap in the SW verse? Uhm, why not? Should other styles of music (other than classical) be used as a soundtrack? I don't think it should--and I'm sure that most fans would agree.

However, it's your film(s) do whatever the hell you want. Just don't expect me to like it.

-Drew
    t0kugawa@aol.com

22. Han_Duet_1

Han_Duet_1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2000
    Whats next a couple of jedi having a good old fashioned hoe down?.

23. Abby...someone

Abby...someone Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2000
    hahahhaahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!

Oh man this is funny

Sorry but just the fact that this whole "conversation" happened i find extremely humerous. Who cares?? Dress up as jedis, hit each other with lightsabers, blow ***t up, and play whatever you want to listen to. Its that easy.

now excuse me i've gotta go dry my eyes.

Abby....someone

24. lokmer

lokmer Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2000
    Ummm....Abby, shutup, you'll give the plot of our movie away! tongue.gif just kidding! BFTZ is more like a Road Runner cartoon than a Blow **** up film....if there is in fact any difference between the two...
    &lt;run&gt; &lt;hide&gt; &lt;closes bomb shelter doors&gt;

&lt;muffled&gt;
    -Lokmer

25. Jedi_Iesin

Jedi_Iesin Jedi Youngling

May 5, 2000
    Well in my movie Im putting a Christina Aguilera (blessed) song for a contribute to the Jedi's Brother (whos also a jedi )for teaching him the ways of force. Of course he dies at the end so its the perfect song for the perfect ending.

And on a side note why does everyone take a post and turn in it to something a college profesor would say. The guy only asked for what a good rap song would be for his movie just give him a name and reason why it would be cool to use. If you dont like paticular type of song then deal with it cause you may like something someone else hates. And beleive me Ive been there many of times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.