main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:WA A Play Festival

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by monkey_abbot, Feb 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monkey_abbot

monkey_abbot Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2002
    Hey

My school is having a little play festival in 2 weeks, its called "In Their Own Write"

Basicly, current and past students are given the chance to write and/or direct a short one act play, or have some short films shown off inbetween each play.

I have written and directed a play for the festival, and its called "Ode to the IrrationaL"
    Its about the struggle for individualism in a private boarding school.

Whilst the plays are mainly humourous they do cover some interesting topics such as the Immaculate conception, the devil taking a holiday, the bad luck attached to the name Macbeth, a satire of the film Usual Suspects, a slightly more serious look at identity and schools (my play) and a musical revue.
    so if anyone's interested, a ticket costs $11 and it allows you to come to any night.

The dates are as follows.

Monday March 15
    Ode to the Irrational
    Macca
    What If

Tuesday March 16
    The Unusual Suspects
    Yin and Yang
    Musical Revue

Wednesday March 17
    Ode to the Irrational
    Macca
    What If

Friday March 19
    The Unusual Suspects
    Yin and Yang
    Musical Revue

The short films are mainly Claymation - with a Leggo-mation thingo in there too.

If anyones interested, i've scanned a copy of the order form herewith the address to send it to, or you can contact Hale School by phone on 9347 9777

Thats enough advertising from me today. :p

2. FaLLeN-AnGeL

FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    That sounds like a pretty fun night! I wonder if we can get the money together to go watch them... You're a talented guy monkey, and I'd love to see your play!

3. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    ...Not really on monkey's original topic, but since it's a play and not a movie I thought it should go in here...received from my girlfriend, and we're planning to go either 14 or 15 April 2004 if anyone's interested...the venue's a little *cough* underventilated but it's a nice, intimate theater...

TEMPORO

Wed - Sat : 7th to 10th and 14th to 17th APRIL, 2004.
    8.00pm
    The Sun Room, Sixth Ave & Whatley Cres, Maylands.
    Tickets : $14 Full, $12 Concession
    BOOKINGS (08) 9362 4080

TEMPORO is a futuristic tale of corporate intrigue, in which the boundaries of science are pushed beyond the fantatic and towards the sinister.

One night in the dark offices of the Temporo Corporation, Jeanne has become suspicious of her employer's activities. But suddenly she is caught and seemingly shot dead by a strange woman called Jania.

Later, her replacement Hillary arrives for her first day at work, at what she believes to be a research firm in the field of Virtual Reality. She meets the overbearing Mr Ortega, his simpleton brother Derek, the wise-cracking computer programmer Syntax, a brilliant but serious scientist named Rico, and the down to earth secretary, Sue.

Elsewhere, plans are being hatched to subject Jeanne's body to a dangerous procedure. Hillary finds out that all is not as it seems at Temporo, as she learns of Jeanne's disappearance, and discovers that Temporo's employees can apparently exist between its local and Japanese office at will.

Jeanne is still very much alive, but for how long is uncertain, as it appears her body will be playing a central part in Jania's unnatural procedure. But something goes horribly wrong as it appears to turn Jeanne, and then Derek, savage.

Before Hillary can discover what is going on, Derek chases her and Syntax and Sue through a Portal at the heart of Temporo's operations . . where they emerge where they could not possibly imagine . . .

BOOKINGS NOW OPEN PH (08) 9362 4080

4. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    Sounds like an interesting little play. I'll tag along.

5. Master_Kaustin

Master_Kaustin Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2002
    Im up for it as well :) depending on work.. sounds like something i wanna see...

6. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    I think Michelle and I will be seeing it on Thursday...will let y'all know.

BTW There seems to be a growing Yoda theme among the icons in this group. I think it's time I joined it.

7. Master_Kaustin

Master_Kaustin Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2002
    Cool Saintheart.. just give me a holler :p

8. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Well, "Temporo" is over.

As for a review? Well, amongst the earliest dialogue in the movie is the line "Had enough?" ... to which the audience's answer at that early stage must have been something along the lines of "Yes, yes, oh Jesus no more, let me out of this frickin' theater."

Not a bad script as such, or a bad idea for a story--just bloody horrible acting. Oh, and fight choreography that makes the Marx Brothers look like Neo by comparison.

Apologies to everyone who had to watch this stinker. Never mind...they're calling for auditions for an adaptation of "Monstrous Regiment", so who knows...theater might not be totally dead among the scifi/fantasy community... :(

9. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    Ah, yes. Temporo. What can I say about such an interesting play .....

... nothing much, now that I think of it. As Master Saint (I have to call him that from now on, in case you were wondering) mentioned, the idea behind it is good, but the execution was poor. Still, a good laugh was had all round.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.