main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"A powerful Sith you will become" - Sidious' choice of words

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Lord_Pilaf, Jan 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Pilaf

Lord_Pilaf Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 9, 2006
    I was rewatching ROTS on DVD recently and only just thought about something for the first time. When Darth Sidious is inducting Anakin into the Sith Order, he momentarily speaks in the archaic backwards dialogue of Master Yoda. Instead of "You will become a powerful Sith", which would be modern Basic, he says "A powerful Sith you will become", which is the more archaic and outdated form of speaking, allegedly.

Does anyone have any theories about his choice of words here? Was he mocking Yoda's speech or do you suppose the ancient Sith spoke this way as well? We know that Palpatine was only 63 at the time, remember.

2. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    i think it was supposed to sound more sort of important if you take my meaning. the way he puts emphasis there. sith goes first, person comes second...

supposed to sound ceremonial, i guess.

3. OMoT33

OMoT33 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2004
    I think Palps used this to show how powerful the Sith actually are. If he said "you will become a powerful sith" it means he could just be one of many powerful sith, blah, blah...

He says "a powerful sith you will become" Not only is the "YOU" emphesized, but it makes Anakin seem like one of an elite organization.

4. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    Does anyone have any theories about his choice of words here?

Keep in mind, hes just taken a beating from his own Sith lightning. Im amazed he didnt sound like Jar-Jar after getting his head caught in the pod racer beam. :p Kind of like saying "A powerful Sith you will become" while holding your tongue. :D

JediFan215 likes this.
  5. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    The lightning might explain why his voice sound s like that, but it shouldn't mess him up to the point where he starts misplacing words.

6. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    I wasn't aware of that, but if it's true, it reinforces the idea that an ancient power (possibly the Darkside itself) was speaking through Sidious.

7. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Yes! The Raspy breathing! The growls!

"The boy you trained. Gone he is. CONSUMED by Darth Vader."

[image=http://starwars.wikicities.com/images/thumb/2/2c/300px-The_New_Dark_Lord.jpg]

8. JASTERSLEGACEYV2

JASTERSLEGACEYV2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2005
    well it might be force of habbit, he want's 2 sound wise and also lure in jedi who have been trained and thr idea of wise is yoda and thats how he speaks so i think the whole backwards thing is force of habbit.

9. darth_krumbum

darth_krumbum Jedi Youngling

Feb 23, 2004
    i think it was just meant to be sidious' way of mocking yoda.

peace,
    Krumbum

10. bjs847725

bjs847725 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 8, 2005
    How do we know Sidious is 63 years old?

11. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    I've never really thought about that... interesting. :-B

12. farrellg

farrellg Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2005
    I think the wording is for dramatic effect. Palpatine is performing an ancient Sith knighting ritual and using more archaic speech.

13. bjs847725

bjs847725 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 8, 2005
    HOW DO WE KNOW SIDIOUS IS 63 YEARS OLD?

14. Curufinwe

Curufinwe Jedi Master star 2

Jul 14, 2002
    I've noticed the backward speech too, but I've simply written off as sounding dramatic and theatrical. Kind of like how Vader says "What is thy bidding my master?"

15. LuvTheChosenOne

LuvTheChosenOne Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 7, 2005
    First of all, when Sidious states that, he seams to be getting some level of satisfaction from it. Like he is speaking in the third person. It's so creepy the way he treats Anakin like his prize posession. I agree that it was to make Anakin feel like he will follow a long line of feared warriors.

16. i_dont_know

i_dont_know Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2005
    When Palpatine says the word "Sith" Anakin's eyes open as if on cue.
    I may be reading too much into it, but this gave me the impression that saying "Sith" is actually an important part of the ceremony.

17. Curufinwe

Curufinwe Jedi Master star 2

Jul 14, 2002
    Or it could be Anakin thinking to himself: "Boy, I've done it now. Qui-Gon saved my life from a Sith and now I am one."

18. ObiVanKenobi

ObiVanKenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 27, 2004
    He says Henceforth in this scene too. I think it's more of a "ceremonial language."

19. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    This is a good point. But I think there is an intentional mirroring of yoda's strange inverted syntax. Plus, it just sounds really cool. Particularly the way Palpy growls the word powerful. [face_devil]

20. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

The character's bio states that he was 50 in TPM. 60 in AOTC. 63 in ROTS. 82 in ANH. 85 in TESB. 86 in ROTJ. He just looks like he does because of the strain in trying to kill Mace Windu, exerting a lot of anger, altered his face.

I don't think it was mocking Yoda, considering that he's not even there. I think it's just the way he spoke.

21. Lord_Pilaf

Lord_Pilaf Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 9, 2006
    Perphaps. I just find it odd that this is his one and only time speaking this way on film.

He does, however, speak this way once in the ROTJ novelization, when speaking about Yoda. He says "This Yoda...lives he still?" while probing Luke's mind about his training. Then he says "AH. He lives not."

22. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    well, his choice of words is always a bit on the heavy side of eloquence, isn't it?

23. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

Wait a minute. Did the archive footage viewed by Yoda and Obi-Wan have sound or just video? I don't really recall how they found out his Sith name was Darth Vader. Doesn't make much sense to me that they would immediately know his new name....

Carnage

24. Darth_Manic

Darth_Manic Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 27, 2005
    On the holographic footage you hear Sidious call Anakin,Lord Vader.

25. Ceethreepio

Ceethreepio Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2003
    its just his way of saying "you will become a bad***"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.