main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends 'A Precarious Balance' (SJRS Episode VII Challenge)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ginchy, May 20, 2014.

1. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Title: A Precarious Balance
    Disclaimer: Star Wars belongs to Lucasfilm and Disney.
    Notes/Challenge info: May/June 2014 SJRS Challenge: Write Luke’s opening scene in EP 7 (note that it does take place in 34 ABY). Include an opening crawl of some sort giving some context. And seeing that this IS the Skywalker-JADE Revival Society, include our favorite red headed female.

*Thanks to taramidala for looking this over and kicking my butt to write it!! ;)

SPECULATION/SPOILER WARNING: (Stolen, with permission, from Taramidala--we are thinking along similar lines. Great minds, lady!!)I have made speculations regarding the characters to be played by Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, and Domhnall Gleeson. You are hereby warned.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away…

Three decades of peace have persisted since the fall of the Galactic Empire.
    Luke Skywalker has reestablished the Jedi Order, and dozens of Jedi Knights preserve the peace of the fledgling New Republic.
    Released from back-to-back Presidential terms, Luke’s twin sister, Leia Organa-Solo, has agreed to help train the newest students at the Jedi Temple. Instead she finds her brother consumed with worry, for he has felt the Dark Side breach the galaxy, and their family, once more…

Leia exited her speeder on the roof of the Jedi Temple, her braids flying in the wind. She smiled at Artoo Detoo as he rolled up to greet her with a squeal, and winced only slightly when See-Threepio followed behind the astromech. “Hello, Artoo, Threepio.”

“Princess Leia,” the golden droid said her name with his usual pomp. “How good it is to see you again. Master Luke will be very pleased, won’t he, Artoo?”

Artoo beeped in agreement, and Leia’s smile grew. “I’ll be very happy to see him, too. It’s been too long. How we can all live on the same planet but see each other so seldomly, I don’t understand.”

She walked toward the access door, and the droids followed her.

“Yes,” Threepio said, punching the elevator’s button for the ground floor, “since Mistress Mara’s untimely death we haven’t seen much of anybody, have we Artoo?”

Artoo rocked back and forth and gave a mournful moan.

“I miss her, too.” Leia tried to smile again. “But now I’m here to spend time with Luke, and to teach, finally. I’ve been looking forward to it.”

“So has Master Luke.” Threepio shuffled out of the elevator when the doors opened. “Master Ben was, too, but since he’s left--”

"Left? Ben's gone?"

Artoo squealed, and Threepio hastily tried to change the subject. “It’s nothing to worry about, Princess. Master Luke will fill you in. But first, would you like to go to your suite? And will General Solo be joining you, or--”

“I think I’ll go find Luke first.” Leia paused as the protocol droid started to follow her. “Listen, Threepio, would you mind to get my luggage from my speeder?”

“I’m sure that Master Luke can send some of the padawans while I help you settle in.”

“Yes, but, Threepio, I trust that you’ll be extra careful with my belongings.” Leia smiled her best diplomatic smile.

“Certainly, Princess Leia. Artoo will assist me.”

Leia watched the droids as they left, bickering together as they had always done. She exhaled and smiled, but her eyes were troubled as she remembered Threepio’s words. She walked through the Jedi Temple, not as grand as it had once been, rebuilt more for practicality than for grandiose beauty. But there was still an elegance about the place, and a sense of renewal and completion in its very being.

She paused outside of Luke’s office, cocking her head to the side when she realized he wasn’t in the room. She frowned and stretched out with the Force along their twin-bond and found his presence ensconced in the small courtyard just beyond the cafeteria. Setting her bag on his desk, she noticed that his holocube was active, playing past images one after the other in the darkened room.

Leia smiled and watched the old images cycle. She and Han and Luke on Endor, young and happy to be alive. Luke on the day he took possession of the Temple, clothed in his brown robes. Mara Jade, bearing Anakin Skywalker’s lightsaber. Mara and Luke, on their wedding day. Ben, her redhaired nephew. A family holo of she and Han, Luke and Mara and Ben, when she had been pregnant with Jaina. Then a holo of Ben and his friend Toivo Myk, with Jaina in the middle of them. A newer holo of Luke, looking old before his time, his arm around his son, both of their eyes haunted.

Leia left the holocube playing and walked to the courtyard to find her brother.

He was standing in a pool of light from the decorative lanterns that hung from the towering trees. When Luke had taken back possession of the Temple he had been pleased to find the courtyard, and set about making it a place for meditation but also a place of beauty. He didn’t look up as Leia entered, but fingered the petal of a purple flower, keeping his back to her.

“Mara loved these flowers,” he said, standing from his stoop over the velanie bush. “Ben used to pick them for her so often that I worried we’d never see the bush in full bloom.”

Leia studied the bush, lush with the dark flowers. “It’s lovely.”

Luke looked at it and nodded. “It looked better before.”

Reaching a hand for his shoulder, Leia paused at the last moment before touching him. “Your feelings are jumbled, brother.”

“As they’ve been for the past year.”

Leia frowned. “Not...not like this.” She looked up into the deepening twilight, watching the scores of speeders pass. “Something is wrong, with you. With the Force.”

“You’ve felt it, too.”

“I’m not sure,” she admitted. “I’ve never been as attuned to my feelings as you are.”

Luke half-smiled. “Jaina says the same thing.”

“Han says that Jaina’s attuned into her feelings too much,” Leia countered. “She’s a dreamer, like her uncle.”

“For a time I lived my dream.” Luke opened his arms to his sister and hugged her. “I’ve missed you, Leia.”

“And I you, Luke.” Leia leaned her head against his shoulder. “Where’s Ben?”

Luke released her and stepped back. “I don’t know.”

Leia eyed him closely. “But you suspect his whereabouts?”

“I’m not sure. He’s...mercurial. Like his mother. And since she’s been gone, he’s been hard to reach.”

With a sigh, Leia sat on a bench, arranging her robe around her. “What aren’t you telling me, Luke?”

Luke sat beside her. “Sometimes I wonder if Father ever sat here, or if he ever stood in a particular spot in a classroom or even the cafeteria.”

Leia gave him an exasperated look, but played along. “I’m sure he did. He also did things in this Temple that we wouldn’t want to know about.”

“Yes.” Luke was quiet for a moment. “Ben has been angry. His anguish has turned to anger.”

“And you’re...concerned.”

“I don’t believe he’s…” Luke trailed off. “I know that he’s not a Sith. But since Mara’s murder, and this renewed riff with the Imperial Remnant, his anger at the Force, at the galaxy, at me, has grown.”

“Ben could never be of the dark side.” Leia shook her head. “He’s too sensitive, like you. And he’s as practical as his mother. This feeling in the Force, it has to be something else.”

Luke reached out for his sister’s hand. “I don’t believe he could fall, either. And to make sure of it, I plan to leave tomorrow morning. I’m going to find my son.”

“Then I’ll be with you--”

“And so will we.”

Leia turned to see Jaina and Toivo standing in the doorway of the courtyard.

“I’m surprised you haven’t already left.” Luke eyed the young Jedi, a smile spreading across his face as Artoo and Threepio butted around from behind them. “Ah, I see now why you couldn’t leave.”

Toivo shook his head. “Even a threat to dismantle Threepio doesn’t work any longer, Master Skywalker.”

“Why I never!” Threepio turned his head toward Luke. “Master Luke would not allow it.”

Luke chuckled, but hid it behind his hand. “Of course not, Threepio.”

“Mom,” Jaina said, reaching out to hug Leia. “I was looking forward to seeing you, to showing you around the Temple the way I know it. But now…”

“Don’t worry about it.” Leia smoothed her daughter’s hair back. “You look so grown-up. A Jedi in every way. Just wait until your father sees you.”

“I wanted to go with his battalion. There are four embedded Jedi. But something told me I needed to be here.” Jaina looked at Luke. “And now I know why. Ben’s always been almost a big brother to me. We have to find him.”

“We’ll find him,” Luke said, hugging his niece. “I know just where to begin our search.”

Toivo raised a brow. “That’s good, then. And when we do I’m going to kick his--”

“Toivo,” Luke reprimanded his former padawan mildly.

Toivo didn’t back down, but did look abashed. “I just know that this darkness or whatever, is …. there’s just too much good in Ben for him to be dark.”

“I think we can all agree on that,” Leia said, ushering them all toward the door. Luke tarried behind, and Leia turned to watch him snap a velanie bloom off the bush.

Luke held the flower up for her inspection as he met up with her. “A reminder,” he said, to her unasked question. “For Ben. For me.”

Leia nodded. “Come on, brother. Let’s go and get your son.”

-end

Moar Notes: I’m imagining this scene would take place after an epic opening space battle featuring Han and the four embedded Jedi that Jaina mentions (along with a glimpse of the villain). Luke's awesome crazy smack-down of the Force would probably come closer to the end of the film (and my goodness I can't wait to see that on screen.)

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Woot! =D= =D= Excellent characterizations and surmises and interactions [:D] I would so not! complain if this turned into something longer [face_batting] (duh!) [face_love]

Gemma and ginchy like this.
  3. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    ginchy, ginchy, ginchy...BRAVA! I love it all. From the droids to Leia and Luke's conversation, to the kids... That bit with the photos kills me. And the subtle twist of Luke and Mara having baby Ben before Han and Leia having Jaina? So simple and brilliant. And I want more Toivo. :D Great job, lady!! =D=

ginchy likes this.
  4. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I love it. Why can't the movie be like this? Then everyone will be happy. :D

aleja2, Nyota's Heart and ginchy like this.
  5. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I love it! I eagerly await seeing VII, and I hope it's as good as this. :cool:

Nyota's Heart and ginchy like this.
  6. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    WHY ARE PEOPLE KILLING OFF MARA?!?!?! Ginchy, I did not expect this from you!

But seriously, great job. I found it very entertaining. I love the idea of Ben struggling with darkness. And awesome title.

Now, I don't know whether I should get revenge, or rectify these evils.

Gemma, Nyota's Heart and ginchy like this.
  7. ginchy

May 25, 2005
    I figure no way in heck Mara is going to be in the films (sadly) but that they might throw us a bone with the name Mara, or at least Luke having had a wife and Ben having red hair. That being said, if Mara is in the films (or even mentioned) I will LOSE MY MIND and squeeeeeeeeee like the dickens and probably get kicked out of the theater. [face_laugh]

8. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Nice story, but I also want to see Mara...but you are probably right and we will be lucky just to get her name referenced in the movie.

Revanfan1 and ginchy like this.
  9. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    What, all two of us? ;) [face_laugh]

ginchy likes this.
  10. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Sadly, I agree with you. I can't see Mara being in the movies either. I'm hoping they atleast mention her (or that Luke will have a son with red hair) so we can have her in the new canon books, but even that is questionable.

Gemma, Revanfan1 and ginchy like this.
  11. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Perfect!

ginchy likes this.
  12. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    I too love the part about the holos running. Every time I start to clean and run into a set of old pics - it stops my cleaning and memory lane takes over. The piece at the end with the bloom from the bush is perfect.

I agree with what people said about Mara. I had so wanted her to be in the films; but doubt she will be. (There's still a small part of me that is hoping they have not shared the entire cast with us and gave us what they did to shut up the fans--- guess it's a wait and see.)

Loved the piece, Ginchy and if you decide to add to this - please tag me in.

Revanfan1 and ginchy like this.
  13. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Oh, this hurts so good, I love it! Love Jedi Leia, grieving Luke (so painful yet so perfect), Jaina and Toivo (Boyega I assume?) and the setup for future events. Love it!

ginchy likes this.
  14. aleja2

aleja2 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 4, 2005
    Oh, the emotion in this piece! I love it! And a great set up for a big adventure. If we do get a "Mara" in the films, this is how I think it will go - it seems to be the SW way to kill off mothers either off screen or horribly on screen (Shmi, Beru). I hope for more, but am fully prepared for nothing :)

Thank you so much for sharing!

ginchy likes this.
  15. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Nice description of how everyone is still coping with the fallout from Mara's death. It was good to see it from Leia's perspective, and have the continuation of the friendship between her and Luke from the OT.

I like the new generation that you've cobbled together from the EU and the casting info. Have to say that while I wish they would use more of the EU than it sounds like they're going to, I love reading these AU's that it has inspired.

ginchy likes this.
  16. ginchy

May 25, 2005
    Nyota’s Heart: Thank you!! The thing is, I kinda want to write more but I’m not sure of the plot. We’ll see. Thanks for the interest!!

Taramidala: Thanks, lady!! I liked the part with the pictures, too. And I’m glad you liked Toivo. I have a feeling he does not put up with Skywalker guff. LOL Thank YOU for making me write this. It’s kinda fun to think of a galaxy without the EU, actually—just picking and choosing the best pieces (ahem: Mara).

JediMara77: Hey, gal!! I know, right?? I hope, hope, hope for a Skywalker child. Please, Force, PLEASE. Thanks!!

Revanfan1: Thanks!! I cannot wait for Episode VII. It’s too far away!!!!

Briannakin: hahahahaa I can’t help it. I want Mara in the films, but…. You know. I knew you’d like the bit with Ben. I do wonder what his story would be, if he is in the films. Thanks!!

Jedi_Lover: It’s such a waste of a great character if they don’t at least give Luke a redheaded child. I mean, imagine the ‘new’ EU without Mara. I just…can’t. It’s just wrong. So I hear you. I want Mara, too. Thanks for reading, gal!!

Jade_Pilot: Thanks, lady!!

Gemma: My Mom has one of those photo frames that plays old photos all day long. It made me think that would be a perfect way to show the audience the past without having to dwell too much on it. I’m glad you liked that and the part with the velanie bush. Thank you!! And if I do continue it, I will tag you for sure!

JadeLotus: Yes, Toivo was Boyega in my mind. I looked up the name Toivo, looking for a name that meant “Hope”. I’m assuming he’s the lead, though I still want LUKE to have a SON who has a large part!! Thanks, gal!!

Aleja2: Mothers don’t really get much respect in Star Wars, do they? I’m with you. I live in hope for Mara, but am trying to get on board with having nothing (it’s rough). Thanks so much for reading!!

Kahara: I’m enjoing all the AUs, too! It’ll be interesting to see, as the ST goes on, how people cobble together the EU and canon, like you say. I like the idea of Luke and Leia being close as adults, having that time that was robbed from them as children. Thanks so much for reading!!

Revanfan1 and aleja2 like this.
  17. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Oh ginchy! You are songood at breaking my heart in a most beautiful way...

ginchy likes this.