main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A problem with NJO Jedi Morality

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth_Hospodar, Aug 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HALCYONERA

HALCYONERA Jedi Youngling

Aug 2, 2001
    Ghenis, as I have not yet got a copy of Rebirth, I am going on what has been said about Rebirth by posters. Referring to Kyp, it is not so much that he is striking back at the Vong which does need to happen but the way he went about it, he lied to the people who's aid he was trying to enlist to strike at the Ship womb when if he had just asked for their assistance they could have struck at the Vong without Kyp's deception alienating the Jedi from allies within the New Republic Miltary and Senate. No-one likes being manipulated.

Regarding Kyp & Luke is it just me or are they acting in the same way that Qui-Gon & Yoda did, with Kyp more concerned for the moment and Luke looking at a more long term approach. A balance between Kyp's and Luke's viewpoint is necessary to defeat the Vong and unite the Jedi.

SuncrusherX regarding Obi-Wan & Yoda hiding during the Jedi Purges, it is unfair to judge their actions until we see their motives for hiding from the Emperor and his Jedi Hunters. Also it likely by the time the Jedi Purge began, the Emperor had appointed his allies/pawns in control of the Miltary & Governmental Hierachies so simply eliminating the Emperor & Vader would not defeat the Empire, one of their Subordinates would most likely take control. It needed a combination of a fully trained Jedi and a miltary strike force to wear down the Empire.

2. Jarik

Jarik Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 21, 2000
    Kyp believed that if he didn't lie they would all just ignore him like they always do and do the exact opposite of what he suggested. He felt that a little lying was the only way to get this done and I agree with him, although I do wish it could have been done without lying.

Luke, Wedge, Han, Lei, etc. have all lied in the past to get something good done. They all reinterpreted orders to help the most people especially Wedge.

3. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Haly...
    "No-one likes being manipulated."

While perhaps true, it doesn't have any bearing on the fact that they were united, though.

4. suncrusherX

suncrusherX Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2001
    They may have had high moral reasons for hiding, but they manipulated luke into being their weapon against the empire. I'm not saying that's bad, it's what kyp did to get the job done.

5. bobabooie

bobabooie Jedi Youngling star 2

May 3, 2001
    Like I said I don't know why this is so hard to understand. The Jedi can not attack.

Now there is a difference between not attacking, and not defending. If someone throws a punch at a Jedi they can block, and punch the person back, they are defending themselves. However they can not walk up someone (not matter what they have done in the past) and hit them for no reason. When the Vong attack, the Jedi fight back, however they can't mount a huge attack against the Vong without using anger and aggression - thats the darkside.

Look at it this way. There is a lot of talk about Kyp turning to the darkside, why? Because he is aggressive, he attacks, he will make the first hit - these are all darkside attributes. If Luke let the Jedi attack the VOng without being attacked first (and I mean taht battle, if someone hit you a week ago you aren't in the "right" to hit them the week after).

6. suncrusherX

suncrusherX Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2001
    It's not the first hit! They're being over run!
    "and I mean taht battle, if someone hit you a week ago you aren't in the "right" to hit them the week after"

yes, you are. qui-gon was attacked by maul, and weeks later had the council's blessing to search him out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.