main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A problem with using the force to deflect blasterbolts...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Domenic, Sep 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Domenic

Domenic Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 3, 2001
    well yeah, but how does the living energy bind non-living things together, allowing them to be sensed and deflected?

2. jedimasterED

jedimasterED Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 10, 1999
    That's a good question.

I seem to recall Corran Horn describing his perception of the Force as something like a grid. Like sonar or radar, the Force "picks-up" objects one of two ways.

If something's presence in the Force cannot be felt because it is not alive or is "without the Force", it's existence can be felt because the Force is all around it, thus indicating where the object is by sensing where the Force is not (like the ysalamiri "bubbles").

Now, differentiating between what has a Force presence and what does not would require more discussion and exploration than I have time for at this moment. But one thing I can be certain of is this: the blaster bolt does not need a Force presence to be sensed with the Force. That is, if it is "void" of the Force it can be detected.

My personal theory is that Force Users are able to sense the inherent danger in a blaster bolt whizzing at them and their enhanced abilities allow them to slow things down and track the bolt.

However, I also vaguely recall some Force User describing being able to sense the energies gathering at the mouth (for lack of a better word) of a energy weapon, thus knowing when it was going to fire. So, perhaps a Force User can detect the energies of a blaster bolt and track them that way, as well.

3. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Its energy. Some Jedi (Corran, Vader, etc)are just really good at taking pure energy that would cause them harm and disipate it around them. I don't see why it couldn't work. And its just another part of the mysterious power of the Force seen in the movies. It adds to the affect Lucas wanted, so no harm done.

4. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Mastadge : Well, you explained it approximatively as I have read it, so I won't try to write down my version here. I don't know, you might be right, I might be right, who knows... It's just that I'm studying at the Swiss Institute of Technology (equivalent of the MIT), and I have a tendency to take what I read there for granted... Maybe I shouldn't...

5. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Well, I'm studying at the American Institute for the Mentally Deranged, and I take absolutely nothing for granted. :D

6. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    Yeah, I noticed. :D

Seriously, what're doing for studies ?

7. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Right now I'm taking a course on Light and Relativity, so this stuff is fairly fresh in my mind.

8. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    Ah okay... Now I understand... :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.