main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Proposal

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Connemara, Jan 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    If you did, it's way back in the recesses of my subconscious, where it will never be seen again.

I actually have wanted to meet JCers irl since practically day one. I just never had the guts to do anything abut it until now.

2. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    Once again let me register my disapproval toward an idea such as this.

I choose to believe that none of you actually exist, and therefore proof of the existence of any of you would most likely destroy my world view and possibly cause me to take the lives of several small tree squirrels.

3. Moriarte

Moriarte Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    Hrm, sorry that I have not read your thread all the way through, but what about the logistics involved? There would have to be some way of raising money, organizing phone calls and e-mail messages, deadlines for signing up...almost too much to think about let alone organize .net meetings...but either way, I think it would be a great idea and super keen if it was pulled off! :D.

We all have a love for SW and of all our friends that we have made here, I'm sure we can find people that would like to help organize this, at least have a meeting to discuss about the feasability of it and possible leaders for it. Like a pre-pre-pre-meeting.

:)

Ciou-See the Sig

4. Connemara

Nov 18, 2000
    Yeah, right now what I am looking for is a discussion committee, like you said, Moriarte. Anyone who wants is welcome to be a part of it. Keep in mind, at this point being a member of the committee means only discussing it, no one is required to do anything. You don't even have to feel obligated to come to the event once it's planned...I am only looking for some good minds willing to pick this apart and help me to plan this to be the best it can be.

If anyone's interested in the job, lemme know here or PM me. :)

Oh, and Jim- I'm almost tempted to come see you, just to watch you kill those squirrels. :p ;)

5. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    Perhaps it would be easier to do this in conjunction with a major event. Lots o' nerds have allotted money and vacation days to certain cons. Big cons in the US bring people from everywhere. Dragon Con in Atlanta and Comic Con in San Diego are the most popular for FF and JC people from looking at the who's going threads. I know you posted going to Chi Chi's after D*C isn't what you have in mind. Good, because no one I know is in shape after it to go out again. Maybe something more like what the Rebel Legion and 501st and FF do: have an evening get-together planned for members of those clubs attending the con. It'd save attendees money if they are already going to the events, and gives an extra incentive for those on the fence.

6. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    I agree with the administration on this issue, even though bobafemme doesn't represent it in its entirity.

7. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    I can barely represent myself at a con. ;) I'm just looking out for pocketbooks and getting the most out of travel. Also, as Seb pointed out, it is very expensive and time consuming. I think it's a great idea though.

8. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Meeting at the Celebrations is a fine concept, but I ask, why wait for that?

It would probably take that long to originize something like this, that is, in order to make it an event truly worth flying people in from around the world. An event such as this would mean a LOT of work (and money, mustn't forget the money).

9. Connemara

Nov 18, 2000
    Ok, in update-

I'm going to find out if there are any major cons in my general area during the summer of 2004, if so, I'll schedule the reunion to happen at the same time. If anyone knows of a major convention in the Pennsylvania/Maryland/Virginia/ and I suppose Ohio area during the summer of 2004, lemme know, that'll be very helpful.

I'm also in the process of forming the aforementioned committee, I think I've already said this, but I'll say it again- anyone who is interested in advsing or brainstorming on the reunion, please lemme know, I'd love to have you as part of the committee. Just PM me to get more info. :)

10. Mara-Jade-Skywalker

Mara-Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 21, 2000
    I'm somewhat interested in helping, though I'm not sure if I would be able to come... I'll have graduated that June (2004) so I might be able to actually travel on my own and attend an event like this (without being harassed by my parents :p ). ;) I'd like to at least help you guys kick around a few ideas...

11. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Living in the Pennsylvania/Maryland/Virginia now, I'd like to help with this.....but after this summer, I'll be living in England.

I plan on coming back to visit friends quite often, however, so I might be able to make it to this.

12. Carter-TFN

Carter-TFN Ex-Staff, Admin Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2001
    Connemara, this is a good idea but you should work with the FanForce admins on this since it is their area of expertise.

13. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    They have the Wizard Con in Chicago every year. Not exactly in the area in question, but maybe not a bad idea...

Just a thought.

14. Connemara

Nov 18, 2000
    Well, if I can't find anything closer, I'll see what i can do about that. But whatever I host won't happen as far away as Chicago. People would hafta drive/travel some from there to get here.

And Carter- I did repost this in a couple FF topics, and am working with some of the reps and so forth there. :)

15. Darth_Destructo

Darth_Destructo Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2001
    Oh, good idea! :D

I like the idea about the JC nick T-Shirts as well... If you're afraid of being recognised, you can wear a sock T-shirt. ;)

16. Bobafemme

Nov 25, 2000
    What reps have you contacted?

17. Connemara

Nov 18, 2000
    Well, Charis is a member of my planning commitee. I wasn't entirely sure which reps to contact, so I posted it in FF Comm and FF Activities, waiting to see who all was interested or had ideas.

If you know some reps I shoudl contact, let me know.

18. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Thsi sounds interesting. Unfortunately, I probably won't attend ... there's this small matter of living halfway across the world, Besides, my parents would not even consider letting me go. They'd think I was nuts to fly around the world to meet some people I met online.

19. Bobafemme

Nov 25, 2000
    You should contact the city reps for the cities you are looking into and the RSAs for the region (ie Strawbary, Rox, or Mystery Sith for North East or Myself, Darth Jurist or Sebulba-X for Midwest). It's great that Charis can give time, but if you are pulling off a real life meet, you might want the guidance of someone in that region.

20. Connemara

Nov 18, 2000
    Yeah, I certainly plan to contact the reps/mods of that area sometime soon. :)

21. Mara-Jade-Skywalker

Mara-Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 21, 2000
    oh, btw, I live in Rochester (NY) so I guess I'm not too far away from where this might be. ;)
    I know I can't really get to any real life meetings for planning this, because I'm 16 and don't have a car or parental support to do something like this yet... I'd like to do stuff online to help plan, though, because I'll be 18 when this is supposed to happen. ;)

22. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    If you can get Viking Hall in south Philly, I will sell everything I own to come.

23. Connemara

Nov 18, 2000
    //Weighs everything else against the possibility of seeing Saint f2f

Well of COURSE we'll get Viking Hall for you!

So...what is it?

;)

24. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    It was originally a bingo hall. It's now famous for being ECW Arena.

25. Connemara

Nov 18, 2000
    And why am I not surprised?

A bingo hall? Lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.