main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Proposal

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Connemara, Jan 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thraxwhirl

Thraxwhirl Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    I'd love to do it, but I know I wouldn't be able to. New York's a helluva long way from me, and I can't travel alone(it's difficult enough leaving the house on my own). And as I don't know any other JCers this(eastern) side of the Atlantic, I don't really fancy asking my mother to take me. Heh.

Anyone here in England wanna gimme a lift?

I thought not.

Sorry, Connemara, but good luck with it. I'll be with you in spirit...

...and filled with murderous envy.

2. Thraxwhirl

Apr 14, 2002
    But in all seriousness, I would absolutely LOVE to attend, and will even here and now offer to pay the airfare for any fellow Brit willing to help me get there(subject to having first established relations, friendship and trust etc.)

Any takers? Free flight to New York?

3. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    Thrax...if you can pay to get here...why cant you come?

4. Thraxwhirl

Apr 14, 2002
    It's a physical problem rather than a financial one.

I can PM you if you're interested.

Hey!! Where'd my icon go?

Oh, it's back again.

5. Connemara

Nov 18, 2000
    Ahh...I understand. Well, Charis is on my commitee, and I'm hoping he will attend. I'd contact him if you're looking for someone to go with you. He's the only other Brit I've talked to about this, though, so besides that, I can't help you.

Ok, ANNOUNCEMENT

I've set up forums dedicated to the planning and discussion of this event (much thanks to Darth_destructo for allowing it to be hosted on his forums), and anyone is welcome to go there, post and check out the latest news, etc.

JC/FF Meet Forums

6. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    Charis is a she.

Easy mistake to make though. ;)

UKS

7. Charis

Charis Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 29, 2002
    [face_laugh]
    Aye, it is an easy mistake, but I don't like the female icons as much as this one.

I should be able to attend the next meet :)

8. Thraxwhirl

Apr 14, 2002
    I see. Sorry. :(

9. Connemara

Nov 18, 2000
    Why sorry Thrax?

Omg, Charis I'm so sorry...I swear one of the mods called you a he, too!

10. Connemara

Nov 18, 2000
    Up :)

And just to let everyone know, we're going to have to move the planning forums again, so don't get too fnd of them yet :p

11. Darth_Destructo

Darth_Destructo Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2001
    Connemara got banned while asking for info. at one of the FF boards.

May we please have an official policy on this? I was supposed to be helping her ask for info., and so were some others.
    Will we get banned as well?

Also, please consider unbanning her, she did get a more or less 'go ahead'(abeit unofficial) from as high up as Hama and Carter.

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I would also like clarification on this. I was under the impression that she got permission.

If this is not the case, the ban was certainly warranted. However, if she had received even tacit and non-explicit permission from other JC staff, I think this should be reversed considering she WAS posting for a general FF purpose.

(another small point would be IF permission was given -- was it supposed to go into FFComms, FFC or FFA instead of individual FF chapters?)

13. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    Many people have been banned before for the same offence. She been here for over 2 years. She knows better. Of course, if permission was given, then that person messed up, in my opinion.

=======Canadian Party=======

14. Darth_Destructo

Oct 2, 2001
    Why is it an offense?
    She wasn't exactly 'spamming' per se, from what I read, it was a pretty detailed and cordial post, asking for infomation about places of interest generally around FF areas.

If I were going to Japan for instance, would I be wrong to post in the Japan forums asking for some friendly information from Japanese FanForcers? That is not spam, imho.
    It may be interprepted wrongly, but it's not like I'm doing it to harm anyone or any FF chapter.

I'm just confused.
    Can we please sort this out so that we can carry on with our planning?
    If we can't get support from FF, then please just tell us so as well so that we can try something else. :)

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    She wasn't exactly 'spamming' per se, from what I read, it was a pretty detailed and cordial post, asking for infomation about places of interest generally around FF areas.

The spamming would be the multiple postings of the same thread across multiple FanForce chapter boards at the same time.

That is clearly defined as spam in the TOS as was previously mentioned.

What still needs clarification is whether permission was sought and received, not whether it was spammy goodness. ;)

16. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 27, 2000
    I'm well aware of some problems concerning her before but surely common sense must prevail?

She didn't seem to be wanting to cause any harm with this earlier in the thread.

or perhaps I've been out the saddle too long. ;)

17. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I agree. Did she have permission? If so, get the people who gave her permission to say so.

18. Jjanda_Solo

Jjanda_Solo Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2001
    (A reply to the first post in the thread, from someone too lazy to read the rest of the thread. :p)

A few months ago I would said yes, this is an awesome idea, you could hardly come up with a better idea.

A few months ago I think I was an addict.

The JC is a nice place to come from time to time, make a post, use up a few spare moments, keep up with an acqauaintance or two.

BUT THE JC IS NOT LIFE.

Come on people, don't they have homework and friends and dates where you come from? Don't you have people you would rather spend a weekend with than a bunch of SW fan strangers?

Basically, looking back at how I used to be, and how a lot of people on here still seem to be, I am concerned. There is so much more to life than this message board. Yes, you can have some friends and acquaintances here, but really, do they mean that much? Don't your real life friends mean more? I think they should. Don't your real life hobbies mean more? I think they should. I realize I'm not one to talk, or at least I didn't used to be, but it's something to keep in mind.

THERE IS A WORLD OUT THERE, OUTSIDE OF THE JC, AND IT'S AWESOME.

That said, I think this reunion thing is a kind of cool idea. If it wasn't too far away I might actually come to one of those. It would be fun to meet some of you and all. But I never again want to become what I once, was, a JC/internet addict. I actually have a real life now, and I want to keep it.

Perspective is everything.

19. Mara-Jade-Skywalker

Mara-Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 21, 2000
    She said that she had contacted some Fanforce admins and reps. I think strawbary may have been the one who banned her... I noticed that a thread she had made in my Fanforce's forum was locked by strawbary with an edit that "spamming is not allowed." Since I'm pretty sure that strawbary doesn't get into Comms often, she probably has no idea that this is a serious event... I PMed her, but she hasn't read it yet.
    I'm pretty sure that my Fanforce would express some interest in such an event as we have one of the larger and more active Fanforces in the North East. ;)

20. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    What exactly did I give permission for? I've been gone for two days (cable modem was down), so I'll need to get caught up on what happened.

21. strawbary

strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    Ok, it was just brought to my attention there was a discussion on this here so let me clear up a few things.

Connemara got banned while asking for info. at one of the FF boards.

For one: Connemara posted in several forums not just one. posting the same topic in multiple forums IS spam.

for two: No one contacted me regarding any permission to SPAM the NE forum.

Since I'm pretty sure that strawbary doesn't get into Comms often, she probably has no idea that this is a serious event...
    For three: Actually I do read the Comms thread quite often. Regardless of how serious an event may be, it still needs to follow the rules of the TOS.

I understand spam may not have been the intention here, but nonetheless it is.

Connemara could have contacted myself prior to posting I would have been able to advise her and direct her the best way to approach getting the information she needs in the NE region.

I think this event would be a great thing if it can be done and I dont mind helping if needed someone just drop me a PM. ;)

Hope that clears up a few things.

22. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    <cough>

Banning may not have been the appropriate step to take. In some cases PM's can be much more effective then an automatic response. After all since it is quite clear her intent was serious wouldn't it have been better guide her to more appropriate methods rather then treat her like someone who had posted that s/he just lost their virginity in 12 different forums?

While it might be definiable as spam the intent was quite clear where as with spam the intent is usually to put a big neon sign on oneself.

Slavish devotion to the letter of the law ignoring the intent is rather unfortunate.

Finally, if you want to appeal to authority, don't sppeal to the TOS from which the word spam is completely absent.

23. Carter-TFN

Carter-TFN Ex-Staff, Admin Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2001
    Banning her was harsh. She'd been advised to seek advice from FanForce mods and forums.

I don't think she had maliciously intended to spam other forums. If she had overdone it, closing the thread would have been fine.

24. Darth_Destructo

Oct 2, 2001
    For one: Connemara posted in several forums not just one. posting the same topic in multiple forums IS spam.

for two: No one contacted me regarding any permission to SPAM the NE forum.

I can respect the rules of these boards, whether *official* or not, and Mods and above must sometimes make a decision on the fly. Most good boards will have a clause that states that a Mod'd word is final.
    Maybe I wouldn't have considered it spam, and maybe I would have.
    @shrugs@
    Your call.

However:
    1) Could you have clarified with her before banning her?
    2) If she didn't contact you, could you have contacted her?
    3) A PM takes a few seconds to a minute to write, I wrote you one just yesterday. ;)

I know that you may still think that it's spam, but let me just explain...

She was going to individual boards not because she wanted to spam, but because she simply wanted everyone to see the notice.
    She didn't have to do that, going from board to board isn't really easy and in this case involves more hard work than simply posting in the FF forums.
    Why is she doing all this work?
    Because she wants the event to succeed so that everyone can have a good time.

Of course, "It's still spam."

25. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    I've seen this happen many times in Fanforce. Of course she did it so more people would see it. That's always why spammers post the same thing in more than one board. And yes, often their intent is to do good. I remember, for example, when Lady_Lucas posted threads in FFs all over the world on 9/11/02 telling people to remember. Was she trying to do good? Yes. Did she annoy the hell out of a whole lot of people? Yes. Did she break the rules? Yes. It's the same here. As has been said, Connemara has broken the rules before. This isn't her first banning. She's also been warned many times for different things. I think in this case, a ban is certainly warranted. She isn't new here. She knows better.

=======Canadian Party=======

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.