main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A puzzling puzzle.

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by Darth_Steven, Jun 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Steven

Darth_Steven Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 2002
    Hello everyone. I'm kinda stuck here. It's not really a sci-fi model question but it is a model question.

Does anyone know how to make a rubix cube using 3dmax. I've got the cube part built out of 27 chamfer boxes but I can't for the life of me figure out how to rig it up to dummies to animate it so it turns properly on both axis'. Sounds easy enough to do, but I can't figure it out!!!

If anyone has attempted this or can figure out how to do it I would be greatful for any help or explanations.

thanks
    Steve

2. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Does MAX support dynamic parenting? Where an object can move from one heirarchy to another in the course of an animation? A good example would be a character picking up a glass of water from a table.. to start, the glass is just sitting there, then it has to be parented to the character's hand in order for him to pick it up.

That's pretty much how you'd do it here. Make a turn of each side of the Cube, then dynamically parent the blocks on the side that you want to turn next, so when you make the next turn, the blocks now move with the second object.

3. Darth_Steven

Darth_Steven Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 2002
    I'm not sure if it does....

4. Corrin_Wyndryder

Corrin_Wyndryder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 2001
    Use the Curve Edtitor option for animating. It helps control keyframe animation. It'll take some time, but it is a true miracle worker. The button is right there on the left side of the time line scrubber.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.