main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST A question about the Force in the ST from my 8 year old nephew!

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Damo, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Damo

Darth Damo Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 18, 1999
    Midichlorians aside...

I watched the entire prequel trilogy with my 8 year old nephew over Christmas for the first time since ROTS was in the cinema. Something really resonated with me that the little man asked me.

He basically wanted to know if when a Sith killed a Jedi or vice versa, did they go up a power level because of it. Therefore... Did Luke go up a level when he destroyed the death star.

Now to me as a 36 year old it made me think about Sega and Nintendo games I played albeit from about 14.

So I have been thinking about it for days now and I am wondering if Anakin went up the levels when he read house in the jedi temple just after he became Vader.

And if I think about it through the eyes of a child it makes perfect sense to me.

So in the Sequel Trilogy... will we see people going up the levels? Plus.. all the talk of collecting Sith artifacts. If you think about it like a gaming child... you collect the artefacts and go up the levels until you are ready to take on the big boss...

His name is Caolan Murphy and he'll be delighted to get some feedback from you guys... Plus if you can take a little bit of time to try and explain your opinion with simple language that he can read it would be great for his reading!

2. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  3. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Um, no. I don't see any Jedi or Sith power leveling in the movies, sorry.

4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, there's no concept of "leveling" in the movies... or video game style "bosses" either, for that matter.

Darth Zannah and Andy Wylde like this.
  5. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    If you want to package it in the terms of "experience makes you better" then yeah, you could say that they level up. They don't absorb the power of anyone they vanquish or anything. They just get the personal evolutionary experience of fighting and defeating a powerful foe. That experience and learned knowledge does indeed make you better.

So, I guess theoretically you could say that there is a "level up" process.

6. Red_Leader_313

Red_Leader_313 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 30, 2014
    While I don't think that one force-user killing another gives them a "level-up" in power, I think there is definitely something to this idea when considering Kylo Ren's alleged obsession with Sith artifacts.

The leaked line of dialogue, "you'll never be as powerful as Darth Vader" lends a little bit of support to the idea that there is some sort of "power" to be derived from the objects he is collecting, as if the force has some sort of residual quality that sticks to these objects.

With that being said, I think it's great to watch Star Wars with young people, and I'm glad you're sharing that experience with your nephew. I love the ideas that spring into children's minds. They're completely free from the cynicism and insecurity that infects us all after a certain age, giving them a pure and insightful reading of all this stuff. Keep sharing these movies with him, and keep encouraging him to form his own theories and ideas.

My nephew turned 5 this year and is just beginning his long journey into Star Wars. I cannot wait to take him to see TFA.

7. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Only if they achieve a "Flawless Victory!" And remember, "There can be only one!"

8. plaidphoenix

Nov 6, 2013
  9. ErikBridger

ErikBridger Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 3, 2014
    Well.. Sidious seemed to gain more power during and after he killed Mace Windu...perhaps in a more subtle way he absorbed some of the power Windu had...
    And it seems that Sith artifacts and Jedi temples (see latest episode of Rebels) can also add up to your 'level' in some sense..

So..pretty good theory Caolan! I like it :)

10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Definitely agree with this part. My son is 8 and has been a SW fan since he was 3 or 4. :)

11. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    It's certainly an interesting point and something I've considered before. I wouldn't discount it. ROTS certainly hints towards something to that effect so it can be left to individual interpretation.

"My powers have doubled..."

"Do what must be done, Lord Vader. Do not hesitate. Show no mercy. Only then will you be strong enough with the Dark Side to save Padmé"

Will it play heavily into future stories? Probably no more than it already has but with how things were heading in clone wars towards the end of the series with the exploration of how the force works I wouldn't completely say it won't.

12. danmcken

danmcken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 7, 2003
    The darkside users did seem to become more powerful the more they killed but at the same time they lost more and more of their humanity and their connection to the lightside.

13. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    LEVELLING UP!!!

[​IMG]

14. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    No, that was just him cutting loose. He feigned weakness to lure Anakin to his aide; once Anakin acted against Mace, there was no need to pretend to be weak.

15. Ben R

Ben R Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2000
    [face_plain]

This is an example of how much influence the video game era has had on how kids think.

Sarge likes this.
  16. TheChosenOne095

TheChosenOne095 Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2015
    No, but there're ranks inside the sith and jedi order, though these are not achieved by killing jedi or siths, you get "promoted" when you have reached certain level of control of the force.

17. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012

Movies, especially action-adventure movies and video games are structured EXACTLY like each other. The biggest difference is that the video game has more filler and is more of a mentally active entertainment..

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Now, I want an even specialer edition where we can see each combatant's life meter bars steadily decreasing at the top of the screen during battles.

19. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012

If they want to roll with nostalgia.

20. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    cue Steve Rogers voice: "I understood that reference."

21. Max@TSWP

Max@TSWP Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 21, 2014

Its a risky little idea but its got sex. I say we go with it.

[​IMG]

MODified: You gotta break the link in the pic.

DarthSyverus likes this.
  22. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    But then do your enemies scale in level when you level up?

23. plaidphoenix

Nov 6, 2013
    That's what Star Wars needs! A Frenchman playing a Scot who gets taught by a Scot playing an Egyptian!

Sarge and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  24. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Whew, I thought this thread would get derailed or something. [face_relieved]

TheBBP likes this.
  25. Ligenot

Ligenot Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 27, 2014
    Combo breaker.

TheBBP likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.