main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

a question about the snake monster in episode 1

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by jarjarfan69, Oct 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jarjarfan69

jarjarfan69 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 26, 2003
    ok remember there was this really brief scene in episode 1 when luke leia han and i think the robot were trapped in a trash compactor and the death star? well, there was a snake monster in that death compactor, and it doesnt make any sense that it could survive in there feeding off the garbage when the walls were constantly colliding in it would be squashed and dead. i gave this a lot of thought and i thought maybe the horrible creature slithers into some sort of hole or cavern but that doesnt make any cents because the pressure would be so great from the trash compactor trash would be squeezed into the snake's den and the snake would have no where to go. so explain this one i think its proof the star wars series isnt perfect and that episode 1 wasnt as good as a phantom menace. also i really like the snake creature and if you have any more information/fan fiction/eu books pertaining to him i would love to look into them. thanks.

-jar jar fan 69

2. Errant_Vampire

Errant_Vampire Jedi Youngling

Oct 18, 2003
    For starters the snake is called a Dianoga and this is the information that CUSWE has regarding them. I was too lazy to write my own description of the creature. [face_blush]

this unusual mollusk was found throughout the galaxy, living wherever there was sewage for it to subside on. It had seven tentacles and a single eyestalk, and a beaked mouth dominated its underside. The origins of the dianoga have been traced to the planet Vodran, a swampy world where the dianoga has had to develop a tranparent camouflage in order to escape from the planet's large predators. Also called a garbage squid, this species has migrated off the planet, following the scent of garbage to starships and stowing away. They grow to be an average of 5-6 meters in length, although specimens of 10 meters are not unheard of. Their bodies, when unfed, become transparent. They change to reflect the colors of their food once they have eaten.

As for how it could live in the DS's trash compacter, it did have a hole if you will to escape when it was necessary. Remember it is an aquatic creature and it's ability to handle extreme pressures is greater than that of a land organism. That and none of the trash would be able to create additional pressure on it's home, if it is out of the trash compacter's immediate vicinity.

3. SITHlover

SITHlover Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    I always liked the trash compactor scene. Is there an official explanation as to how it got into the compactor? I always assumed to was put there to act as a 'biological filter' so to speak. Similar to an algea eater you would place in a fish tank. Any thoughts?

4. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    BTW...You mean Episode 4, right? :p

Episode 1 is TPM. ;)

5. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    I believe the official explanation is that dianogas are actually a benefit to large trash compactors. They help clean up a lot of excess organic material, making the garbage process easier for the Imperials.

6. jarjarfan69

Oct 26, 2003
    no one has supplied me the answer of how it survived and oops i am sorry for mistake of episdoes thanks for reminding me i am not a huge SW fan infact i a m only a fna of th e phantom menace and mainly of jar jar but i want ot like the rest so that is why i am searching for answers to see why the other movies are liked so much but apparently no one can supply me with the answers i seek so i'm not sure what to do i mean is there another star wars forum why cant anyone just tell me how the snake monster survives the walls colliding in and if there's any EUs about it that's all i want to know i'm a star wars fan potentially and i think this site has an interest in supporting potential star wars fans because you need to keep yourself in business especailly after the last wpisode comes out next year or whenever and then you'll be screwed because where will althe star wars fans come from so please just answer this question and hopefully i'll enjoy star wars and this site can continue to function well as it apparently is now

7. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Okay, I got lost about four times there.

Anyways, we have tried to answer your question and truth be told, I don't think there is an answer to it in the EU. The best I could tell you is that the creature has a little escape hole which enables it to survive when the trash is expunged from the DS.

8. jarjarfan69

Oct 26, 2003
    well i thank you for trying but like i said the pressure would force garbage into any whole the creature may have therefore it cant escape into any hole!!!!

9. DarthDrew

DarthDrew Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 26, 2002
    I will start from the idea that I am the owner of this trash compactor. I buy a dianoga to eat the organic stuff so that I can save space in the compacting process. The first thing I would do is train it (see "Pavlov's dog") to know that that big KACHUNK means that the walls are going to collapse soon. The dianoga, knowing this, would shoot out it's excape hatch which would shut behind it. It would find other Dianogas there and have a nice session witha female Dianoga while waiting for its escape hatch to open again.

Option 2, it's a worm with bilateral symmentry. If I break it in half, it will just become two Diangoas. In that case, who cares! I'll have twice the worm I had before.

Third option, who cares anyway. It's a rodent and inexpensive. I can buy a dozen in the time it takes me to worry about this.

Good enough? :)

10. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    That's not a dianoga, it's actually Jar Jar Binks. After Palpatine rose as Emperor, he had Jar Jar banished to trash compactors across the Galaxy, finally finding a home in the compactor of the Empire's ultimate weapon. Luckily for all of us, he was killed in the blast when Luke Skywalker destroyed the Death Star.

11. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 19, 2003
    I was never good at physics but, if the escape hole for the dianoga is placed near the edge of one of the traveling walls (in full precrush mode), the movement of the wall will sweep over it and not force too much garbage into it as there is very little pressure built up yet and friendly dianoga is spared crushing. I'm also assuming the moving walls have a fairly fine tolerance and vacuum seal built into them so that whenever or however the sanitation crew disposes the wastein the compactor the dianoga is not harmed.

12. Marna_Veign

Marna_Veign Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    If I recall correctly, just before the walls begin to close in on Luke, Leia, Han and Chewie, the dianoga releases Luke and takes off into its home outside the trash compactor.

13. Captain Needa

Captain Needa Jedi Master star 1

Dec 3, 1998
    LOL [face_laugh]

I seriously doubt any casual Star Wars fan would use the term EU....

jarjarfan69=troll or else it's just somebody's evil Halloween sock.

14. porkins14

porkins14 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2003
    Obiously the reason the Dianooga released Luke just before the walls started coming together, was to escape.

15. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Exactly. It didn't want to be around when the compactor started.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.