main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A question concerning proper etiquite in indexes

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Vongchild, Jul 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vongchild

Vongchild Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2004
    If an author submits a group of stories to an index with hyperlinks and summaries different from those provided with the fic, but still mostly the same and written by the author, does the indexer use the author's summaries, which are probably new, or the ones in the story, which were probably written before the story or the author feels they can improve on?

2. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I don't believe there's any official way to do it. It probably comes down to the individual Indexer. I'm sure we'll here from them. :)

3. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    In the A/P index, we use the summary the author provides if there is one, if not we just don't put a summary up.

4. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    The L/M index uses the info provided by the author for the purpose of the index. :)

5. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    Before the Saga indexer here! If I am sent the information, I use that information. But, if I discover the story on my own, I use the infomation provided in the fics. :D

Like Leona said, it really depends on the individual so the other indexers might not do the same. :)

6. Killik_Twilight

Killik_Twilight Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2005
    Beyond the Saga indexer has arrived. Hmm. Well, if I get sent info on a fic, I'll use that, but if I don't, then I'll use whatever is in the story. If you PM me later asking me to edit it, I'll do that, but you have to PM me! Can't just edit your post, because I likely won't see it if that's all you do.

KT

7. Pallas-Athena

Pallas-Athena TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 4 VIP

Nov 29, 2000
    See, that's not really a problem most days :p We're lucky if we find a fic with a summary and we're really, omg-one-in-a-million-chance lucky if the author submits via PM.

Actually, I believe the A/P index's 'official' policy is that an author can submit and request changes to their stories' entries at anytime via PM, so, yes ...

8. Vongchild

Apr 2, 2004
    I submitted info by PM to the designated person and the summaries I didn't want to use appeared... [face_thinking]

9. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    I suggest that you contact that person. That person probably just chose the fic summary because it was already there and assumed it was the same or that you wanted to use that one. Contact the person and tell him/her that you would like the summaries changed. :D

10. CarrKicksDoor

CarrKicksDoor Jedi Master star 3

Jan 16, 2005
    When CRPA was originally compiled, we used what was there, or we just didn't put a summary. If the author hasn't pmed the index a form, we'll just copy the original summary (sans any author's notes) and paste it in there. Otherwise, (and this is speaking assuming that whoever is compiling the update has time to do so) we'll write a quick summary ourselves and stick it in there for new entries.

If someone wants it (or anything else about their index entry) changed, all they have to do is pm the CRPA index sock. It may not get changed right away, though--we generally only update/edit the index once a month.

~Carr (CRPA Indexer, J/TK goddess, mark up queen, alphabetizer extraordinaire, not so good at counting ed. or spelling)

11. Pallas-Athena

Nov 29, 2000
    You're probably talking about a daily index, right? The daily's run a bit different than the WR indexes. When I indexed a daily (and this must be true for the other indexers, because I can't think of a better way to do it) I either started on page one and worked towards where the index thread was or from the thread to page one, clicking on every thread with less than 15 replies that wasn't familiar. I picked a certain time everyday to do this so the work load would be about the same and take the same amount of time daily.

Now PMs really throw a wrench into this system. They're usually gotten at a time when I'm not indexing and I don't want to mess with indexing. And then, when I have gotten a PM, I have to remember to be on the lookout for the story mentioned in the PM and be careful not to use whatever information was in the thread but the info provided in the PM. It adds about three more steps to the process. When you're talking about 15+ fics a day, what a nightmare!

I think I speak for every daily indexer when I say this, it is always better to put whatever information you want indexed in the first post of your fic and avoid the confusion of the PM all together. If you want something changed, that's fine, I'm sure our lovely indexers will be happy to do that for you. But, to make things go smoother, put the date that your story was indexed somewhere in the PM and, if you're a really nice person, somehow highlight what you would like changed.

Indexing, especially for the Saga and (less so) Beyond, is a tedious job, and, although your fic means the world to you, it's only one of the hunderds the indexers are responsible for indexing each month. Be kind to them, it's a thankless job.

(wow, I guess I really needed to get that off my chest)

12. Vongchild

Apr 2, 2004
    It was a ship-based index. I've already contacted them and I'm waiting for an answer.

13. Pallas-Athena

Nov 29, 2000
    Ah, totally different beast, then. Forgive my ranting ;)

14. Phoenix_Reborn

Phoenix_Reborn Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2003
    Saga Indexer here. What Pallas said.

15. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    As this takes place in the index I'm a part of and the mistake is ours, I'd like to apologize to Vongchild.

We're still in the growing stages and, I'm afraid, none of us involved have indexed before.

your PM has been answered and the offending summaries removed - sorry for the delay, I work weekends half the time and don't check the computer on days I work.

16. DathomiranAuthor

DathomiranAuthor Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 18, 2005
    Oh no! Okay, I think I have a guess what happened in the J/Z index. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.) I believe the older summaries are currently posted - the ones you haven't edited - because those were there before you PMed me again, and I haven't updated it yet. I can fix it now, if it hasn't already been fixed.... Very sorry about that!

EDIT: The new summaries and etc. for your fics are now posted. My most sincere apologies that I didn't edit it before now; I had been planning to wait until the next update, and I didn't realize you wanted it fixed right away. I apologize again; it was my fault for not editing it before.

17. Vongchild

Apr 2, 2004
    gah... I didn't know they were even in the index before I submitted! That's why I got so upset! Sorry!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.