main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A question concerning titles for ex-managers/mods.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Only-One Cannoli, Jul 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I am aware that the policy has changed back and forth over the years, under different administrations and whatnot. I just wanted to know where things currently stood.

I know right now current moderators are allowed to have custom titles. But I was under the impression that custom titles for ex-managers/mods were not allowed. I don't know why I was under that impression, I guess just because 99% of them have boring titles. Then today I noticed an ex-manager with a very...odd custom title. I've seen 2 total now, the rest still have the boring titles.

So I know this is a trivial thing, and I don't mean to use this as a thread to get on MS' backs or whatever, I just want to know what the policy is and the mods I asked didn't seem to know it. Thankee

2. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    The normal title policies for current moderators, managers, and admins still apply. They are allowed to have a custom title as long as it somehow describes their position.

Under normal circumstances, former mods, managers, and admins are limited to using an approved title. These must include one of the approved titles ("Emeritus", "Ex-", "Former", or "Quondam"), along with the user's former position (moderator, manager, or administrator).

For the anniversary celebration festivities this month, some former mods have requested, and were granted, the use of their old title (e.g. "Magistrate"). These users must go back to using an approved title after the anniversary celebration is over.

3. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    i asked for x-man. 'twas rejected.

4. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Though I was never a moderator, manager, magistrate or administrator--I feel entitled to a title that specifies that I was once a moderator, manager, magistrate or administrator.

Thanks,
    -Seldon

5. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    Ah, ok thanks.

6. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I was told "Retired Empress of Awesome" was out. :(

7. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I totally requested Ex-Hag and was shot down.

8. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    And also, ex-RSAs can have custom titles, so an ex-mod who's also an ex-RSA can have one.

9. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    I asked for Ex-Man. That was shot down too.

10. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    I asked for "sex-man", and got it. But I didn't want to embarrass you guys.

11. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    surely that would come under the 'posting knowningly false information' rule ?

12. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    What unimaginative unfun sacks of astersisks shoot down all those awesome titles??

13. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002

I was shot down for having "ex mod".

Though someone changed it around a lot one day and I think it ended up with the typical "moderator emeritus" title.

14. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Emeritus: retired or honorably discharged from active professional duty, but retaining the title of one's office or position

Magistrate: a civil officer charged with the administration of the law.

My title perfectly reflects my old position considering I was known as 3sa Magistrate during my time. I just don't see the problems with custom titles so long as they're short and come with Emeritus, Ex, Quandam, or Former in them. It's not important that people know what we did, just that we're no longer doing it. Fortunately those four key words and our VIP status reflect that. Nobody will confuse us with current Ninja Mods.

Examples

Ex-Bouncer
    Quandam Quack
    Former Key Master
    Gigolo Emeritus

15. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    I agree with Passel Argentine.

16. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    The only thing I have a problem with is that with titles like those suggested, users may not be able to immediately identify that you are a VIP and not a moderator. With other VIPs, it is very clear what they are by the color of their username and their title. Former moderators are allowed a lot more freedom with the color of their username, so their title must be a clear indication of their status. A title such as "Ex-Bouncer" or "Quandam Quack" is simply not going to do that. Some may argue that using a word like "emeritus" or "quondam" could be just as confusing to some people, but I think it makes sense from a consistency standpoint if all former moderators have similar titles.

17. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I wouldn't have a problem with Magistrate Emeritus, but I think that is a lot clearer than "Ex-Bouncer" or "Gigolo Emeritus", etc.

18. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    HLS is lucky with his choice; at least Magistrate has a level of formality to it. Bouncer doesn't have that, there's whimsy there - as, given the choice, there would no doubt be in many choices. I agree that it's important to have consistency in the titles we use for former moderators, but instead of holding the current line, maybe hold a new one to recognised (IRL) formal terms? That would probably restrict the choices dramatically. Of course, retain the policy whereby the term chosen must be preceeded by 'former', 'ex-' or followed by 'emeritus'.

19. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    But even a title like "Magistrate Emeritus" doesn't really explain why you are a VIP. Neither would something like "Ex-Chancellor" or "Former Emperor of the Universe". Those titles might be clever and fun to have, but they fail at the one thing titles are designed to do: to accurately describe your user status.

20. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Not sure you're right re: Chancellor. It's a single word, speaks of authority, and is definitely formal (no trace of sillyness). Stuff like Former Emperor of the Universe would obviously not be suitable. But... Former Emperor, or Emperor Emeritus I see no issue with. Keep it to single words, recognised for their serious authority. That would allow some flexibility, but not too much.

I'm thinking about stuff that specifically doesn't appear 'clever'.

Truly, how essential is it that the title precisely indicates they were an ex-mod? Provided the chosen word is formal, recognised as being of authority, and accompanied by 'Ex-' or whatever to indicate that power had been removed, then I think the message is clear - even to new users.

21. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    What I'm getting at is that Chancellors and Emperors and Magistrates don't hold any significance in terms of actual positions of authority on the boards. This site has moderators, managers, and administrators.

It's essential because former mods, much like actual mods, are now allowed to use any font color they choose, as opposed to the standard VIP red. We've become more lenient in that sense, which really makes it even more important for former mods to have a clear indication of their status than any other type of user.

22. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001

But nobody cares that we were once moderators, managers or administrators. If you just want to keep track of that, make a list of all VIP's and former volunteer staff and keep it in Comms, the MS or both. Hell, that should be done anyway. What is important is that they understand that whatever we once were, we are no longer. Thus the limited colors and the important titles that say "emeritus, ex, former, and quandam." Those are the key factors. No current mod is going to have ex, former, or emeritus in their title. If we keep those in our titles and make the titles relatively short and with the TOS then there won't be a major problem.

I'd gladly give up colors if I could just have the title "Magistrate Emeritus" should that be a future compromise.

23. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    This.

I'm personally not into fancy titles so much, I really don't care what my own says. But that right there is a good point. I think as long as the title is something of ex-position of leadership/importance, then it gets the point across. It's something of a reflection of the personality of MS I've found in the past. If you want a super serious no-nonsense by-the-book sort of feel, then stick with the choices there are now. If you want a more fun-yet-serious outlook for MS, loosen it up. Either way, that's about all the titles serve to do. In my opinion. Which is not everyone's.

24. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    If 'not confusing new users' is all we're concerned about (and it sounds like it is), just make a thread in the WNU called "Quondam Moderator pillow fight thread" and explain to these newbs that people with one color in their name and odd titles that mean "something about former" and "something about having some sort of power" are in fact, people who formerly held power on the boards.

25. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I might take VIPship if I could have a title like "Used to be a Person of Importance"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.