main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

a question for a more informed fan than myself...

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by hero_of_canton, Feb 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hero_of_canton

hero_of_canton Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 20, 2007
    i was on another post debating a topic, and something made me ask this question in an edit...

anywhere in the Star Wars Saga do we hear the term "Lightside of the Force"???

i have heard "Darkside of the Force" and often just "the Force", someone kindly replied that they hadnt recalled hearing Lightside either.

perhaps someone has heard it in the films and can tell me where or perhaps not

providing it isnt used in the films, does anyone have any ideas or theories as to why not?

just struck me as kind of odd

"KROKER!!!...that was very Branagenesque of you to do something that heroic" (Zap Branagen)

2. Darthgordon

Darthgordon Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 1, 2005
    Nope, I do not believe it was ever used in the movies. I believe it may have been in the EU (though I've read very little EU so I couldn't tell you where). The only time a good side is mentioned in the movies is when Luke says "...I can turn him back to the good side...." in RotJ.

I don't really know why. Maybe GL didn't like the way it sounded. Maybe there is just the Force which is neither good nor evil and the Dark Side is created by sensient beings evil. Beats the heck out of me.

3. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Yeah, Light Side originated in the EU, though I don't know the specific source.

4. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    No message...

5. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    In the films, Luke say the good side, so good side= Light side( or anything that isn't the dark side.)

6. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I'm guessing when the OT was written there was the force [the natural 'light side'] and then the shadow of the force = the darkside of the force.

Now as EU has progressed, and in KOTOR, Theres the lightside of the force which is the good side, The force which is the neutral gray spot and the darkside of the force the bad side.

I don't think in the OT the lightside was coined yet, even luke says like 'how am I supposed to know the good from the bad?' versus 'the light from the dark.'

7. Jamiebacca

Jamiebacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    'Light' side has too much of a judeo-christian lean to it maybe? Where as 'dark' is a more universally accepted description of evil?

In Star Wars, the darkside is relagated to evil individuals, where the "light" side is what surrounds all living things - making it waaaaaay more than just the 'counter'side to the dark side?

Light side could be mistaken for weight comparison?

List side sounds too much like Lightsaber?

Who knows?

Light Side does sound kinda cheesy and crusadey to me anyways, not to mention redundant; so I'm glad they never use it.

8. On_Your_Six

On_Your_Six Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2005
    Yeah I think that the idea of the dark side and why it is referred to as such is because it is a perversion of utilisation of the force. Not only that, but I think it is also a reference to the emotions that one must use to tap into the dark side. Whereas the Jedi are generally in a strange sort of harmony when using the force.

9. Jamiebacca

Jamiebacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    You got it.

Dark Side (Sith) - twist natural engery for gain.
    The Jedi - don't do this, they are at one with the force.

So it's not 'The Light Side' - it's 'How Life Should Harmonize'.

10. Heliosphan

Heliosphan Jedi Youngling

Feb 23, 2007
    The Light side Is the force. The Dark side is a mere distortion of it.

11. hero_of_canton

hero_of_canton Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 20, 2007
    lots of good info and ideas guys, thanks a bunch for helping me out with that one, being that i dont have any experience with the EU stuff i was at a loss =D

"its real velour, come on let yourself go" (Zapp Brannigan)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.