main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Question For Americans Who Have An NHL Team In Their City

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Boba_Fett_2001 , Jun 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    You mean the game won't be decided by a bunch of lucky deflections?

Or that there won't be seven hundred turnovers per minute?

Or do you just mean that it wouldn't be boring?

2. Django211

Django211 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 6, 1999
    The Chicago Blackhawks used to have a great following. In the early 90s they were one of the better teams in the NHL and going to a game was a lot of fun. Unfortunately the Wirtz family is quite possibly the worst team owners in sports, and now they are a laughing stock.

3. DarkPrince

DarkPrince Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2005
    [face_laugh] You're kidding right?

I don't see what the big deal is with everyone who wants to see 10 points a game between both teams. That's never going to happen unless one of the teams suck that bad. If you want "spectacular" scoring go watch basketball or even football, or hell even baseball. Something keeps telling me you've never actually watched a full hockey game to get even get a sense of it. Hockey isn't all about luck, it takes skill to do what you call luck.

As for your last sentence. Again, that's called skill; it isn't sloppy. If they keep shooting the puck at the net, eventually something's going to go in. That's what hockey's all about, hitting the net anyway you can. Deflections, "miss-hits"...etc. If you appreciate low scoring games, you realize that both teams are playing great defensivley and are getting chances on both sides of the ice. Just because a game ends 1-1 doesn't mean it wasn't a great game (although with today's NHL you never see a tie anymore, which sucks complete ***, but I can handle that).

You're just so wrong about your analysis it isn't even funny anymore. I really would like to see how you came up with this "analysis" of yours, and if you've ever watched a hockey game in your life because you don't know what you're talking about.

4. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    It's guys on skates. It's pretty effeminate.

Just kidding. I enjoy hockey. I just wanted to listen and find out of DarkPrince's head exploded in anger. :p

5. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I live in San Jose and despite the fact that there are 5 other major pro sports teams within an hours drive, the Sharks get tons of love around here. Competing with the NBA isn't really an issue when your local team is the Warriors. :p The Sharks habitually sell out games and are almost always the front page of the sports section the day after a game. (Monday's during football season are the exception, normally the Niners or Raiders take it then) Maybe it's the fact that the Sharks are the only pro sports team in San Jose, but there is still a massive fan base as nearly everyone I know can identify themselves as a Sharks fan. I realize that they are kind of an exception though and are (monatarily and fan base wise) probably one of the more sucessful expansion teams to come out in the last 20 years in any sport.

6. JediCouncilMember

JediCouncilMember Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2003
    I think it is a combination of things and build up of these things over time.

1. Lockout
    2. Loss of Gretzsky and Mario
    3. Overexpansion
    4. Relocation of teams
    5. Marketing/TV deals (or lack thereof)
    6. (rant) I personally never liked when they did away with the Conference and Divisional names. Seemed like worthless pandering to me.

I do think there is a chance with Crosby to jump into the Gretzsky/Mario roll and at least be a face for Hockey.

But I had a real hard time keeping up with the added teams and those that moved for a while.

I think the over expansion/relocation has hurt the scheduling too at least in the regular season, it seems like the rivalries got watered down or flat out disappeared with some teams moving.

I don't think the NBA or another sport is really to blame. The NBA isn't in that great of shape either. The NBA playoffs were atrocious (outside of GS over Dal) and the Finals were terrible. So not everything is rosie for them either.

Back to hockey, Crosby and the Pens really provide the best marketing tool, the league should place the NHL on his back and hope the Pens can make deep runs into the playoffs and become like Oilers of the 80's.

7. DarkPrince

DarkPrince Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2005
    *head explodes* :p

8. Scondren

Scondren Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 5, 2005

The fact that the Hurricanes exist is why I stopped following Hockey.

9. Qui-Gon_Tom

Qui-Gon_Tom Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 9, 2006
    Hey the Sabres have been around since 1970...before that the Buffalo Bisons were around since the early 1940s as an AHL team...Buffalo is a hockey town, always has been and always will be as long as the economy can support it...I've been watching since I was a kid...early 70's...we get Hockey Night in Canada...nothing like it...every Saturday night...Hockey is part of Buffalo and Western New York's culture...

You know what.....I don't care if hockey sells in non-traditional places...I don't care....I'm not out for the almighty buck...I want good hockey... they used to say that the talent was too thin when we went to 16 teams...then to 21...now the influx of players from around the world...there seems to be the talent...but too many non-discript teams...I don't care if they are around or not...keep the traditional markets...if it doesn't work in the other places...move on...don't keep expanding to chase the buck...also...hey NBC, hey Versus...take a look at HNIC broadcasts...it's excellent....and....I like Mike Emerk's call...I'm glad they told him not to keep on with the human interest stories, just stick to his good play-by-play calling...far too often he would include stuff like "the puck is cleared the length of the ice and when it passes the red center line and the far goal line..it is called icing...and a face-off in the other zoon"...stuff like that...just call the game...It's interesting to hear where the player is from...but last year he would go on and on about his hometown, parents, family...some of it's interesting...but not during the game...just call the game...anyway...I'm glad he didn't do that this year...BUT...no post-game on NBC...heck the Sabre game went into overtime and they went to pre-pre horse race coverage...come on...they even left as soon as game 2 of the final was over...at least they stuck with it when the Ducks won the cup...

Hockey is alive and well in traditional US markets.

10. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    The answer to the question ?why isn?t hockey popular in America? is obvious. We think it sucks (duh).

I have seen entire hockey games in the past. Obviously I haven?t seen many, because I am not a fan, but I have seen enough that I know rules of the game, and I know why I don?t like it.

The essence of hockey seems to me to be being in the right place at the right time (luck), wildly slapping at the puck when you are near the net, deflections off someone?s skate (chance), just keep shooting and eventually one will get by. I think that?s lame. I compare it to someone who ?chucks? in basketball. And who likes a ?chucker??

Of course, luck plays a part in all sports. There are bloop hits in baseball, hail marys in football, and lucky shots in basketball.

Ultimately, I suppose the true answer to the question is simply that it is a matter of personal taste. And there is no accounting for taste. People like what they like. Who knows why?

Yet another scintillating contribution to the forums by me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.