main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL A question for the Comic Book Fans...

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by DarthJurist, Jul 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    I was watching Countdown with Keith Olbermann (a great show, btw) and he mentioned this story. A quick google search confirmed it.

Comic Book to Unveil Princess Di Superhero

I?m not a comic book person so I?m not sure if this appeals to that crowd, but this seriously sounds like an SNL skit. Do comic book publishers routinely pull random famous people and make them superheros? Honestly, it sounds like a publicity stunt but I?m not familiar with the genre, so maybe I?m just ignorant.

Anyone out there willing to take a shot at explaining this while keeping a straight face? ;)

~H~

2. JediAutobot

JediAutobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    While the Marvel people try to keep a straight face in explaining that Princess Di is a mutant and mutants always come back from the dead, IMO it's a publicity stunt. While DC took the lead in media attention stunts (Death of Superman) Marvel is really the one who has taken it and run with it. The recent Rawhide Kid for the Max line is a good example. Take an established (that no one really cares about) character, have a shocking revelation about his orintation in a miniseries (with very provactive covers of course), get Stan Lee to defend him on CNN (I'm pretty sure it was CNN, if not that then another news channel) Viola, instant contreversoy, $$$ on book sales. I'm not saying that Rawhid Kid was a bad or good book. I'm just saying that they did if for the sales. I think the Static-X book is doing it for the same reason.

3. Lt_Dak-Ferris

Lt_Dak-Ferris Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2003
    When I was a kid a had a Pope John Paul II comic book. It was all about his life, from the time he was a boy growing up in Poland to the day he became Pope. No superhero powers, though.

4. JediJeff13

JediJeff13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    But what IF the pope had superpowers? What would they be??

(that's a shout out to you, Penguin....)

5. JediAutobot

JediAutobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    Hey Dak, I had that comic! With him waving off the balcony on the cover right? I still have it somewhere. I won't say it was the first comic I ever had (Fantasic Four 1-4 Trade was) but it was probably the second. I recently saw another copy at the Detroit con, should have picked it up.

6. ThomSolo

ThomSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    Were this for any Marvel mutant comic besides X-Statix, I would agree that it is merely a shameless marketing ploy. For that comic, however, something like this is merely SOP...

7. Le_Penguin

Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    Well, according to the Catholic church, the pope has superpowers, right? Isn't he supposed to be the apex of Catholicism, raving senile fool or not?

And I can't bring myself to get into comic gimmick discussions... not that it's not a valid subject. It's simply too big for a thread, big enough for a thesis. A Tolstoy-length, nausea-inducing thesis.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to pick up two of the few remaining superhero books that are worth buying these days: Moore's finale of "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" and Evan Dorkin's latest issue of "The Thing: Night Falls on Yancy Street."

-Le Penguin
    "No-talent Hanna Barbarian!"

8. Lt_Dak-Ferris

Lt_Dak-Ferris Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2003
    I can't believe that someone else had that comic. That's just plain wacky.

Thinking back, I think it covered his life up until the assassination attempt.

9. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    all i have to say is the folks at marvel are losing it from the sound of things. its just plain stupid.

i hope that this plus the awful hulk movie is not a sign of things to come.

10. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Sounds funny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.