main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A question from a newb.

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by darth_kabbel, Nov 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth_kabbel

darth_kabbel Jedi Youngling

Sep 3, 2002
    I've been working on learning to model characters and I found a tutorial on creating a character. Someone had told me that it would work in Lightwave as well, because the tutorial was made for Max.
    Now for the question:
    What would the equivalence of Meshsmooth with NURMS be in Lightwave?
    Thanks for the help

-DK

[EDIT] forgot the link :/
    3dtotal
    There ya go.

2. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Push the Tab key in modeler to change it over to Subdivision surfaces, which is essentially the same as Meshsmooth, and is the LW 6.x+ replacement for the old NURBS from LW 5.x.

3. darth_kabbel

Sep 3, 2002
    I figured as much, but when I do that it puts gaps in the models and I don't know about reseting the level or amount it subdivides on the model. God that made me sound like a huge freakin newb. :( Anyway, Thanks.

4. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Holes in the model indicate either polygons that have more than four sides (not supported as subdivision patches), or areas of the models where you haven't merged points, allowing two patches to become separated from each other.

The subdivision level setting is done in Layout, since the actual division of the mesh doesn't happen until then, or at render-time. In the Object Properties dialogue box, under the "Geometry" tab. The only time you'd want to increase this setting is if it's rendering with segmented edges and you want to smooth it out further.

5. darth_kabbel

Sep 3, 2002
    thank you very much

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.