main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Question of Clasps and Glasses

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Vaderkahn, Aug 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaderkahn

Vaderkahn Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 8, 2002
    Really two different questions:

I'm finally getting my Sith robes put together, and I'm trying to find a good clasp for it - I know the Emperor/Sidious has a kind of Sith clasp, and I'm trying to find something like that. The robe I'm putting together can either be open or clasped closed, and I'm hoping to use something that not too flashy, but would look good when together or when apart, and look Sith like and not "frilly". I've got some covered hooks that I could make a concealed clasp, so the actual apparent "clasp" could be something that doesn't really hook together. Any suggestions?

Second, I like so many folks wear glasses. Totally ruins the costume effect, and I can't wear contacts. For those out there who do costumes and wear glasses, do you just take them off for pics or try to stumble around blind? I've got a pair of sunglasses that totally cover my real glasses and would probably work for a Miralukan Sith, so that's what I'll be using, but I was wondering if anyone has any ideas?

Thanks!

---
    Vaderkahn

2. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    Well I wear contacts when I'm in costume.. but you might be able to create some snazzy goggles that fit over your glasses or something that would work. Try and work them into your costume.

3. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    Why can't you wear contacts? Is it a question of not being able the proper vision correction? It can't be a comfort question these days. I've been wearing contacts for 27 years, and they've come a long way since then, especially the soft ones. They are extremely comfortable and easy to take care of, now.

4. Vaderkahn

Vaderkahn Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 8, 2002
    Medical reasons - sort of like an allergy. While it's possible I could find a contact that doesn't cause this, it's a matter of causing my eyes to swell each time until I do. My optomitrist does't really want to put me through that and I don't want to risk my eyes. Poor vision is better than no vision, and glasses work wonders.

I've tried incorporating them into outfits, and I can do the quick snatch to remove them for pictures and such. Unfortunately, to look good "all" of the time, I have to find characters who either wear glasses or goggles.

But I can do a great Giles from Buffy!

5. Raef_Wolfe

Raef_Wolfe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2003
    As soon as I read 'Why can't you wear contacts' I felt like saying duh, however then I understood. For me, it's money. My parents don't want to spend all that money on contacts when my eyes are still changeing from bad to worse. I'm not allergic to anything, thank god.

I don't wear glasses with my costume. I can see with them, but it's hazy...like in the summer heat everything has a haze. I can't hope to read a digital clock more than 5-10 feet away without squinting, and sometiems even that doesn't help. My brother is going to be getting some cool goggle things for his and just put his lenses into them. For now I'll have to go 'blind' unless you have any suggestions for a 14 year old.

6. Jedi_Riibu

Jedi_Riibu Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    For some costumes I've tried to go without my glasses (I don't have contacts) but I'm quite blind without them and I always end up just putting them on after an hour or so.

Honestly, I don't think glasses look too bad with a costume.

Here's my Jedi:
    [image=http://www.splunkyard.com/gallery/albums/Other-Pictures-2002/aai.sized.jpg]

And me as Parappa (the rapper):
    [image=http://www.splunkyard.com/gallery/albums/Mikey-QMs-Pictures-2002/aby.jpg]

If you were actually entering a masquerade, definately go without them. But that's also a very managable minute or so that you're on stage.

7. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    I solved my glasses problem with my clip oon sunglasses that fit over myown glasses..:)
    My eyes are photo sensitive, so they are needed.
    They look like the little round sun glasses John Lennon wears or the Woman from Terminaitor 2 with the black BDU pants, boots and tank top.

I've a pic Of them. WHo knows, Jedi should have some sort fo eyewear to protect their eyes from the bright sun.;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.