main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

a question of text color

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Sites' started by katha, Feb 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. katha

katha Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 30, 2002
    on my site I have some fan fics and I've had a few complaints that the text color strains readers' eyes and that I should lighten the color

here is an example of the orginial color, and here is the revised color

Is this an improvement? or would it be better to leave it? any other suggestions?

2. katha

katha Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 30, 2002
    hmm I decided to go darker instead and I like it so never mind.. sorry, but please do tell me if the text looks nice

Thanks

3. YT-Website

YT-Website Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 20, 2002
    I think they look fine.
    Or at least now they do.

4. dArTh_wenley

dArTh_wenley Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 10, 2001

That looks fine on my eyes. :)

5. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    I would suggest a lighter background in all honesty. Some monitors don't have high contrast, so it's harder to read. My secondary 19" has much lower contrast than my main 19" and it makes it hard to read.

6. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Jim = Right.

It looked fine at home, on my monitor, but on the older, crappier monitor at work, it is a strain.

7. ArtyEwok

ArtyEwok LFL Artist star 4 VIP

Mar 18, 1999
    Try to go for as much contrast as you can get without sacrificing the design.

Your problem isn't the colour of the text so much as it is the background.

The best way to test this is to squint and blur your eyes. If the text completely vanishes, then there;s not enough contrast.

If you squint at this post, you'll see a blob of peach and blobs of black from the text, so you can see what I mean.

Just a nice trick I learnt in my first semester of graphic design.

I find the text /extremely/ hard to read, I woudn't be able to read much of it because my eyes would want to roll out of my skull in protest at the lack of contrast. :)

Edited to add, your text doesn't completely disappear in the second one, but the darker blue on lighter bluw doesn't work. Avoding textures behind text, unless it's super subtle, can also aid in readibility. :)

8. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    Aside from the colour, I find adding margins helps readability when it comes to fanfic.

9. Angel_Blue01

Angel_Blue01 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2001
    I use white on black, white links, yellow visted links.

As for margins, I know IE has a <body topmargin=x leftmargin =x rightmargin=x>, but its broken, and it obviously IE specific.

Meaning, use tables. But my site is in a frameset, and margins of any kind will look bad, by forcing either the dreaded horizontal scrollbar, or making the vertical length of the page different depending on the size of the window.

10. ArtyEwok

ArtyEwok LFL Artist star 4 VIP

Mar 18, 1999
    The magin code for Netscape mozilla is:

marginheight=x marginwidth=x

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.