main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A question on music legality

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by halibut, Mar 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    In our latest film, we want to use a 5-10sec snippet of Marlene Dietrich singing "Falling in Love Again"

How do we go about getting permission to use this?

Cheers

2. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    I don't know how it is with actual music, but when you're writing you can legally use up to I think 250 characters of a song or poem without needing to get permission.

3. JonathonVandergriff

JonathonVandergriff Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 29, 2000
    WRONG! Never, ever, under any circumstances assume you can use somebody else's music without their permission/licensing. This is a major issue and has many BAD (when I say bad, I mean bad...imagine all life ending instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light) outcomes. Danny Elfman once sued someone for using some of his polka beats, and won...BIG (he sorta acts like he owns the polka).

If you don't license it, you run the same risk and more than you would run an unlicensed software product. Somewhere down the line, you're gonna get busted for it. You can't escape ASCAP, because they listen to almost everything!

My advice is to clear the copyright, licensing, fees, and ask the song writer before continuing.

4. flyingseal

flyingseal Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 20, 2002
    i am beginnin to dislike danny elfman :eek:

5. JabbaPapa

JabbaPapa Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2002
    Hrrmmm. My advice to anyone giving advice on this matter is that you really shouldn't, if you're in the US (which I'm not), because YOU could be held legally responsible if some poor sap follows bad advice given by you (yeah, US copyright laws are _really_ screwy). French copyright laws are a lot better than the US ones. The system in France is that you can basically use whatever you want (there are exceptions), by declaring and paying royalties to the SACEM, which then transmits the royalties to the correct parties.

6. flyingseal

Mar 20, 2002
    i live in holland.
    don't know the copyright laws for them here.
    have to check them out first.(because i also use music for my fan made film.)

7. Rebel-3000

Rebel-3000 Jedi Youngling

Mar 26, 2002
    You can legally use up to exactly 5 seconds of any sound without breaching copyright. This can be from a speach, song, movie, radio... you get the picture. Any more than 5 seconds in a sample and you'll be sorry.

8. flyingseal

Mar 20, 2002
    depends on which country you live.
    different rules everywere.
    just read what jabbapapa said.

9. emupiett

emupiett Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 1, 2000
    I would recommend that you check out www.copyright.gov. I believe you may contact any of the copyright holders to get permission. However, it might be tough actually finding a way to contact them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.